Cross or crucifix, both?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheSeeker2014
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheSeeker2014

Guest
I understand why Catholics use the Crucifix, but my question is it just highly discouraged to use a plain cross or is it not allowed? Or does it really matter? Or, is there “rules” depending on location? Example, displayed in the Chapel vs around your neck.

Personally, I like the meaning of both,

Crucifix, becaues Jesus died for us, and took our sins upon Himself.
Cross, because Jesus rose from the Dead and is now in Heaven. (Alive)
 
I personally prefer a crucifix as it shows what great lengths our Lord went to, to save us. Plus a plain one always seems ‘empty’.

I don’t see anything wrong with a plain cross, however I always thought he was brought down from the cross by 2 of his followers, and placed into his mother’s arms. He later rose from his resting place in the tomb.

In focussing on the crucifix we’d see Jesus doing the will of the Father, and we look forward to his victory and resurrection as promised to the disciples.
 
Hope that makes sense? It would be good to hear other opinions on this, as I have often thought that too, so thanks for asking. God Bless! xx
 
As I understand it, a crucifix is to be visible to the whole congregation at Mass–usually on or behind the altar and one is to be carried in if in procession. Otherwise, for personal devotion either is fine. 🙂

The cross is not a symbol of the resurrection, per se. It is the symbol of Christ’s sacrifice for our sins and for the sufferings he underwent. Many religious wear a “plain” cross as a symbol that they have taken up their cross to follow Christ. Lay people can wear/display either one because they both represent Jesus’ sacrificial death for us.
 
I prefer a crucifix. When I look at our Lord on there, it reminds me of what He did for us.

I meditate when gazing at the crucifix.

Like Skippykerrie stated, a cross seems “empty” to me also.

My preference.

Blessings, :gopray2:
 
A plain cross is certainly allowed.

The rosary worn as part of the habit of many religious might be completed by a plain cross, rather than a crucifix, as a reminder to the man that he must carry his own cross and be crucified to the world.

:twocents:
tee
 
I might be wrong but I believe all if not most Catholic Churches use the “plain Cross” outdoors. I’ve never seen a crucifix on the outside of a Church, exposed to the elements.
 
Crucifix for me too as i prefer to see Jesus than just a plain cross. It makes me remember what he did for humanity.
 
I might be wrong but I believe all if not most Catholic Churches use the “plain Cross” outdoors. I’ve never seen a crucifix on the outside of a Church, exposed to the elements.
Great point… I can’t say I have ever seen a crucifix outside, or if I have, it is not very often.
 
In the US, we don’t have as many outdoor Stations of the Cross, or a lot of other things. Partly this is cultural, and partly because you have to worry about blasphemous vandalism.

But there are certainly plenty of US outdoor crucifixes, especially in Catholic cemeteries or on Catholic college campuses, or at places owned by religious orders.

In Catholic countries, it’s common to have them painted on walls, or sculptured at streetcorners, or what have you. Google Image Search (“outdoor crucifix”) shows a lot of the German-style road shrine crucifixes with the little roofs over them.

Plain crosses are certainly easier to make and maintain, though!
 
Great point… I can’t say I have ever seen a crucifix outside, or if I have, it is not very often.
I have seen the Christ outside as if He is on the cross but not the cross with Him.

 
A plain cross is certainly allowed.

The rosary worn as part of the habit of many religious might be completed by a plain cross, rather than a crucifix, as a reminder to the man that he must carry his own cross and be crucified to the world.

:twocents:
tee
Good, because I wear both, depending on my mood. I’m currently wearing a diamond cross without Jesus on it. Just bought it and love it.
 
In the US, we don’t have as many outdoor Stations of the Cross, or a lot of other things. Partly this is cultural, and partly because you have to worry about blasphemous vandalism.

But there are certainly plenty of US outdoor crucifixes, especially in Catholic cemeteries or on Catholic college campuses, or at places owned by religious orders.

In Catholic countries, it’s common to have them painted on walls, or sculptured at streetcorners, or what have you. Google Image Search (“outdoor crucifix”) shows a lot of the German-style road shrine crucifixes with the little roofs over them.

Plain crosses are certainly easier to make and maintain, though!
Thanks! come to think of it, I have seen the outdoor ones with the little roofs over them (like the one below), but that makes sense why we don’t have many outdoor crucifixes in the US.

google.com/search?q=outdoor+crucifix&biw=1366&bih=651&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=F0QtVfOeJ86MyASvy4CwCA&sqi=2&ved=0CEkQsAQ#imgrc=_
 
I have JUST NOW felt the weight of the Cross that
Jesus might have felt.
I went thru a few hours of feeling condemned(Because of
my at one time serious porno addiction) and I had the displeasing
mental OMEN that something UNLUCKY was going to
happen to me, sort of like wearing a target on my body!!!
Anyway, the Lord showed me that THAT was the way He felt
when the Chief priest and his cohorts condemned Him, saying:
“He is worthy of death!”, the sheer SHAME of being condemned
was enough to make a strong man cringe! Yet those around Him
struck Him and spit on Him to add PHYSICAL torment to His
MENTAL anguish!!!
Therefore, the Cross is MORE than an instrument of death, it
is a memorial of WHAT CHRIST WENT THRU on our behalf,
it is a tribute of the One “who knew no sin to BECOME sin for
us” 2 Cor… 5:21
 
I wore an onyx cross to a Catholic function once and many people asked me what denomination of protestant I was.

So I wear this less frequently now, and wear my crucifix instead.
 
I wore an onyx cross to a Catholic function once and many people asked me what denomination of protestant I was. I like this cross, but didn’t like that people assumed I was not Catholic because of it. So I wear this less frequently now, and wear my crucifix instead.
Oh that is a good point… mis identification.

Others have this problem?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top