:cuba: Rubio: Biden's Calls on Cuba, Venezuela (policies) a 'Total Joke'

• Thread starter Thread starter Victoria33
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Victoria33

Rubio: Biden’s Calls on Cuba, Venezuela a ‘Total Joke’​

Sen. Marco Rubio Tuesday called Democrat nominee Joe Biden’s calls for new policies on Venezuela and Cuba a “total joke,” and said the dictators leading both countries are hoping for President Donald Trump to lose in November.

“I think what he is basically saying is we are going to allow [Cuba] to start making money if he gets the presidency, and on Venezuela, he will totally cave and collapse,” the Florida Republican said on Fox News’ “Fox and Friends.” “That’s why both in Caracas and Havana the dictators are hoping that Joe Biden wins and Donald Trump loses. It is their only way forward. That’s what they are hoping happens in this election. I guarantee it.”

During Biden’s town hall in Miami Monday night, he said he’d use sanctions as one of the tools for a comprehensive strategy on Venezuela to push the regime toward a free and fair election. He also called for a new policy on Cuba, claiming that the Trump administration’s policies not working and saying the country is no closer to democracy than it was four years ago.
https://www.newsmax.com/politics/marco-rubio-sanctions-democracy/2020/10/06/id/990552/#

Last edited:
To the average American, why does it matter what America’s stance is towards those two countries?

I can’t really see a Biden government opening up to Venezuela much, but maybe it would mean a continuation of the thaw in relations that started under Obama.

To the average American, why does it matter what America’s stance is towards those two countries?

I can’t really see a Biden government opening up to Venezuela much, but maybe it would mean a continuation of the thaw in relations that started under Obama.
Cubans, both sides of the aisle, Senators Menendez (D) and Rubio (R) saw the Cuban deal as doing nothing but aiding repressive dictators and enriching them.

Why does it matter? Why does it matter enough for you to comment?

Florida is looking strong for the Republicans because of this very poor deal from Obama.

Last edited:
Our barring Cuban sugar imports (and a protective tariff as to other countries) raises the price of sugar for all American consumers and for the food industry.

We’ve been trying for 61 years to overthrow the Cuban leadership through various means. Isn’t it time to do something else?
Florida is looking strong for the Republicans because of this very poor deal from Obama.
Biden leads the polls in Florida.

Last edited:
Cubans, both sides of the aisle, Senators Menendez (D) and Rubio ® saw the Cuban deal as doing nothing but aiding repressive dictators and enriching them.
Why does it matter? Why does it matter enough for you to comment?
I wasn’t making a “Who cares?” comment. It’s just that America is staunch allies with Saudi Arabia, a much more brutal and backwards regime as far as I can tell, a literal hereditary Islamic monarchy that only abolished flogging as a punishment this year. For this reason I find it hard to believe that the American government has any kind of moral objection to dictators. So what does it mean for them to oppose dictatorships like that in Cuba or Venezuela? Do the electorate genuinely care, and do they believe in the crusade against dictatorship?

I am very interested in the decisions that the US government makes in terms of geopolitics and I think it is interesting to see how each government handles things. Venezuela seems very firmly aligned with the PRC and Russia, so I can’t imagine a Biden government opening up to them too much. I think we might actually see more sabre rattling against countries like Venezuela under Biden.
I am suspicious of the idea that young Cuban-Americans would still feel a lot of animosity to the current Cuban government.

Last edited:
Considered pretty much so that we have Honduras refugees because of the meddling of Obama/Clinton. BIden, I don’t know.

And this is the left speaking, not the right.

Why does it matter? These are our neighbors in the Western hemisphere.

Surely this is an argument for leaving Venezuela and Cuba alone, not for more sabre rattling? The Trump administration has attempted a couple of coups against Venezuela already. Do you think that would lead to stability?

For the record I think the Biden administration would probably be worse in regards to foreign intervention, as Obama was before him.

Last edited:
Surely this is an argument for leaving Venezuela and Cuba alone, not for more sabre rattling?
I don’t think we sabre rattle with Venezuela.

50 countries plus recognize Juan Guiado as president, not Madruo.
The Trump administration has attempted a couple of coups against Venezuela already. Do you think that would lead to stability?
Total falsehood.

Venezuela, when countries are sending millions of refugees abroad, it becomes the problem of everyone. Venezuela has lost about 8-10% o their population as refugees. Some place like Colombia and Ecuador and Peru can hardly take easily care of so many people in addition to the hardships, these refugees face.

Senator Menendez is an ace on foreign affairs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back