There are some incredibly funny, campy, and silly cross-dressing comedy acts. My absolute favorite is this one. All of these guys are professional ballet dancers from big companies, and they do a schtick on excerpts from classical ballet. In ballet, men do not generally dance on their tiptoes (en pointe) as women do. The fact that they learned to dance en pointe in addition to the choreography for the roles make me really respect them as artists, and I’m a retired dancer from the New York City Ballet.
These are all men, and remember, most of these men are straight. (It’s a very big misconception that most men in professional ballet are homosexual.) It’s a comedy act. These guys are doing this as a comedy routine, and they’re not transvestites. They’re in costume for a legitimate theatrical performance (and they’re darn good at it.) And I seriously doubt God gives a hoot one way or another about it.
With genuine assaults on marriage, the family, the perverting of young people’s sexual identity and sense of decorum and modesty, He has bigger fish to fry than whether or not you are participating in a re-enactment of some historical period. I actually thinks He gets a big laugh out of it.
We Catholics need to get over the idea that life is *exclusively *a vale of tears, that our bodies are evil (the Pelagian heresy, if I’m right on that one,) and that sanctity requires that we look like we were weaned on a pickle. Christ Himself says so in His treatise on prayer. We are joyful people, why wouldn’t we be joyful? We already know how it all works out, if we are serious about repenting from sin. We win.
Here are links to the comedy acts I wrote about:
youtube.com/watch?v=1giFy6ktVYE
Or this:
youtube.com/watch?v=6rpqmcXqcNw
I’d have to consult the catechism, but something tells me that cross dressing is sinful when it becomes obsessive, overtakes someone’s identity, or is used to deliberately defraud. Wearing a costume, or playing a role of the opposite gender, isn’t. If it was, I doubt the Sisters in my all-girls high school would have permitted us to put on “West Side Story” as our junior musical. (I had to play a Shark, because my skin is dark.) I’d also like to remind people that St. Joan of Arc initially had to “cross dress” to become a part of the army of the day. I don’t think we’d refer to a canonized Saint as a sinner.
But if you continue to have doubts, I’d suggest you contact your parish priest.