Cutting ties with abusive family

  • Thread starter Thread starter AB_Juney
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AB_Juney

Guest
Over the past year since my marriage, I have been slowly cutting ties with more and more extended family members. My family is very caustic, hurtful, and get togethers tend to involve me and them in shouting matches, with blame on both sides. I can’t bare to be around most of them, considering the emotional abuse I went though as a child, and their blind eyes they cast towards it, or direct cooperation in ignoring the physical and emotional needs I had when I was small. I was the family “extra” with no mother, and they always made it clear that their own families came first, and I was an inconvenience.

Most of the time, it’s been one last scathing fight that ends it. I can’t deal with them anymore. Yes, sometimes it was I who said something I sholdn’t have that provoked it, but it’s all been stewing fo years. I’m happier not having them in my life, and I have been to confession on a few counts, for when I was too cruel in my remarks. But, am I required to make apologeese and reparations if a particular argument was spurred by an action of mine? Are my confessions still valid? I’ve aknowledged my faults and blame in confession already, but I somehow can’t see an apology on my part doing anything to mend a relationship I have no desire to ever have again.
 
You are not required to mend the relationships, but you “should” apologize for any wrong-doing that is specifically yours. “Should” meaning, you probably have already done whatever penance was assigned by your Confessor, so it’s probably not required, but it will help you put the past behind you. In other words, the apologies would be more for your benefit thatn theirs, and would not necessarily carry any suggestion that you want to get back together with anyone…jsut that you are owning what part you had in it and moving on.
 
Over the past year since my marriage, I have been slowly cutting ties with more and more extended family members. My family is very caustic, hurtful, and get togethers tend to involve me and them in shouting matches, with blame on both sides. I can’t bare to be around most of them, considering the emotional abuse I went though as a child, and their blind eyes they cast towards it, or direct cooperation in ignoring the physical and emotional needs I had when I was small. I was the family “extra” with no mother, and they always made it clear that their own families came first, and I was an inconvenience.

Most of the time, it’s been one last scathing fight that ends it. I can’t deal with them anymore. Yes, sometimes it was I who said something I sholdn’t have that provoked it, but it’s all been stewing fo years. I’m happier not having them in my life, and I have been to confession on a few counts, for when I was too cruel in my remarks.

But, am I required to make apologeese and reparations if a particular argument was spurred by an action of mine? Are my confessions still valid? I’ve aknowledged my faults and blame in confession already, but I somehow can’t see an apology on my part doing anything to mend a relationship I have no desire to ever have again.
I think you’re taking the right action. Sometimes it’s better to sever your kin, however unfortunate it is, than to repeatedly attempt to repair an inherently toxic relationship. I’m sorry to know that the adults in your childhood bullied you when they should have made an extra effort to build you up. It was wicked, and God will hold them accountable for it.

But now you’re an adult, and by God’s mercy you survived despite it all. Don’t allow their sins to pull you to sin when you’ve triumphed over them, and don’t make your childhood an anchor.

To answer your question, when you know you do something wrong, you have to account for it–not for the sake of some desired outcome, although leaving the door open for future reconciliation (and it happens, believe me) and releasing your own emotional baggage are good reasons. You apologise because it’s the right thing to do.

My advice–write a candid (but civil) letter to each of your relatives explaining your feelings, what he or she did to you, and the status of your relationship with him or her. Somewhere in all of that you can write, “I apologise for the hurtful things I said.” Then move on with your life.
 
I would call a select few members of your family, mother, father, siblings, that you view as the main source of your abuse as a child. I wouldn’t bring up specific grievances or acts of cruelty, but simply tell them continuing the relationship is not good for your spiritual health, you are sorry for any unkind words said to them, ask them for forgiveness and offer your forgiveness to them. If they start an argument, simply say good bye and hang up. Then forgive them. Although this may not be part of your penance it will make it clear to your family that you have cut your ties and why. In addition, God commands us to forgive. This may seem difficult now, but you can’t be free of your family until you forgive them and mean it. God bless and strengthen you through this hard time.
 
