I have read through this entire conversation with the hope of fnding something that would help me to explain to my 7th grade daughters science teacher that evolution is a theory not a fact. My daughter is in the VA school system so it is different from CA and TX. We have the SOL’s (Standards Of Learning). I hve tried to teach my children at home that evolution is certainly a possibility however has not yet been proven with respect to man evolving from apes. I do accept that evolution does happen though. This does not go against our christian faith. The teachers response to this was to have my daughter research and discuss “Annie”. She was not told any more than that. She didn’t know what this was all about. I helped my daughter with her research and gave her three different publications discrediting Annie. The teachers response to this was " Well it’s an SOL so that is what you will learn". I realized that I was about to get confrontational with this teacher and let it go for the time being. I want my daughter to be able to ask questions and provide explinations without being shut down by a teacher. I am not a teacher, I’m a Chief in the Navy. My tactics probably won’t work with teachers in the public school system. I want my children to be taught evolution as a theory not fact. You all seem to have a much better grasp on this than I do. Please help me with how I should handle this situation.
Respectfully
Bill
You misunderstand the words “theory” and “fact” when used in a scientific context.
Science has a Theory of Motion (would you deny things move?) and Theory of Gravity (would you deny things fall?) and a Theory of Evolution.
Science has a very rigorous definition of proof. Generally, NOTHING is ever proved scientifically. I cannot, for example, prove that the sun will rise for my home town of Chicago tomorrow. I can demonstrate it is highly likely - but I cannot prove it in the sense of removing all doubt. (Not just reasonable doubt - ALL doubt.)
Scientific Theories are proven within a context of reasonable doubt. That isn’t to say a theory is complete. A better, more complete, competing theory may come along and be proven to the same standard. If so, the better theory will be accepted.
The Theory of Evolution is proven beyond a reasonable doubt. There is a HEAVY preponderance of information supporting it. In the books that “disprove” it, there are often misunderstood or outdated facts/assumptions quoted, so that the arguments are really straw man arguments.
There is nothing in the Theory of Evolution that elminates God for the equation. The Theory does not REQUIRE God to be sufficient to explain what happened. That doesn’t mean that one cannot believe in God and also believe in evolution. In fact, there are many things in the Biblical story of creation that are excellent allegories for evolution (and the scientific theory of creation) especially when thinking about teaching creation to an ancient community that basically had no science.
If you hope to find something to explain that evolution is a theory, not a fact, then you are not searching for the truth - you are searching for something to make you feel better. An open mind would ask “Does evoluton explain how life and species arose?” The answer is yes. Does that mean its perfect? No, it isn’t, but it is far better than any alternative. Does that mean that you can say “And I believe that God used evolution as his tool, and gave us a wonderful allegory in His story of creation about how He did so?” Yes, you can - but a belief like that, with out TESTABLE PROOF is not science - its a belief that belongs in religion class.
I hope this commentary helps you.