Critical Texts and Dynamic Equivalence

  • Thread starter Thread starter WoundedIcon
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WoundedIcon

Guest
Hi guys, I was just wondering what you guys thought about these things, or whether you know of any papal statements (historical or modern) that would clarify some issues about Bible translations. I personally lean towards literal translation and a more traditional approach, but I don’t like how the RSV is from Protestant roots and is missing some readings that are Catholic distinctives (Septuagintal, “in the person of Christ”, “she shall crush”, etc.), and I am uncertain about methods of textual criticism, partly because I’ve seen the train wreck of an arguing mess some of those things can cause among Protestants. At the same time, if I want a modern Catholic-translated Bible from those texts I find that I have to go to the NJB or NAB. I’m weary of dynamic equivalence in the former (I like to really analyze passages 4-Sense style) and I just. can’t. trust. the NAB. Plus it reads like a scholar talking down to a pew-warmer.

You guys probably know more of the Vatican-related side of things though, so I figure I’d ask.

P.S. I was thinking of learning Koine Greek anyways, but since there are no courses nearby I’m afraid I may wind up with a faulty online/self-taught understanding of the language.
 
P.S. I was thinking of learning Koine Greek anyways, but since there are no courses nearby I’m afraid I may wind up with a faulty online/self-taught understanding of the language.
Check online, there are a few excellent resources and classes through Universities. Regis used to have one, not sure they still do.

So, about what you wrote. I noted the charismatic-lite descriptor. I’d say that about myself, esp a few years ago. Let me suggest, and I’ve spent years learning to translate the Greek for myself, that Scripture study is more a spiritual exercise than an intellectual enterprise.

Or possibly it is a spiritual exercise through intellectual enterprise.

Get a bunch of Bibles and concordances and map books and stuff and when you really want to understand and start doing the work, betcha the Holy Spirit kinda takes care of the translation issues. Because no translation is really adequate. Then we can all argue about what the HS told us when we read it. And we can all be right.👍

I love Scripture study. (Also helps if you start doing contemplation on the side.)
 
P.S. I was thinking of learning Koine Greek anyways, but since there are no courses nearby I’m afraid I may wind up with a faulty online/self-taught understanding of the language.
Not very likely. The textbooks you can find online or in your local bookstore and can be most educational, even if you want to just study a limited number of verses to compare either against the vernacular or Latin. I have Croy’s A Primer of Biblical Greek, which I find very useful.
 
Well, Regis doesn’t have the course anymore, no “official” colleges that I looked at (about 10 or 11) do either. There’s one site that blends Koine with Classical Greek to, they say, allow for a more living understanding of the language. That’s about $25 a month, plus the thirty dollar or so cost for a textbook. Right now, as it stands, I’m just gonna use the DRB. Other translations make me feel leery. (sic?)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top