F
fineca
Guest
Please let me know where I could read St.Cyprian’s letters online in the original (I guess Latin) since I have found two very different translations of one passage, namely:
“With a false bishop appointed for themselves by heretics, they dare even to set
sail and carry letters from schismatics and blasphemers to the chair of Peter and
to the principal Church, in which sacerdotal unity has its source; nor did they take
thought that these are Romans, whose faith was praised by the preaching Apostle,
and among whom it is not possible for perfidy to have entrance.”
from this passage there is this shorter and quite different translation:
“Would heretics dare to come to the very seat of Peter whence apostolic faith is derived and whither no errors can come”
(Epistulae 59 (55), 14, [256 A.D.]).
which is the more faithful translation? where can I read the original?
Thanks!
“With a false bishop appointed for themselves by heretics, they dare even to set
sail and carry letters from schismatics and blasphemers to the chair of Peter and
to the principal Church, in which sacerdotal unity has its source; nor did they take
thought that these are Romans, whose faith was praised by the preaching Apostle,
and among whom it is not possible for perfidy to have entrance.”
from this passage there is this shorter and quite different translation:
“Would heretics dare to come to the very seat of Peter whence apostolic faith is derived and whither no errors can come”
(Epistulae 59 (55), 14, [256 A.D.]).
which is the more faithful translation? where can I read the original?
Thanks!