Over the past year since my marriage, I have been slowly cutting ties with more and more extended family members. My family is very caustic, hurtful, and get togethers tend to involve me and them in shouting matches, with blame on both sides. I can’t bare to be around most of them, considering the emotional abuse I went though as a child, and their blind eyes they cast towards it, or direct cooperation in ignoring the physical and emotional needs I had when I was small. I was the family “extra” with no mother, and they always made it clear that their own families came first, and I was an inconvenience.

Most of the time, it’s been one last scathing fight that ends it. I can’t deal with them anymore. Yes, sometimes it was I who said something I sholdn’t have that provoked it, but it’s all been stewing fo years. I’m happier not having them in my life, and I have been to confession on a few counts, for when I was too cruel in my remarks. But, am I required to make apologeese and reparations if a particular argument was spurred by an action of mine? Are my confessions still valid? I’ve aknowledged my faults and blame in confession already, but I somehow can’t see an apology on my part doing anything to mend a relationship I have no desire to ever have again.
You confessed it…then you were forgiven.

I’ve learned a lot about forgiveness in the past year and this is how my confessor put it to me:

It’s not a feeling…it’s a decision. You don’t have to like them or feel good about what they did to you…you don’t even have to forget…in some case that is neigh impossible.

You do have to:
  1. Be polite if and when you see them. That means no getting into continued fights…what good will they do anyway. But you don’t have to call them or create opportunities to see them.
  2. What do you say about them? Do you tell everyone around you what they have done to you?
  3. Can you pray for them? Sometimes it is just praying for their reconciliation with God.
 
I’ve aknowledged my faults and blame in confession already, but I somehow can’t see an apology on my part doing anything to mend a relationship I have no desire to ever have again.
A relationship is a two-way street. You cannot mend it if the other party (i.e. your family) won’t make the effort.

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to walk away from these toxic relationships. That is the only thing you can do.
 
Over the past year since my marriage, I have been slowly cutting ties with more and more extended family members. My family is very caustic, hurtful, and get togethers tend to involve me and them in shouting matches, with blame on both sides. I can’t bare to be around most of them, considering the emotional abuse I went though as a child, and their blind eyes they cast towards it, or direct cooperation in ignoring the physical and emotional needs I had when I was small. I was the family “extra” with no mother, and they always made it clear that their own families came first, and I was an inconvenience.

Most of the time, it’s been one last scathing fight that ends it. I can’t deal with them anymore. Yes, sometimes it was I who said something I sholdn’t have that provoked it, but it’s all been stewing fo years. I’m happier not having them in my life, and I have been to confession on a few counts, for when I was too cruel in my remarks. But, am I required to make apologeese and reparations if a particular argument was spurred by an action of mine? Are my confessions still valid? I’ve aknowledged my faults and blame in confession already, but I somehow can’t see an apology on my part doing anything to mend a relationship I have no desire to ever have again.
Now that you are an adult it is time to pick and choose who you want to associate with. If a person is toxic to you then by all means then do not have any relationship with them. It will take many years to get over the abuse so give yourself time to heal. It took me a long time to heal from the abuse I suffered from as a child.
 
Now that you are an adult it is time to pick and choose who you want to associate with. If a person is toxic to you then by all means then do not have any relationship with them. It will take many years to get over the abuse so give yourself time to heal. It took me a long time to heal from the abuse I suffered from as a child.
In some cases, at least mine healing has never come. I was severely abused mentally and physically by my step-dad and Mom. SD broke my left leg with his bare hands when I was only 9, threw me out and sent me to live with my biological dad when I wasn16. In that case step-mom abused me mentally.

I never had to sever realtionship with step-dad, he died of lung cancer when I was 21. I know it is wrong, but if he had not been cremated I would have gladly danced on his grave.

