Custom Penitential Rite

  • Thread starter Thread starter frindro
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

frindro

Guest
I have a question about the Penitential Rite. Is a priest allowed to customize what we ask the Lord to have mercy on us for? One priest I know has come up with some that I are not found in the Missal. They are quite nice, asking the Lord to have mercy on us for our past failings, but is this liturgical abuse?

If so, should I report this to the bishop?
 
I have a question about the Penitential Rite. Is a priest allowed to customize what we ask the Lord to have mercy on us for? One priest I know has come up with some that I are not found in the Missal. They are quite nice, asking the Lord to have mercy on us for our past failings, but is this liturgical abuse?

If so, should I report this to the bishop?
Option 3 of the Penitential Rite has the following rubric: The following or other invocations may be spoken by the priest or another minister, but the priest always gives the final blessing.

So if option 3 is used there might be invocations other than what is in your Missal.
 
My Sunday Missal book doesn’t say that the priest can choose the invocation. I think he uses #3. I don’t really know the difference between #2 and #3, but #3 seems to have many options.

Thank you for your response! I’m very glad that this is not liturgical abuse 🙂
 
My Sunday Missal book doesn’t say that the priest can choose the invocation. I think he uses #3. I don’t really know the difference between #2 and #3, but #3 seems to have many options.
#2 is very different from #3. It’s taken partially from a Psalm. It only has one “Lord, have mercy” and it is in response to our admission of guilt.

Priest: Lord, we have sinned against you: Lord, have mercy.
People: Lord, have mercy.
Priest: Lord, show us your mercy and love.
People: And grant us your salvation.

This is very different from Form C which is:
Invocation
Lord, have mercy.
Invocation
Christ, have mercy.
Invocation
Lord, have mercy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top