Correct Rubrical Formation Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter bubba451
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bubba451

Guest
From what I understand, any server at a TLM should be an instituted Acolyte. Due to the lack of those, we ALLOW any intelligent male to serve.

Thinking here of what is best/most respectful, not what is just allowed, should a server always be on the way to the priesthood or can a server be a minor order. I have seen no requirement to either become a Deacon or Priest. Can one just serve as an acolyte or Sub deacon on a more or less permanent basis as a service to the parish?
 
From what I understand, any server at a TLM should be an instituted Acolyte. Due to the lack of those, we ALLOW any intelligent male to serve.

Thinking here of what is best/most respectful, not what is just allowed, should a server always be on the way to the priesthood or can a server be a minor order. I have seen no requirement to either become a Deacon or Priest. Can one just serve as an acolyte or Sub deacon on a more or less permanent basis as a service to the parish?
IIRC, in the TLM acolyte and subdeacon were minor orders reserved to those headed for the priesthood and there was no permanent diaconate. Are they mixing and matching?
 
No–no mixing and matching. Just a question on proper procedures-since Acolytes are supposed to be ordained to serve by Rubric (and we have too few of those in our community) we have allowed others to fill their places-i.e. altar boys. We have a couple of adult men who are also serving. Neither are currently seminarians. I was wondering if the adults planned to fill that position in a Latin Mass community, as an adult should he be forming himself for the deaconate or the priesthood? Anybody ever heard of somebody staying at the Acolyte position without moving to the deaconate or priesthood?
 
I would say that most parishes before Vatican II did without acolytes and subdeacons – why would it be different now? The only time we would have had anyone in minor orders in town it would have been if the seminarians were home for holidays. Lots of altar boys though. Even altar ‘men’ since my dad served until he was 39 or so in 1952.
 
No–no mixing and matching. Just a question on proper procedures-since Acolytes are supposed to be ordained to serve by Rubric (and we have too few of those in our community) we have allowed others to fill their places-i.e. altar boys. We have a couple of adult men who are also serving. Neither are currently seminarians. I was wondering if the adults planned to fill that position in a Latin Mass community, as an adult should he be forming himself for the deaconate or the priesthood? Anybody ever heard of somebody staying at the Acolyte position without moving to the deaconate or priesthood?
I have been called to service of TLM and payerfully to the Deaconate, since I am married. It was only brought up to me once, but the question of serving TLM was as if it were a Ministry in itself. To clarify, I was only 4 years old at the end of VI and subsequently slow to change including our parish where I was attending Catholic school until an obvious change had occurred somewhere around 1969 when I was 8. I received my Sacraments and became an Alter boy that same year. I thought that all 20 of us or so boys were prepairing for the Priesthood, and some 10 years later actually went to seminary. That’s how its reverance and service was taught to us at the time. I am not quite 50 years old and am slowly working my way through the understanding of what has to be done, but have yet to take the first step to become a Deacon (I do not believe in married Priests, so don’t even go there). But have made contacts with another adult who also is being called to serve TLM. No boys from any of our Parishes are interested to my knowledge. The issue of what is proper has not been brought up.
 
Technically, in the US, any male over the age of 21 who is properly formed may become an instituted acolyte if permitted by his Bishop. However, most Bishops only institute men who are in seminary. This is because being and institued acolyte and lector are still required before the Deaconate. My view would be that due to the Novus Ordo being the OF and the “TLM” being the EF, to be properly formed, one must know the OF, but not necessarily the EF. So basically, ask your Bishop. (I asked mine and he simply said nope, must go to seminary. THen he asked me when I was going to seminary and laughed lol)

Pax
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top