Correct English translation for the Pange Lingua?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TBolt1000T
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TBolt1000T

Guest
I’ve noticed that the most common English translation of the Pange Lingua that I’ve come across, “Sing, My Tongue, the Savior’s Glory,” seems to be very inaccurate in places if I’m understanding the Latin correctly. Does anyone have a literal English translation, that isn’t corrupted by the need for rhyming words? Thanks.
 
I’ve noticed that the most common English translation of the Pange Lingua that I’ve come across, “Sing, My Tongue, the Savior’s Glory,” seems to be very inaccurate in places if I’m understanding the Latin correctly. Does anyone have a literal English translation, that isn’t corrupted by the need for rhyming words? Thanks.
Translating a song into a song is not “corruption,” sorry. A very literal translation would be unsingable, and un-English as well, as with “Sing, tongue, the mystery of the glorious Body.” But if you’re that troubled by it, just sing it in the Latin, then you will not have to worry about any inaccuracies or corruptive influences. 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top