Daily Mass Attendance

  • Thread starter Thread starter amandamary
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amandamary

Guest
I really like going to daily mass to start my day about 3 to 5 days a week. My question, I guess, is whether you think that daily mass is required to be a faithful Catholic? If I miss, one particular retired woman with come up to me and say, “Oh, I haven’t seen you in a while. Is something wrong? Are you okay?” EVERY single time I miss a mass during the week. This is not an “I’m concerned” way but in a “you should be doing better” way. Maybe I should be doing better. I feel guilty now. I never felt guilty about before; I just liked going whenever I could. Do you think it’s necessary to go each day to mass? Sometimes I go into work early and skip mass so I can be with my husband in the evening or so I can do Eucharistic adoration. Other times, I am up late with my Bible or doing some spiritual reading and do not go. I know the Eucharist is the summit of our experience but sometimes I really want to stay up to finish that chapter or get home early for my husband. Occasionally it’s because I wasted time the night before or wanted to sleep in but that is rare. I am a teacher so I have found an alternate mass for the summer so I don’t have to deal with this in a few months but this is the only mass I can go to until my schedule shifts and I’ll be back to it once school starts again.
 
I really like going to daily mass to start my day about 3 to 5 days a week. My question, I guess, is whether you think that daily mass is required to be a faithful Catholic? If I miss, one particular retired woman with come up to me and say, “Oh, I haven’t seen you in a while. Is something wrong? Are you okay?” EVERY single time I miss a mass during the week. This is not an “I’m concerned” way but in a “you should be doing better” way. Maybe I should be doing better. I feel guilty now. I never felt guilty about before; I just liked going whenever I could. Do you think it’s necessary to go each day to mass? Sometimes I go into work early and skip mass so I can be with my husband in the evening or so I can do Eucharistic adoration. Other times, I am up late with my Bible or doing some spiritual reading and do not go. I know the Eucharist is the summit of our experience but sometimes I really want to stay up to finish that chapter or get home early for my husband. Occasionally it’s because I wasted time the night before or wanted to sleep in but that is rare. I am a teacher so I have found an alternate mass for the summer so I don’t have to deal with this in a few months but this is the only mass I can go to until my schedule shifts and I’ll be back to it once school starts again.
Daily Mass is not required to be a faithful Catholic.
 
For me, it is not “necessary” to attend daily Mass but an attraction instead. Ever since I stopped working, I start to attend daily Mass. For a long period of time, due to lack of Vicar, my own parish only offers two daily Mass per week. I drive high way to attend daily Mass in other parishes. Monday’s Mass is 6:45 am. Though I like to sleep longer, I make sure to get up and go. What else can be better than receiving our Lord? I won’t give up such an union for anything. When I had a full time job, it was hard to attend daily Mass, the schedule never worked out. But since now I am not working, I am not skipping any daily Mass.
 
I was upset when I posted this. I am tired of answering to this particular person. I do not feel I should have to relate each time I am sick or my car isn’t starting or I am away on a conference to this person. I think this is more of a personal problem than a Catholic problem. There are other problems I’ve had with this person who feels she is somehow responsible for me.

I LOVE daily mass and I love receiving our Lord and it’s the social situation that is making me anxious and I am counting the days until I can go to another parish for daily mass (47 days!) even though it is much farther away. Thanks for the responses.
 
That’s just an intrusive person with a misplaced sense of concern for neighbor! Ignore her.

There is no requirement to go to daily Mass, but the benefits of going to Mass at any time are obvious.

I frequently get to weekday Mass a few times a week. Mass follows Eucharistic Adoration, and is after my quitting time from my job. So I get to go to Mass every day if I’m available to do so.

Sunday Mass obligation is something I’ve “got to” do. Weekday Mass is something I “get to” do!
 
I really like going to daily mass to start my day about 3 to 5 days a week. My question, I guess, is whether you think that daily mass is required to be a faithful Catholic? If I miss, one particular retired woman with come up to me and say, “Oh, I haven’t seen you in a while. Is something wrong? Are you okay?” EVERY single time I miss a mass during the week. This is not an “I’m concerned” way but in a “you should be doing better” way. Maybe I should be doing better. I feel guilty now. I never felt guilty about before; I just liked going whenever I could. Do you think it’s necessary to go each day to mass? Sometimes I go into work early and skip mass so I can be with my husband in the evening or so I can do Eucharistic adoration. Other times, I am up late with my Bible or doing some spiritual reading and do not go. I know the Eucharist is the summit of our experience but sometimes I really want to stay up to finish that chapter or get home early for my husband. Occasionally it’s because I wasted time the night before or wanted to sleep in but that is rare. I am a teacher so I have found an alternate mass for the summer so I don’t have to deal with this in a few months but this is the only mass I can go to until my schedule shifts and I’ll be back to it once school starts again.
I attend daily Mass, too, and it’s wonderful. But it is certainly not required in order to be a faithful Catholic. You obviously go to Mass because you want to be there. You love the Lord and make time to be with Him and adore Him. You love your husband and you make time to be with him, too.

