Crossing oneself.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eruvande
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eruvande

Guest
I am going to Mass on Saturday (Yippee!) and have a random question, hope that’s ok. I’m familiar with the practice of crossing yourself with holy water before you go in the church. I also see people doing it when they leave, but I seem to recall someone once saying that you don’t need to do that. So, does anyone know for sure - and could you tell me more about the reasons behind the practice?
 
Currently you may not wish to use Holy Water that is available at the door…(due to flu season)

Nor is one required to cross self in entering and leaving (I assume it is the same in the UK)

One make use of Holy Water with the sign of the cross as a profession of Faith, as a sacramental that with prayer, the blessing of the Church etc can involve the forgiveness of venial sins and a reminder of Baptism. The Devil also hates holy water…hence it is used too in exorcisms and blessings etc.

I thought though it would interest you that:

In the early Church for the sign of the cross anytime they did a + on the forehead-- I still use this personally in addition to the common form now…

“Be the cross our seal, made with boldness by our fingers on our brow and in every thing; over the bread we eat and the cups we drink, in our comings and in goings; before our sleep, when we lie down and when we awake; when we are travelling, and when we are at rest”. St. Cyril of Jerusalem

And regarding the sign of the cross per se:

“Making the sign of the cross – as we will do during the blessing – means saying a visible and public “yes” to the One who died and rose for us, to God who in the humility and weakness of His love is the Almightly, stronger than all the power and intelligence of the world.”

-Pope Benedict XVI
Angelus
September 11, 2005

He also talks about it when he was Cardinal in the Spirit of the Liturgy…as a renewal of baptism…as a shield…etc…
 
I read somewhere that it is only necessary to make the sign of the cross with holy water when you enter the church as a reminder of our baptism. You don’t need to do it a second time when you leave.
 
Crossing oneself with holy water is a reminder of our baptism.

Are we required to cross ourselves with holy water when entering a church? No

Are we required to do when leaving a church? No

Should we do so when leaving a church? I can’t see any harm in having a second reminder if we choose…
 
Crossing oneself with holy water is a reminder of our baptism.

Are we required to cross ourselves with holy water when entering a church? No

Are we required to do when leaving a church? No

Should we do so when leaving a church? I can’t see any harm in having a second reminder if we choose…
This. Plus, using the holy water is also a throwback to the times when devout Jews purified themselves in the pool outside of the Temple before entering. Remember, the Hebrews were big on cleanliness.
We “clean” ourselves of venial sins by using the holy water before we enter the Church.
Just as people piously cross themselves with holy water before they leave their homes or before leaving on a cross country trip, we can certainly avail ourselves of holy water when we have the chance. I never miss and opportunity.
 
Crossing oneself with holy water is a reminder of our baptism.

Are we required to cross ourselves with holy water when entering a church? No

Are we required to do when leaving a church? No

Should we do so when leaving a church? I can’t see any harm in having a second reminder if we choose…
One for the road, as they say. :signofcross:
 
This. Plus, using the holy water is also a throwback to the times when devout Jews purified themselves in the pool outside of the Temple before entering. Remember, the Hebrews were big on cleanliness.
We “clean” ourselves of venial sins by using the holy water before we enter the Church.
Just as people piously cross themselves with holy water before they leave their homes or before leaving on a cross country trip, we can certainly avail ourselves of holy water when we have the chance. I never miss and opportunity.
I agree with you, Clare.

Why not use it if it’s available? 🙂

Personally, I would especially want to use it if I were to do any kind of traveling after Sunday Mass for the day.
 
It is the sign of Jesus who died on the cross to save us.
And it is the sign of the Trinity in whom we live.

Done with holy water, it is also a sign of our baptismal cleansing and promises.
 
I read somewhere that it is only necessary to make the sign of the cross with holy water when you enter the church as a reminder of our baptism. You don’t need to do it a second time when you leave.
It not required entering or leaving.
 
When we enter or leave a Catholic church, we bless ourselves with holy water – not simply as a matter of tradition or habit, but as a reinstatement of our baptismal vows to reject satan and accept whole-heartedly God’s teachings and precepts. When we cross ourselves with the holy water we should say a simple silent preyar like “I reject satan, and I desire to live according to God’s holy will.”

Also, there is another layer of significance to crossing ourselves. Think of the specific motions, and directions of those motions. We start at our forehead, and then proceed downwards toward our chest (from God to man). We then continue next with our left shoulder and proceed directly across to our right shoulder (from death to life).

We should never just do this beautiful blessing haphazardly or carelessly…but always make it a special reverential “love tap” to God’s glory.
 
Our three year old twins copy us although they haven’t got the Cross right but on Sunday after Crossing himself my son did the same to his little teddy bear.

😊
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top