Created from Adam's rib?

  • Thread starter Thread starter StrawberryJam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StrawberryJam

Guest
Do you have a choice in taking that portion of the biblical account literally or not?
Does anyone take that portion of the Genesis account literally? Why?
 
Well, either God created Eve from Adam’s rib or not. There’s not much about that part of the Bible that can be taken in a figurative manner.

Out of curiosity, do you have an issue with the literal meaning?
 
Do you have a choice in taking that portion of the biblical account literally or not?
Does anyone take that portion of the Genesis account literally? Why?
In the past I remembering hearing that passage described as meaning “near his heart”. (Adam’s rib).
 
Well, either God created Eve from Adam’s rib or not. There’s not much about that part of the Bible that can be taken in a figurative manner.

Out of curiosity, do you have an issue with the literal meaning?
I am hoping there is a non literal meaning that is also compatible with being a catholic.
In answer to your question, Yes. I object and can not accept a literal meaning.
 
In the past I remembering hearing that passage described as meaning “near his heart”. (Adam’s rib).
That is a very acceptable position IMO. Is this example acceptable for belief? I refuse to take a literal meaning in this case. I don’t think Jews even have to either.
 
Do you have a choice in taking that portion of the biblical account literally or not?
Does anyone take that portion of the Genesis account literally? Why?
I don’t take it literally and doubt you have to. One could say it meant his soul (Eve came into existence with Adam, but originally only Adam was given the soul), or meant it emotionally. Why, out of curiosity, do you ask?
 
That is a very acceptable position IMO. Is this example acceptable for belief? I refuse to take a literal meaning in this case. I don’t think Jews even have to either.
I’m not a young woman and have been to many bible studies in my life. The Bible is so rich in meaning!

A priest who made tapes on Genesis mentioned that it is acceptable to believe that a “day” in Genesis could mean many thousands of years. He also mentioned that it is equally acceptable to believe in seven 24 hour days.

What matters is that we believe that God created everything out of nothing, He gave man free will and a commandment, Adam and Eve, our first parents chose to disobey, lost sanctifying grace, and a Redeemer was promised.
 
It is of great concern to some that science should dictate an interpretation of the work of God. How can this be? Since the Church considers knowledge discovered by man and also the knowledge given to it by divine revelation and held in the Deposit of Faith. If we confess that Jesus Christ was born, lived, died and rose again, from where do we add scientific explanations? If we believe Jesus literally raised the dead, gave sight to the blind, cleansed the lepers and did other things without scientific explanation, why do we stare at Genesis with suspicion?

Here, from the document Arcanum, Pope Leo XIII, tells us what the Church teaches in section 5:

vatican.va/holy_father/leo_xiii/encyclicals/documents/hf_l-xiii_enc_10021880_arcanum_en.html

God bless,
Ed
 
It is of great concern to some that science should dictate an interpretation of the work of God. How can this be? Since the Church considers knowledge discovered by man and also the knowledge given to it by divine revelation and held in the Deposit of Faith. If we confess that Jesus Christ was born, lived, died and rose again, from where do we add scientific explanations? If we believe Jesus literally raised the dead, gave sight to the blind, cleansed the lepers and did other things without scientific explanation, why do we stare at Genesis with suspicion?

Here, from the document Arcanum, Pope Leo XIII, tells us what the Church teaches in section 5:

vatican.va/holy_father/leo_xiii/encyclicals/documents/hf_l-xiii_enc_10021880_arcanum_en.html

I am sorry you misunderstood my question.

I am asking questions that are specific. Either you can answer them or you can not.

I refuse to take your link as answer to this question.
 
Yes, I believe that it is to be understood literally. And why not, as a Christian we believe that Christ rose from the dead in a glorified body, literally. And we believe that at Mass the bread and wine become literally the Body and Blood of Christ. Which is easier, for bread and wine to be turned into the Body and Blood of Christ (body, soul, blood and divinity) through every Mass in the whole world, or for God to make woman from a man’s rib?
 
