Cord of Our Lady?

• Thread starter Thread starter Trust_in_Him
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trust_in_Him

Quite a while ago, I brought a white cord. It has a miraculous medal on it, and I was told it was it the “miraculous cord of Our Lady”. I was also told to wear it under my clothes:confused: Does anybody know about this?

if you mean the miraculous medal, do a search under “devotions” on a catholic website like catholicity or ewtn, this medal is meant to be worn around the neck, and by itself is of no value unless you carry out the prayer and devotion associated with it and have the blessing. the value of a sacramental is in the blessing, prayer and devotion it inspires, not the object itself, and worse, if it is used in a superstitious manner like an amulet or lucky charm, it is actually a source of evil.

Thank you for the information. I recognise the medal. However I got told to wear the cord until marriage to protect me from dangers. I am supposed to wear it under my clothes, around my waist.

Now I am not sure what to do with this strange white cord.

I did a Google search on “Miraculous Cord of Our Lady”… and I couldn’t find anything. To be honest, I had never heard of such a devotion either.

I did find a few sites which spoke about the “cord” (by itself, no mention of Our Lady) as being a sign of purity or chastity, though. I think this is why some religious orders of brothers and nuns, where a cord with their habits. Maybe the place where you got your “Cord of Our Lady”… they simply put the medal on the cord, themselves… and then advised you of the symbolic meaning of the cord (to wear it, until marriage)? Could that be possible?

I agree with the previous poster about the medal itself. That it should be blessed, and worn around the neck… in conjunction with the prayers.

Thanks for all your responses! They really helped me.
From Vanessa

My friend wears on around his waist, under his clothes. His is a St. Philomena cord though.

Thank you for the information. I recognise the medal. However I got told to wear the cord until marriage to protect me from dangers. I am supposed to wear it under my clothes, around my waist.

Now I am not sure what to do with this strange white cord.
who told you? if it was not your spiritual director or confessor, ignore the advice unless and until you understand and embrace the reason for the practice.

Thank you for all your responses, and no, it was not a confessor or spiritual director who told me to do this.

It was a person, I met in London.

From Vanessa

I went to a Christmas Fair in Westmister Cathedal Hall. This is where I met the woman, who sold me the cord.

I assume it is similar to the Cord of St. Joseph

According to Tan Books’ Favorite Prayers to St. Joseph:

The Cord of St. Joseph originated in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1657 with the miraculous cure of a devout Augustinian nun. Eventually the devotion of the Cord spread, and numerous special graces were obtained through its devout use. The Cord was used not merely as a remedy against bodily ailments, but also as a spiritual aid to preserve the virtue of purity. The devotion was approved by the Sacred Congregation of Rites on Sept. 19, 1859 and was also blessed and approved by Pope Pius IX.
Graces obtained by the wearing of this cord are 1) St. Joseph’s special protection; 2) purity of soul; 3) the grace of chastity; 4) final perserverance; 50 particular assistance at the hour of death.
The Cord should blessed by a priest and worn around the waist. One who wears the Cord should recite the Golry Be seven times daily in hounor of St. Joseph, together with the Prayer for Purity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back