Creed

• Thread starter Thread starter 123
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isnt the Creed required? At our local church, instead of reciting the Creed we sing, Do You Believe? While it has some of the Creed in it, it is far from complete and, well, just sounds dumb to me.

40.png
123:
Isnt the Creed required? At our local church, instead of reciting the Creed we sing, Do You Believe? While it has some of the Creed in it, it is far from complete and, well, just sounds dumb to me.
Is this a weekday mass or is it a Sunday Mass?

40.png
123:
Sunday Mass
From the GIRM

*The Profession of Faith

*67. The purpose of the Symbolum or Profession of Faith, or Creed, is that the whole gathered people may respond to the word of God proclaimed in the readings taken from Sacred Scripture and explained in the homily and that they may also call to mind and confess the great mysteries of the faith by reciting the rule of faith in a formula approved for liturgical use, before these mysteries are celebrated in the Eucharist.
  1. The Creed is to be sung or said by the priest together with the people on Sundays and Solemnities. It may be said also at particular celebrations of a more solemn character.
If it is sung, it is begun by the priest or, if this is appropriate, by a cantor or by the choir. It is sung, however, either by all together or by the people alternating with the choir.

If not sung, it is to be recited by all together or by two parts of the assembly responding one to the other.

By the way no priest has the authority to change the words of the Creed and if they say they do ask to see the documents that allow them to. Pray a lot to show Charity when you do this.

God Bless.

Another question about the Creed. About 6 months ago, my pastor substituted the Nicene Creed with the Apostle’s Creed at all Sunday Masses. I thought the Apostle’s Creed was only approved for Children’s mass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back