Covid-19 vaccine 90 percent effective in first analysis, Pfizer says

Status
Not open for further replies.

signit

article
The drug company Pfizer said Monday that early analysis showed its vaccine candidate for Covid-19 is more than 90 percent effective at preventing infection.

The news from U.S. pharmaceutical giant Pfizer and its German partner, BioNTech SE, has been welcomed as a major step in the fight against a virus that has plagued the global economy, upended daily life for billions and killed 1.26 million people — nearly 240,000 in the U.S. alone.

Very good news. While I have no intention of being first in line to get it, if it turns out to be safe it would be a real “shot in the arm” from a public health perspective.

Shingle shots are very painful too but I would still get the shot over the shingles…I’ve had both!

This vaccine is welcome news! A few questions are still in the air. We don’t know how long it lasts or if the elderly get as great an immune response as others. This information will come out in time.

First in line for the shots will be healthcare workers and high risk patients. I haven’t heard of a proposed timeframe for beginning to vaccinate…has anyone? We have several high risks in my immediate family and I’m going to get the shot as soon as I can. I’m more than willing to be part of the data set to get back to some semblance of normalcy! :hugs:

I watched the 60 Minutes show last night. They interviewed the 4 star general in charge of Logistics for the Pfizer vaccine.

First: He said the vaccine will be a 2 part thing. You get 1 shot then 21 days later you have to get a second shot. Not an efficient vaccine in my honest opinion.

Second: He was asked how many doses have been made and stored so far. He declined to answer that and said he did not want to cause “ANXIETY” for Americans. That did not sound promising.

Third: Later on they said that Pfizer said that it takes 6 weeks to create 1 Batch.

Fourth: The vaccine has to be stored at “Dry Ice” temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back