Cousins

• Thread starter Thread starter mzannie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mzannie

How come we refer to Mary’s *cousin *Elizabeth, but we say that Jesus’s *brothers *were really cousins, but there was no word at the time or the language for cousin?

I’m pretty sure we know from other sources and geneologies the exact relationship between Mary and Elizabeth (i.e., Elizabeth’s mother was Anna’s sister). So we know that the correct term in English is “cousin”. Similarly, the earliest sources (from around the end of the first century/beginning of the second) claim that Joseph had children from a prior marriage. They would have been Jesus’ brothers, so the phrase “mother and brothers” were used.

Dr. Colossus:
I’m pretty sure we know from other sources and geneologies the exact relationship between Mary and Elizabeth (i.e., Elizabeth’s mother was Anna’s sister). So we know that the correct term in English is “cousin”. Similarly, the earliest sources (from around the end of the first century/beginning of the second) claim that Joseph had children from a prior marriage. They would have been Jesus’ brothers, so the phrase “mother and brothers” were used.
I thing that the Greek word suggenes is more accurately translated “relative, kinswoman” than “cousin” as we know cousins. I agree that the kinship would have been between between Elizabeth and Mary’s mother, which would have made Anna a “daughter of Aaron” from the tribe of Levi, and would have made Jesus’ earthly lineage half Judah (Mary’s father’s side, the side that counted) and half Levi (Mary’s mother’s side). The royal tribe and the priestly tribe–how’s that for fulfilling prophecy?

DaveBj

40.png
DaveBj:
I thing that the Greek word suggenes is more accurately translated “relative, kinswoman” than “cousin” as we know cousins.
Jesus spoke Aramaic or Hebrew here not Greek. There is indeed a word for “cousin” in Greek, but not Aramaic. If you have a KJV Bible, look at Gn, where Abram and Lot are discussed, after Lot is taken prisoner, in the KJV it refers to Lot as Abrams “brother” we of course know Lot was his nephew. This is what he is called in the NAB, not because it’s more accurate to the original but because we know that was their relationship.
Jesus addresses our concerns about His brothers and sisters, He basically says don’t worry about it, you’re all my brothers and sisters.

In my NAB, Luke 1:36 refers to Elizabeth as Mary’s “kinswoman.”

JimG

Dr. Colossus:
Similarly, the earliest sources (from around the end of the first century/beginning of the second) claim that Joseph had children from a prior marriage. They would have been Jesus’ brothers, so the phrase “mother and brothers” were used.
St. Joseph was not married before and had no relations with any woman, not even Mary… Which is why sometimes we see St Joseph with lilies in his hand (Lilies are a symbol for Purity). “Brothers” or “Brethren” was another way of saying kin… this was just how they adressed family members. Also if Jesus had any brothers, then He would not have been able to give Mary to St John, at the foot of the Cross b/c it was customary for the next sibling to care for the mother.

SarahSmile said:
St. Joseph was not married before and had no relations with any woman, not even Mary… Which is why sometimes we see St Joseph with lilies in his hand (Lilies are a symbol for Purity). “Brothers” or “Brethren” was another way of saying kin… this was just how they adressed family members. Also if Jesus had any brothers, then He would not have been able to give Mary to St John, at the foot of the Cross b/c it was customary for the next sibling to care for the mother.

why do you say this with such conviction? what is your source? The church teaches nothing on this as far as I know. :confused:

40.png
quasimodo:
why do you say this with such conviction? what is your source? The church teaches nothing on this as far as I know. :confused:
**The Chastity of Saint Joseph **
The Church’s constant tradition holds that Saint Joseph lived a life of consecrated chastity. Some of the apocryphal gospels picture him as an old man, even a widower. This is not the Church’s teaching.
We are rather to believe that he was a virgin, who entered into a virginal marriage with Mary. This was to protect Mary’s reputation and safeguard the dignity of her Son.
catholic.net/rcc/Periodicals/Faith/MARAPR99/foster.html

These are great sites too, too long to copy and paste.
ourladyswarriors.org/articles/josmarried.htm

catholicdoors.com/applets/sample04/

catholicapologetics.info/stjoseph.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back