I thought cremation was the perfect end for a man who put ciggarettes above all other things.
 
I grew up being abused as a child. At one point as a young adult, living in my parents home, I did not make eye contact with, or speak a single word to my father for two whole years. At age 25, unemployed, with no money, two months sober, and little in the way of very basic life skills, I confronted my parents about the wrongs they did to me when I was young (and the wrongs my mother was still doing to me). It upset the apple cart as I knew it would. I moved out and moved into a homeless shelter. The day before I did, my father, who I really never had a relationship with my whole life despite both he and my mother always being together (with a 4 month period he moved out at one point) took me for a ride in his car and showed me all the houses he grew up in, told me about his life as a child, and actually ‘introduced’ himself to me as “Bill, I’m your father” at the end of this day.

After moving out and before, I was extremely angry with my mother so cut off all ties with her. My father told me to feel free and call him if I choose to. I occasionally did. It took me a couple of years to develop some sense of self-esteem and to get some grounding. I also was fortunate enough to move into a privately funded recovery home and the man who ran it was like a father to me.

I think it’s healthy to have boundaries in all relationships. It sounds like your family (lke mine) didn’t have and doesn’t know how to have healthy boundaries. So it sounds appropriate for you to stop having contact with them as a way to establish boundaries (your not allowed to contact me and I am not going to contact you). With the separation, and time, and hopeuflly some connection to some type of support system to help you figure out how to have healthy relationships and practice having them without the influence of those who can most easily push your buttons, where your most likely to fall into negative behavior patterns without even realizing it. hopefully you can find some solid footing and begin to define yourself separate from your family of origin.

At some point you may wish to re-establish contact, if so, I suggest you do so hesitantly, and be upfront about the behavior you find acceptable and the behavior you don’t. And explain what you will do if the unhealthy behaviors emerge- and whatever you say you will do if that happens, you MUST do it. So be realistic if you choose to go down that path at some point in the future.

I am a believer in apologizing for whatever wrongs I do, even if the othe person started it or did most of the wrong. It’s something I struggle with in my relationship with my wife but in all other relationships I am slow to do wrong and quick to apologize. With my wife, her view is that everything she does that is wrong is my fault, and therefore I am to blame and she has nothing to apologize about (I’m helping her learn different). So I do expect her to apologize first if she starts an argument. Normally if someone starts and argument with me and I engage them in any way with even a snide comment or slight raised voice. I go to them and apologize for what I did. They can choose to apologize or not, this is not up to me.

I would suggest you consider explaining your choice to cut contact, be clear, and do your apologies before you cut contact.

I also believe in the long run that forgiveness is going to help your heart heal, and not forgiving, holding resentments, is going to hurt you. Something like 50% of all illness is stress related. Your in stress my friend.

I now have a great relationship with my father, he is my primary support person. I have a good relationship with my mother. But for years I was sickened and disgusted by her. I screamed in her face once at the top of my lungs when I was a teenager because of the abuse she did to me.

After you cut ties, I hope you learn and practice healthy relationships as your family impacted you and the way you perceive and relate to others (I assume but is almost always the case with child abuse). If you choose to re-establish contact in the future it can be a trial basis and you may find that you sort of informally have periods of contact and then non contact.

But by separating yourself you will get new perspective. Then if your at a family gathering a few years later and some nonsense breaks out, you’ll have the perspective to recognize it as an onlooker rather than one of the people who is sort of consumed by the tornato, where none are in control.

Of course it will be up to you, but you hear people talk about not talking to a family member for years and years and then the person dies and your filled with regret. Work with God to purify your heart and to forgive those who have done you wrong. It’s difficult, but your doing it for your own emotional and mental health. Resentment is like drinking poison and expecting the person your angry at to drop dead.

Pray for the people your angry with, it’s hard to stay angry at people you pray for with pure intentions. After all, you want to heal yourself I assume and not just ‘avoid this one cluster of jerks’ who happen to be relatives.
God Bless
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top