Is reading just a few pages from copyrighted book online a grave matter?
I was reading a Catechism of the Catholic Church online in my native language from a official page where it was put on, the page is not maintained well, and there were a few parts missing. So I went to other source and read a few pages (maybe 5) that were missing from official page. I doubt that a person from that other place had a permission to put a catechism there. Was it a grave matter?
Hi Les:
They want you to read it, so don’t worry. Every Catholic wants the Catechism to be broadcast to everyone in the world, without restrictions or copyrights. I’m sure some company/corporation would like to copyright the
Bible too, if they could get away with it (but we won’t let them). The Catechism is a beautiful part of our human culture, our catholic view…it is not for sale, and it is certainly not for profit. The entire (fulltext) of the Catechism is online, here:
scborromeo.org/ccc.htm
vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
Some people worry way too much about copyright. Thankfully, the fear of governments and corporations is dying out…when I ask my students in class, many don’t even care about it anymore. “Sir, we can get all that online, for free!” The younger generation has lived its entire life on a (largely free) internet, it seems…and they’re not gonna let companies put it all behind paywalls or barriers. Read it all you want; there is no sin here.
And if you are still worried, consider Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights: “Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.” (Emphasis Mine) So don’t worry if you had to go to some other website to read what you wanted to read. Again, there is no sin here.
Jacques