Corpus Christi processions

• Thread starter Thread starter jco2004
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jco2004

I have found these problematic for some time. I am all for celebrating the Real Presence, and emphasizing it and reverencing it with acts of worship before Communion, or in extra-Eucharistic devotions (as long as they relate back to the Eucharist). But right after Communion- I’m sorry, that is not right. Anyone who worthily recieves Communion has the presence of Christ living within them. It is simply hackneyed to then immediately after bow or kneel to the presence of Christ in the reserved elements- Christ is present there for the purpose of being received, which purpose has just been fulfilled. And the “communion” one has with Christ when He is worthily recieved in the Eucharist is infinitely greater than any attained by reverencing the resrved Host. If I may use an example, this practice is akin to a man, having just made love to his wife, leaving her side to go stare at a picture of her. Joe

:confused: Corpus Christi processions, at least the one we’ve just held in my Archdiocese - ARE outside of Mass and NOT right after Communion. Ours ran between about 2.30 and 3.30 PM - the nearest Masses were at noon and 5pm.

I have no problem at all with Adoration straight after Mass. To borrow your analogy it’s like a man having made love to his wife who stays in bed with her, cuddling her, instead of getting straight out of bed and out the door to go shopping or run some other errand.

The presence of Christ in the Host isn’t an image or symbol in any way - it’s REAL Presence - just as real in the Host in the Monstrance as it is inside ourselves when we’ve received it. More so - the presence in us is obscured by our own presence. Having it reserved in the Monstrance isn’t a second best or poor substitute - just different.

LilyM;2334161 said:
I can’t imagine how anyone can say this. The presence of Christ in the consecrated bread and wine is there for the purpose of being united to us by Communion, not to be isolated and worshipped in and of itself. It is certainly real in itself, but it is not as real to us as when we worthily receive it (Him). It can’t possibly be. As to Christ’s presence “being obscured” by our own presence, that’s the way He willed it so that He could work through us, and we could be transformed into Him. Christ was quite clear: receiving Him in Communion is the central way in which He gives us His life. Other practices, such as Eucharistic Adoration, can help with this, but they all relate back to recieiving Christ in Communion. Joe

So does everyone receive the Eucharist in your parish? If every single person does then yes you do have a point. But there are some who do not, unless your parish is full of perfect people who always receive the Eucharist daily then yes there is less need for a Eucaristic procession, except that Eucharistic processions are good things, and we should always seek ways to honor Christ. Maybe you do receive the Eucharist often, but there are some who do not.

Eucharistic processions are good so they should be done.

How was it so that they did a Eucharistic procession during Mass, or am I misunderstanding you.

God Bless
Scylla

The presence of Christ in the consecrated bread and wine is there for the purpose of being united to us by Communion, not to be isolated and worshipped in and of itself.
Says who? The Host in the Monstrance isn’t ‘isolated’ any more than the Hosts in the Tabernacle are. They’re both consumed at a slightly later point is all.

We can certainly do both, and there’s nothing wrong with doing both. The Host regardless of location is still the Real Presence and worthy of utmost worship in and of itself - at all times!

Besides, it’s not like people are neglecting to receive the Eucharist in favour of merely adoring it or processing with it. They’re doing BOTH.
It is certainly real in itself, but it is not as real to us as when we worthily receive it (Him). It can’t possibly be. As to Christ’s presence “being obscured” by our own presence, that’s the way He willed it
Again, says who that it’s the ONLY thing He willed us to do with it though?

And note that you spoke of receiving him WORTHILY. An awful lot of the people who do receive AREN’T doing it worthily, but doing so in a state of mortal sin. The many who do this are certainly not making Christ’s presence real to themselves or anyone else, and moreover are committing the mortal sin of sacrilege.

All the more reason to try to inspire them with greater respect for the miracle which is the Eucharist and remind them that it’s not a mere symbol or anything less than worthy of utmost respect and adoration. Eucharistic processions and Adoration are a vital means of doing this.
Christ was quite clear: receiving Him in Communion is the central way in which He gives us His life. Other practices, such as Eucharistic Adoration, can help with this, but they all relate back to recieiving Christ in Communion. Joe
Again, if people were adoring INSTEAD OF receiving Christ in Communion you’d have a point. They’re not.

