Dunno. I don’t have non-believers in my family.
If you have no non-believers in your family, what on earth did you mean by “I usually ignore the wishes of non-believers” that could apply in this case? Do you not see that there is the tiniest bit of incompatiblity between “I usually ignore the wishes of non-believers” and “try working on your step-mother to return to the Church”?
If they expect us to travel to Hawaii just to fling their ashes on the beach, they should at least set aside money for that purpose; i.e., airfare and hotel accomodations. That doesn’t mean they won’t get a funeral. The other option is being buried in the nearest cemetery.
I don’t know if you realize it, but “I would tell them that right to their face” implies a certain amount of defiance that the parents haven’t asked for here. The issue of money can be raised, yes, but I don’t see where it would help to make ultimatums.
Obviously you haven’t been involved in cremation. Bones do not get reduced. They have to be pulverized. This pulverization does not totally disintegrate them. These are called cremated remains. There are pieces left over after the process that are placed in an urn together with the ashes. Some states have laws against spreading ashes in parks or on beaches.
I pointed out up front that the law could prohibit scattering ashes. There are undoubtedly laws concerning burials at sea, for that matter. It is nothing I’d do without looking into the legal side, when the time came, as laws change.
I’ve also seen a cremation…as in, looked in the oven while it was happening. The bones have to be pulverized afterwards, true, but there isn’t anything remotely like a health threat left in what comes out of that oven. The figure of 1700 F degrees is not an exaggeration (it is on the low side for some ovens) and the process takes in the neighborhood of two hours. Depending on their bone structure, adults are reduced to about 3-9 lb of remains. There isn’t a viable virus, bacterium or so much as a prion left when it’s done.
Oh, by the way, they wouldn’t be told. And it wouldn’t be a sin, as far as I am concerned.
So you’ll tell them to their face that they’d better set up a separate account for you to go to Hawaii if they want their wishes honored, but you wouldn’t tell them to their face that you’re going to do whatever you please in the end, anyway? I realize that wishes cannot always be honored as we would like, but there is such a thing as deception by omission. If someone asks you to do something that important to them, and you say “yes, but only if you save up the money for it” or by your silence imply that you will do it, while fully intending to do no such thing, that is not honest. If you did it to me, I would feel lied to, and without a compelling reason that does not exist in this case, that is a sin.
I’m also not saying a child always has to comply with a parents’ last wishes, or that a child ever has to do something immoral in order to please a parent. I’m saying that the conversation has to be handled with as much respect as possible, that’s all. You don’t have to let yourself be pinned down, even, but you have to have a certain amount of honesty.
PS If you don’t have family members who are non-believers or former believers, you may not realize that handling these issues with sensitivity is very important if you want to have any hope of seeing this person darken the door of a Catholic church ever again. The welfare of your relationship with them and the fate of their eternal souls is a lot more important than the fate of their ashes, let alone some air fare and hotel charges.