Could a devout Catholic be a sex therapist?

  • Thread starter Thread starter benjammin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

benjammin

Guest
Just wondering if a devout catholic could be a sex therapist. Certainly helping married couples out might be seen as good, and if they established that they would only help married couples it would be okay, but some things would be a little tough. For example I saw a sex therapist who actually was fairly close physically with the husband and wife she was helping out to the point she would sit next to the guy and hug him and then leave when things went past a pg rating. So could a devout catholic be a sex therapist?
 
A basic definition of a sex therapist is the following:

“Sex therapy is the treatment of sexual dysfunction, such as non-consummation, premature ejaculation, erectile dysfunction, low libido, unwanted sexual fetishes, sexual addiction, painful sex, or a lack of sexual confidence, assisting people who are recovering from sexual assault, problems commonly caused by stress, tiredness, and other environmental and relationship factors. Sex therapists assist those experiencing problems in overcoming them, in doing so possibly regaining an active sex life.”

As a devout Catholic, one could conceivably treat anyone for any of the above conditions. Sometimes the therapy moves from “talk” and/or “medication” to “practice”. In that case, as a Catholic health professional someone would have to determine their limits and communicate those to potential clients.
 
I feel that there is something odd about this, but I can’t tell you why. Maybe it is my perception of what goes on in sex therapy. Wish someone could verbalized my feelings for you as my gut reaction to your question is “no”.
 
I feel that there is something odd about this, but I can’t tell you why. Maybe it is my perception of what goes on in sex therapy. Wish someone could verbalized my feelings for you as my gut reaction to your question is “no”.
I know what you are getting at and thanks for your answers. I kind of feel the same way about some aspects because there are some things that just might be morally wrong that a sex therapist does.However, I think there are certain things though that are morally okay, and maybe rather than a sex therapist, a devout catholic could be a marriage counselor who happens to address these issues
 
I feel that there is something odd about this, but I can’t tell you why. Maybe it is my perception of what goes on in sex therapy. Wish someone could verbalized my feelings for you as my gut reaction to your question is “no”.
Therapy can encompass wide territory. It could be a form of counseling, talk, or drug therapy and a combination of all three. I suppose one could even put physical surgery or procedusres under this broad category.

I think your concern is that the “image” from popular culture and TV shows where sex therapists are just a euphemism for prostitutes, etc. I am sure there are people who call themselves “sex therapists” are like this. That is obviously what Catholic health professionals should NOT be doing.:eek:

Again, sexuality is a wonderful gift from God that had been abused and as a result many have been physically, psychologically, and spiritually wounded through their actions and sometimes through no fault of there own.

A caring Catholic health professional could be a poweful part of the healing process.
 
If there are theories and practices that are compatible with Catholic teaching, then I would say so. That being said, there are some theories and practices that are NOT compatible with Catholic teaching. For example, one of the therapies for rehabilitating pedophile sex offenders uses frequent masturbation to “re-train” their sexual attractions. It was explained by one of the sex therapists who treats sex offenders, and I won’t go into detail about it because it makes me want to vomit.
 
Provided you know your faith (what is and is not licit), I don’t see why not.

I have a friend who goes to one because she has an issue. The therapist gives her exercises and things to do to help this problem/things for her DH to do. There really isn’t anything squicky about it.

I think it is reminding me of those who think gynecologists shouldn’t be men- if this is your PROFESSION, which you’ve studied for years, generally fixing things that are wrong, there isn’t anything titillating or “exciting” about it.

In college, a large part of my degree involved reproduction. I guarantee an unclothed body is in no way exciting to me, especially when in a medical setting, and when looking to fix something which doesn’t work properly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top