I can’t imagine how anyone can say this. The presence of Christ in the consecrated bread and wine is there for the purpose of being united to us by Communion, not to be isolated and worshipped in and of itself. It is certainly real in itself, but it is not as real to us as when we worthily receive it (Him). It can’t possibly be. As to Christ’s presence “being obscured” by our own presence, that’s the way He willed it so that He could work through us, and we could be transformed into Him. Christ was quite clear: receiving Him in Communion is the central way in which He gives us His life. Other practices, such as Eucharistic Adoration, can help with this, but they all relate back to recieiving Christ in Communion. Joe
Please read:

ewtn.com/library/CURIA/CDWEUCH.htm#3

So does everyone receive the Eucharist in your parish? If every single person does then yes you do have a point.
Of course not. I sometimes don’t. Those who don’t receive can still join themselves to the Eucharistic liturgy. There is planty of opportunity to worhsip Christ in the Eucharist when the consecration tsakes place, and when the priest elevates the Host and says “Behold the Lamb of God…” Joe

Of course not. I sometimes don’t. Those who don’t receive can still join themselves to the Eucharistic liturgy. There is planty of opportunity to worhsip Christ in the Eucharist when the consecration tsakes place, and when the priest elevates the Host and says “Behold the Lamb of God…” Joe
The Eucharist still exists in Heaven ( the Wedding Supper of the Lamb), but yet the saints and angels also worship God on His Throne.

The Eucharist is the Substantial Presence of God, which is the EXACT SAME WAY Christ presents Himself on His Throne.

The Eucharist is therefore meant to be BOTH consumed AND Worshiped in it’s own right.

That is the example of the Angels and the Saints in Heaven, which we would do well to follow.

sounds a bit like, More of me… and that only leads to less of Him.

I realize some other faiths claim the real presence - but “only” during the communion service. Afterwards the bread is just bread again. Poor, confused Jesus.:rolleyes:

Pope John Paul II encouraged the practice of Eucharistic Processions. It is a public way of bringing Jesus to the streets.
Adoration of the Eucharist has proved to be very powerful just as receiving Communion is very powerful. For example, there are people who have gone to Lourdes who have reported being healed after being blessed by the Blessed Sacrament exposed.

Many saints have loved to pray and adore by the tabernacle or the monstrance. I know the Church in her wisdom has kept the Eucharist not only for the sick but to be adored. It is Jesus in person as opposed to just in image or as an invisible spirit. It is the physical Jesus who is still there and Whom we adore.

If we were to have a special feast day procession in honor of Our Lord, like Corpus Christi, would it be far better to use the exposed sacrament as opposed to an image of Him since we would truly be carrying Jesus Christ in the flesh.

So, yes the first purpose of the Eucharistic species is to make us one with Jesus and to commune with Him. It allows Jesus to dwell. However, Jesus wants to be with us by means of his continued presence in the sacred species. The sacred species left over does not return to bread after communion, it remains as Jesus Christ in the flesh and therefore He is therefore entitled to our worship. Jesus is most willing to hear His people who adore Him in His Blessed Sacrament both in Communion and in adoration.

How was it so that they did a Eucharistic procession during Mass, or am I misunderstanding you.
God Bless
Scylla
I have been at a porcession that took place during Mass, after communion but before the closing prayer (I’m pretty sure- it’s been a few years).
I realize most take place immediately after Mass, outside of the church. Joe

That is something new, I am not sure if that is an abuse and maybe some more informed people can chime in.

I wish we would have a Corpus Christi procession, there seems to be a lack of interest in acknowledging the presence of Christ in the Eucharist at my parish at times.

For first communion classes they held a agape meal and showed a video about family meals.
The most interesting thing was what a little girl said, (who’s mom is pretty involved in the Church)

I asked how did the class like the video she said “it doesn’t seem to be about first communion”

I laughed and told her she was right. But I could do nothing as I do not run the class and my parish coordinator was there running it.

So, the point is I would love to have too much devotion as opposed to barely any.

In Christ
Scylla

The presence of Christ in the consecrated bread and wine is there for the purpose of being united to us by Communion, not to be isolated and worshipped in and of itself.
Says who?
Said Christ: “Unless a man eats my body and drinks my blood, he has no life in him.” Where does Christ make a similar claim about Eucharistic adoration?
Besides, it’s not like people are neglecting to receive the Eucharist in favour of merely adoring it or processing with it. They’re doing BOTH.
Not necessarily. I saw an outdoor procession last Sunday; I’m willing to bet there were many in the procession that had not recieved Communion or had received it unworthily. Besides, adoring the Host directly after receiving in Communion necessarily detracts from the importance of Communion, because Communion is meant to be the culmination of the entire Eucharist. The focus directly after Communion should be the living presence of Christ within oneself, not the presence of Christ in the Host, which is there after all primarily for Communion.
And note that you spoke of receiving him WORTHILY. An awful lot of the people who do receive AREN’T doing it worthily, but doing so in a state of mortal sin. The many who do this are certainly not making Christ’s presence real to themselves or anyone else, and moreover are committing the mortal sin of sacrilege.
All the more reason to try to inspire them with greater respect for the miracle which is the Eucharist and remind them that it’s not a mere symbol or anything less than worthy of utmost respect and adoration. Eucharistic processions and Adoration are a vital means of doing this.
If someone doesn’t respect the Eucharist after hearing the words “Behold the Lamb of God” at the heighth of the liturgy, then no amount of processing is going to make them respect it. Joe

From the official liturgical book, Holy Communion and the Worship of the Eucharist Outside of Mass:

“94. In the case of more solemn and lengthy exposition, the host should be consecrated in the Mass which immediately precedes the exposition and after communion should be placed in the monstrance upon the altar. The Mass ends with the prayer after communion, and the concluding rites are omitted. …”.
(The Rites Volume One, Liturgical Press, 1990, ISBN: 0-8146-6015-0, page 675).