Yes, I believe that it is to be understood literally. And why not, as a Christian we believe that Christ rose from the dead in a glorified body, literally. And we believe that at Mass the bread and wine become literally the Body and Blood of Christ. Which is easier, for bread and wine to be turned into the Body and Blood of Christ (body, soul, blood and divinity) through every Mass in the whole world, or for God to make woman from a man’s rib?
Changing goalposts.
 
I don’t take it literally and doubt you have to. One could say it meant his soul (Eve came into existence with Adam, but originally only Adam was given the soul), or meant it emotionally.** Why, out of curiosity, do you ask**?
I seek truth.
 
Forgive me if I am wrong. I am curious as to why you focus on this verse in particular like a few of the others before me. You seem to be at odds with this verse even though I remember Adam being created out of dust, or dirt. That is just as unbelievable.
Am I wrong in thinking that your objections are neither faith nor reason based but rather “feminine” in origin?
 
Forgive me if I am wrong. I am curious as to why you focus on this verse in particular like a few of the others before me. You seem to be at odds with this verse even though I remember Adam being created out of dust, or dirt. That is just as unbelievable.
Am I wrong in thinking that your objections are neither faith nor reason based but rather “feminine” in origin?
Scientific in origin. Adam being created out of dust is actually aceptable to me from a scientific view.

Google up Neil Tyson, maybe you need some more science in your life.
 
Scientific in origin. Adam being created out of dust is actually aceptable to me from a scientific view.

Google up Neil Tyson, maybe you need some more science in your life.
In 1996 scientists proved that a cell taken from a specific body part could recreate a whole individual. Dolly the sheep was cloned from cells taken from a mammary gland and became the exact replica of the donor.
This should be adequate proof that cloning is not new to Almighty God. He created an exact female replica of Adam.
Male Adam, created with X and Y-chromosomes. Eve’s femininity due to her possessing a Y chromosome only. Adam being the life giver to X – male, and Y- female offspring.
 
In 1996 scientists proved that a cell taken from a specific body part could recreate a whole individual. Dolly the sheep was cloned from cells taken from a mammary gland and became the exact replica of the donor.
This should be adequate proof that cloning is not new to Almighty God. He created an exact female replica of Adam.
Male Adam, created with X and Y-chromosomes. Eve’s femininity due to her possessing a Y chromosome only. Adam being the life giver to X – male, and Y- female offspring.
Without even trying to argue what you have posted here. I have to ask you this.
Are you saying Eve is a clone and God was the first one to clone, yet cloning is immoral according to the church? Um. Okay.
 
Without even trying to argue what you have posted here. I have to ask you this.
Are you saying Eve is a clone and God was the first one to clone, yet cloning is immoral according to the church? Um. Okay.
You wanted scientific proof - Dolly is a scientific fact.

Almighty God will and can use any method He prefers.

It is not man’s province to play Creator / God and clone…
 
Do you have a choice in taking that portion of the biblical account literally or not?
Does anyone take that portion of the Genesis account literally? Why?
There is no requirement in Catholic theology or doctrine that one take that passage of Genesis literally.

My own opinion is that the passage is true in that sense that it expresses a deeper truth about God and God’s relationship to mankind, but not literal in the sense that the first woman was literally formed from a rib taken from the first man. One of the errors we see in society today is that too many people have forgotten that literal and true are not the same thing. This passage illustrates the difference, IMHO.
 
You wanted scientific proof - Dolly is a scientific fact.

Almighty God will and can use any method He prefers.

It is not man’s province to play Creator / God and clone…
What you are saying is that when God does something, it’s no longer immoral because he seems to choose a lot of immoral ways to get things done. I mean, immoral for us that is. Why couldn’t he have chosen morally acceptable ways, or I mean ways we realize are morally acceptable to do things in so many instances in the bible? Is that asking too much that he at least appear to be minimally as moral as we can be?
 
What you are saying is that when God does something, it’s no longer immoral because he seems to choose a lot of immoral ways to get things done. I mean, immoral for us that is. Why couldn’t he have chosen morally acceptable ways, or I mean ways we realize are morally acceptable to do things in so many instances in the bible? Is that asking too much that he at least appear to be minimally as moral as we can be?
When we try to figure God out we can get in trouble with our thoughts. Everything God created is good, no matter how He did it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top