I want to read the book mere Christianity, but I havent for a while because CS Lewis is an Anglican. Do you guys find it hard to read his books since he is not Catholic
No, no, and no
I probably owe more to his books than to those of any author I can think of. If any RC writer is remotely comparable to C.S. Lewis, I can only wonder who that writer may be. What always impresses me about C.S. Lewis is just how well-rounded he is, spiritually, theologically, doctrinally, morally.
In some ways he was wiser than some Popes - as when he says that we must not imagine that because we are human, we are holy. This is much better than talk of the sanctity of life: sanctity is a wrong basis for what is meant; in addition it elides the distinction between grace and nature. Life may be
inviolable - but to speak of its sanctity without making the proper distinctions is most dangerous. Human life in the womb is not holy - but may well be inviolable. If it is holy before baptism, why bother with baptism ?
He does not deal with bio-ethics - for two reasons, I think: there was no need (many of the issues so prominent now were at most clouds no bigger than a manās hand even as later as 1963 when he died; and Mere Christianity is 20 years older than that); & he made no claim to be a professional theologian or systematician - his works are occasional pieces, not treatises.
Some of his arguments need to be brought up to date - such as his trilemma about Christ. What limits it is that he was writing when the trilemma in the form he puts it would probably have been convincing than it now is. He could as self-evident then what might not be granted as self-evident now. But that is not a weakness in his thinking - itās result of his working in an intellectual setting that is now almost gone.
It would be absurd to treat him as infallible or final - nor would such daftness do him any honour. That does not for one moment take from his achievement. ISTM there is more Christian wisdom in him than in most theologians. The C of E is absolutely right to give him a place in its Calendar
IMO, the Narnia books are the richest in theological wisdom; each time I read them, I find things in them Iād not noticed.
or does he find a medium?
ā¦puzzledā¦
Thanks God Bless!