“102. The annual procession on the solemnity of Corpus Christi, or on a convenient day near this feast, has a special importance and meaning for the pastoral life of the parish or city. It is therefore desirable to continue this procession, in accordance with the law, when today’s circumstances permit and when it can truly be a sign of common faith and adoration. …
103. It is fitting that a eucharistic procession begin after the Mass and the host to be carried in the procession is consecrated at this Mass. …”. (ibid, page 679).

The Eucharist still exists in Heaven ( the Wedding Supper of the Lamb), but yet the saints and angels also worship God on His Throne.
The Eucharist is a foretaste of, and participation in, the Wedding Supper of the Lamb, but it is not the same exact thing, and God is not worshipped on His Throne in the form of bread and wine.
The Eucharist is the Substantial Presence of God, which is the EXACT SAME WAY Christ presents Himself on His Throne.
Christ is on His Throne under the forms of bread and wine? I don’t think so. Joe

Joe – If you’re really interested in the rationale behind Eucharistic processions, you should go read St. Thomas Aquinas. Not only was he one of the major forces behind instituting the Feast of Corpus Christi in the first place, he also wrote the Mass for it, right down to the hymns and sequence. You can also look into the history of all sorts of holy processions through the streets, for all sorts of occasions, with all sorts of decoration and merriment. Parades are only a pale reflection of this lovely part of our rightful Catholic heritage.

As for me, I have no problem marching behind Jesus, wherever He cares to lead me through the world. And I’ll sing really loud while doing it. 🙂

I can’t imagine how anyone can say this. The presence of Christ in the consecrated bread and wine is there for the purpose of being united to us by Communion, not to be isolated and worshipped in and of itself. It is certainly real in itself,** but it is not as real to us as when we worthily receive it (Him). It can’t possibly be.** As to Christ’s presence “being obscured” by our own presence, that’s the way He willed it so that He could work through us, and we could be transformed into Him. Christ was quite clear: receiving Him in Communion is the central way in which He gives us His life. Other practices, such as Eucharistic Adoration, can help with this, but they all relate back to recieiving Christ in Communion. Joe
I can’t imagine how you can say the bolded portion above since to truly believe that, you would have to hold that Christ is **less **real to us when we do not receive Him. To say that we are more intimately connected with the Eucharist when we receive is true but the presence is the same, it does not increase with our reception or decrease by our distance. The graces that flow from the presence may increase and be more (though not more “real”) with reception as opposed to adoration. But Christ’s presence in the Eucharist, whether received, adored or even when abandoned is the same today, forever and always.

I suspect the original poster is a troll who has appeared in connection with Corpus Christi’s recent observance.

I suspect the original poster is a troll who has appeared in connection with Corpus Christi’s recent observance.
I’ve posted on this forum many times under a variety of topics. I’ve responded to practically every posting on this thread that has replied to one of mine.
I have been a practicing Catholic for 22 years. However, in the interest of disclosure, I have been interested in Orthodoxy for awhile and may convert. At the very least, I will become Eastern Catholic.
But, I remember you well from past threads and I remember your penchant for name-calling. Joe

but it is not as real to us as when we worthily receive it (Him). It can’t possibly be.
I can’t imagine how you can say the bolded portion above since to truly believe that, you would have to hold that Christ is less real to us when we do not receive Him. To say that we are more intimately connected with the Eucharist when we receive is true but the presence is the same, it does not increase with our reception or decrease by our distance. The graces that flow from the presence may increase and be more (though not more “real”) with reception as opposed to adoration.
We’re arguing over words here. The part of your post that I highlighted above is really essentially what I’m saying. Sure, the presence of Christ in the Eucharistic elements is still there, but that presence will avail us nothing unless we appropriate it thorugh Communion. Again, why else did Christ say “unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood…” Receiving Christ in the Eucharist is not one act of worship among many, it is the central act of worship, without which all other Eucharistic practices are meaningless. It is the only means by which we ordinarily can be incorporated into Christ and into His body, the Church. Both Augustine and Aquinas were absolutely clear on this. Being in the presence of Christ, by itself, avails us nothing. “But Lord, you taught in our streets…” Honoring the presence of Christ is good and can benefit us, sure, but it can’t take the place of communion with Him. At most, it is equivalent to a sacramental, like crossing oneself or partaking of holy water. Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back