?Countering Knust on Bible's Silence about Sexuality

  • Thread starter Thread starter stceolfrithtx
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stceolfrithtx

Guest
Yes, “Pastor” and self-proclaimed Biblical Scholar Jennifer Wright Knust, writing for CNN, is not exactly steeped in Christianity. A friend of mine posted this article on Facebook but demanded no comments. So I want to post an article about the Church’s loving teachings on Maleness and Femaleness instead! Does anyone have one?

Knust relies on gnosticism and a post-Christian (3rd century) rabbi to make her point in this article that is supposedly her take on “The Bible’s surprisingly mixed messages on sexuality”. It’s absolutely awful. She says that the sin of Gomorrah was actually sexual relations with ANGELS. Apparently, nobody at Columbia or Union Theological Seminary taught her that Angels are NONCORPOREAL!

And the angels who did not keep their own position, but left their proper dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains in deepest darkness for the judgment of the great day. Likewise, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities which, in the same manner as they, indulged in sexual immorality and went after strange flesh, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire (Jude 6-7).
 
Some things are so loony that they are better ignored than graced with a response. I like your idea of separately posting a link to catholic teaching.
 
This theme of a common human vocation to holiness in a communion with each other that is also a communion with the Divine Communion weaves through the nine chapters of the letter On the Dignity and Vocation of Women. Chapter I sets the meditation in the context of the Marian year (I, “Introduction”, sections I and 2). It is followed by a treatise on Mary, the paradigm of the dignity and vocation of women (II, “Woman Mother of God”, sections 3-S). The next two chapters constitute a Christian sexual anthropology (III, “The Image and Likeness of God”, sections 6-8, and IV, Eve-Mary”, sections 9-I I). Chapter V, “Jesus Christ” (sections I2-I6) is a breathtaking phenomenology of the countercultural behavior of Jesus toward women. Chapter VI (“Motherhood-Virginity”, sections 17-22) returns to Mary as the epitome of feminine dignity and the model for all men and women in all interactions and relationships. Chapters VII (“The Church — the Bride of Christ”, sections 23-27) and VIII (“The Greatest of These Is Love”, sections 28-30) draw important practical conclusions about the roles of women in Church and society. The last chapter (IX, “Conclusion”, section 31) is a prayer of thanksgiving to the Holy Trinity as Creator, Redeemer, and Sanctifier of women, for all the “fruits of feminine holiness” throughout the centuries.
catholiceducation.org/articles/feminism/fe0013.html

ewtn.com/library/MARRIAGE/MANWOM.TXT
 
She says that the sin of Gomorrah was actually sexual relations with ANGELS. Apparently, nobody at Columbia or Union Theological Seminary taught her that Angels are NONCORPOREAL!
Pretty bizarre. But the usual explaiining-away of the events is 'insufficient hospitality." :rolleyes: Kind of reminds me of the line in Annie Hall, I think, wherein his character expresses incredulity that one wife divorced him because of “insufficient laughter.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top