CT to sue feds over No Child Left Behind

• Thread starter Thread starter Digitonomy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Digitonomy

Connecticut is set to sue the federal government over Bush’s No Child Left Behind Act. While I certainly support the intent of NCLB, I have to back Connecticut on this one. The federal government should not be involved in local education. That’s a state issue.
The federal law requires Connecticut to spend some $112 million to expand its testing program and to help local districts carry out other federal requirements over the next three years, while Washington has appropriated only about $71 million, leaving the state with an unfinanced burden of $41 million, Connecticut’s commissioner of education said in a report last month.

Legal scholars said that previous lawsuits brought against the federal government over so-called unfunded mandates have had mixed success. But Connecticut’s suit could gain special traction because the No Child Left Behind law includes a passage, first sponsored by Republicans during the Clinton administration, that forbids federal officials from requiring states to spend their own funds to carry out the federal policies outlined in the law.

Connecticut is a crappy yuppy state. I am glad I left that place and never looked back.

Unfunded mandates are a travesty of government. Connecticut has it right, here. (assuming their estimated bill for services is accurate. THAT might be a whole other issue. . .states are notorious for inflating their estimated costs so they can squeze the Feds for more money).

Good for CT! King George II signs an unfunded mandate, so let the Feds be responsible. Perhaps it will actually bring the Republicans back to being the party of “states rights”, rather than the party that has been far more intrusive of late than the Dems.Peace!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back