Could Jesus and the Buddha be friends?

• Thread starter Thread starter jredden92
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
And why could not the Buddha do the same? The Buddha could no more be Christian than Moses; Christianity did not start until after both had died.

Jesus called the corrupt Sadducees a nest of vipers, but did not show the same hostility to the pagan woman or the Samaritan woman or the roman centurion.
The pagan woman, Samaritan woman, and the Roman centurion worshipped him and had faith in him.

Those who are not with Christ are against him.

“He that is not with me, is against me: and he that gathereth not with me, scattereth.”
Matt. 12: 30

Moses is not a saint? Nor Abraham?
You claimed that
the Catholic Church made the Buddha a saint.
Again re read the entry into the encylopedia you cited. It does not say the Catholic Church canonized Buddha.

For a person to be properly declared a saint in the Latin Rite Catholic Church there is a process the Church undergoes. Not one Old Testament figure has been properly and formerly Canonized a saint.

An Old Testament Prophet-Moses and the Patriach of the Israelites and the adopted father of all Christians-Abraham. These are certainly prominent people who walked with God. Moses is said to have written books of the Old Testament.
Remember we are discussing canonized saints here. The Latin Rite Church has not canonized any Old Testament figures.

Last edited:
Moses is not a canonized saint, nor is Buddha. We are free to venerate who we want, that still doesnt make that person a canonized saint of the Latin Rite Catholic Church.

“The patriarchs, prophets, and certain other Old Testament figures have been and always will be honored as saints in all the Church’s liturgical traditions.” - Catechism of the Catholic Church #61

40.png
Duke12VonFalkenburg:
False. You seem to have a fondness for legends and other fictions.
The Catholic Encyclopedia is fiction? Look at the bottom of the page, this particular fiction has an Imprimatur and a Nihil Obstat.
I’m sorry, but I just read the article in the Catholic Encyclopedia.

NOWHERE does it indicate that Buddha is a Catholic Saint.

All it mentions is the legends of Barlaam and Josaphat. It doesn’t claim any of it to be true or false.

40.png
umamibella:
A non Catholic cannot become a canonized saint. full stop, end of story.
Moses is not a saint? Nor Abraham?
That’s different. They are “Old Testament Saints.”

The only Saints before Jesus’s time are directly mentioned in the Bible.

Buddha is not mentioned in the Bible.

Moses is not a formerly canonized saint of the Latin Rite Catholic Church, neither is Buddha.

Not one person of the Old Testament is a formerly canonized saint.
“The patriarchs, prophets, and certain other Old Testament figures have been and always will be honored as saints in all the Church’s liturgical traditions.” - Catechism of the Catholic Church #61
This does still not make them formerly canonized Saints. They can be honoured as saints, sure, but they are not formerly canonized. The Church has her reasons for not formerly Canonizing any figure of the Old Testament.

Buddha is not in the Old Testament.

Then they are not what the church considers formerly canonized catholic saints.

I’m not trying to say the Buddha is a saint. I was just pointing out that I’ve read differently from what you said about Old Testament figures not being saints.

I’m not trying to say the Buddha is a saint. I was just pointing out that I’ve read differently from what you said about Old Testament figures not being saints.
There is a difference here, the terminology is crucial.

Then they are not what the church considers formerly canonized catholic saints.
But ultimately this is irrelevant to the question. Buddha may or may not be in Heaven, and thus may or may not be a saint, and thus may or may not be a “friend” of Christ. We cannot know.

We don’t need to bring Moses or any other “known” saint into it, because they’re not comparable to Sidartha in any way, shape, or form. We might ask whether Socrates is in Heaven, but we cannot know. However, we can know that Moses is in Heaven.

Last edited:
Moses is not a canonized saint, nor is Buddha. We are free to venerate who we want, that still doesnt make that person a canonized saint of the Latin Rite Catholic Church.
Moses (and the other Old Testament Saints) became a Saint before there was an official canonization process, just like St Justin Martyr.

But regardless, Buddha is NOT a Catholic Saint. Whether Buddha is in heaven or not is a different question & something we will never know until we die. But regardless, Buddha is not a Catholic Saint.

Last edited:
What are the Church’s reasons for not formally canonizing Old Testament figures as Saints?

Moses (and the other Old Testament Saints) became a Saint before there was an official canonization process, just like St Justin Martyr.

But regardless, Buddha is NOT a Catholic Saint. Whether Buddha is in heaven or not is a different question & something we will never know until we die. But regardless, Buddha is not a Catholic Saint.
Again, there are no formerly canonized Old Testament saints. That is the point I am making to rossum in response to his or her post.
What are the Church’s reasons for not formally canonizing Old Testament figures as Saints?
That is a great question and one I am researching. I am hoping someone like Bishop Barron has a simple podcast on the reasons 🙂
Maybe CA has an answer to this too.

Last edited:
Because the Church already recognizes the Saints who were already considered Saints before the official process was created.

Every single Saint mentioned in the Roman Canon of the Mass was considered a Saint BEFORE the Canonization process was created.

For example The Twelve Apostles, Saint Cecilia, St Lucy, St. Perpetua, St. Felicity, etc. were never canonized via a documented process.

Now a few of them were, like St Agatha, were later confirmed to be a Saint by a future Pope, but most of them in the Roman Canon of the Mass were never “canonized” by the Pope. This is because the process used to be up to the people, not limited to His Holiness.

cc: @umamibella

Last edited:
I will spam a few links that attempt to answer this question as to why there are no Old Testament figures that are formerly canonized saints.

We are talking about a formal process of the Catholic Church here. Bear that in mind as that is the question to be answered. There is a formal process to becoming a saint that must be adherered too in the Church.

We must define a difference between a formal canonization and a person honoured as a saint. This is relevant to the statement made by rossum.

http://jimmyakin.com/2012/08/why-dont-we-call-moses-and-elijah-saint.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back