J
jlr247
Guest
Hi, I’m trying to respond to a friend’s email asking a bunch of religious-type questions, and I think I’m done writing my response (finally). I’d really like if some of you (way) more experienced folk could read it and give me some feedback. Thanks!
ps, i’m only a recent revert, I’m in RCIA. Go easy on me!
ps, i’m only a recent revert, I’m in RCIA. Go easy on me!
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I’ve been busy this past week, and I haven’t been checking my emails. Actually, I only check my hotmail emails like, once a month. So, if you have more questions after this email, I’m going to direct you to a website that I like going to: forums.catholic-questions.org/ You can ask pretty much anything about our religion there, and a ton of people will reply (fast, too). You’ve got my permission to quote me if you ask about this stuff on the forums.
Another thing you might be interested in is this book called Mere Christianity by C.S.Lewis. He was an Atheist who became a Christian and wrote this book about why God exists. Its actually pretty good, I’ve read it. You could get it from the library, I know they have it.
Anyways to reply to your email…:
“If he is all knowing then why create an entity that opposes him?”
Goodness is based on the objective truth that is God. He has revealed to us what good behavior is; obedience to His will. To be disobedient is what is bad behavior.
God could have chosen to have not created Lucifer, knowing that he would become evil. The world would be a place only filled with God’s goodness and greatness; humans would have no hard decisions to make, or temptations to avoid. Human would not know what evil was! However:
If he did that, humans would not appreciate or respect him, they would not realize the greatness of his love, nor would they love him back. They would not have to consciously choose God and goodness, because that would be the only option. Humans would take God for granted. To prevent this from happening, he gave his creatures free will. Yes, he knew that some of his creatures would turn away from him (like Lucifer), and curse him, and act as though he didn’t exist. He knows that some will choose this, and of course it pains him because he loves everyone and wishes for them all to choose him.
Even though God realizes the downside, he chose to give free will to the people anyways. This is because now he will have children who love him, honor him, realize that he is good, and the creator of all that is good on Earth. These children who love, respect and honor him would be a far greater thing to God than the people he could’ve created who do not know he meaning of goodness. The difference would be something like the difference between having a son/daughter, and building a robot who has been programmed to love you. Yes, the robot will obey you, but will it truly love you? The robot has no choice in the matter, and therefore this artificial love is quite meaningless. On the other hand, the child can rebel, maybe even desert you in old age, but is the risk not worth it when the child could also choose to love honor and respect you? Most people would choose the risk of a child over a robot who has been programmed to “love”. God is the same. He wanted to create something wonderful, not a lot of meaningless automated nothingness.
So, to answer your question, there was no reason for God to have NOT created Lucifer.
“If God is all knowing wouldn’t that suggest that he would know about the uprising of the archangel Lucifer?”
continued belowGod knew Lucifer was being delinquent. Lucifer was prideful and wanted to be independent of, and equal to, God. God didn’t like this, and booted Lucifer out of heaven for his disobedience. He took some of the angels with him, who had also fallen. This group became demons; malicious beings deprived of God’s grace.