You are obviously a very sensitive person (and I mean that in a good way!), but don’t let anyone control you because you feel things so deeply. Stay close to the Lord. Confide in Him about how you’re feeling regarding these things, and ask Him to replace any false guilt you might be feeling with a sense of peace in knowing You are loving and being loved by Him. I will pray for you, too:)
 
I really like going to daily mass to start my day about 3 to 5 days a week. My question, I guess, is whether you think that daily mass is required to be a faithful Catholic? If I miss, one particular retired woman with come up to me and say, “Oh, I haven’t seen you in a while. Is something wrong? Are you okay?” EVERY single time I miss a mass during the week. This is not an “I’m concerned” way but in a “you should be doing better” way. Maybe I should be doing better. I feel guilty now. I never felt guilty about before; I just liked going whenever I could. Do you think it’s necessary to go each day to mass? Sometimes I go into work early and skip mass so I can be with my husband in the evening or so I can do Eucharistic adoration. Other times, I am up late with my Bible or doing some spiritual reading and do not go. I know the Eucharist is the summit of our experience but sometimes I really want to stay up to finish that chapter or get home early for my husband. Occasionally it’s because I wasted time the night before or wanted to sleep in but that is rare. I am a teacher so I have found an alternate mass for the summer so I don’t have to deal with this in a few months but this is the only mass I can go to until my schedule shifts and I’ll be back to it once school starts again.
Sometimes the Mass is not thought of as prayer. But it is the greatest prayer ever offered and we unite ourselves to Jesus in this prayer most perfectly. The same holy person as was present in Judea giving himself to the Father on our behalf.

If you have a choice between this prayer and any other prayer, this is the choice.
And you made the right one, and it is such a previlege to be invited to his holy banquet.
Keep praying the greatest prayer.

As far as the woman’s comment, I can’t put words in your mouth, but I would just say,
“Thank you for asking, and you have a wonderful day.”

Just a thought.
 
Perhaps this inquiring person just has a dry sense of humor. When I miss a couple days, some of the old men I sit near joke with me, saying they were worried I went Protestant!

It could be a truthful inquiry too. Recently I missed a week due to illness and my friends there were genuinely worried and happy to see me when I returned.

And if this person doesn’t have noble motives, all you can do is pray for her and smile, knowing all along that you are following God’s will for your state in life. Never feel guilty for wanting to do pious reading or spend time with your spouse! God bless you!
 
Personally, I would love to go to daily Mass but that means I’d have to go to another town every day and I am pretty sure I would not have enough gas to go to Mass every day. I want to go to daily Mass with all my heart but unless I move to another town that has daily Mass, I won’t be able to go to daily Mass.
 
I really like going to daily mass to start my day about 3 to 5 days a week. My question, I guess, is whether you think that daily mass is required to be a faithful Catholic? If I miss, one particular retired woman with come up to me and say, “Oh, I haven’t seen you in a while. Is something wrong? Are you okay?” EVERY single time I miss a mass during the week. This is not an “I’m concerned” way but in a “you should be doing better” way. Maybe I should be doing better. I feel guilty now. I never felt guilty about before; I just liked going whenever I could. Do you think it’s necessary to go each day to mass? Sometimes I go into work early and skip mass so I can be with my husband in the evening or so I can do Eucharistic adoration. Other times, I am up late with my Bible or doing some spiritual reading and do not go. I know the Eucharist is the summit of our experience but sometimes I really want to stay up to finish that chapter or get home early for my husband. Occasionally it’s because I wasted time the night before or wanted to sleep in but that is rare. I am a teacher so I have found an alternate mass for the summer so I don’t have to deal with this in a few months but this is the only mass I can go to until my schedule shifts and I’ll be back to it once school starts again.
If you can’t attend daily Mass. Go to the EWTN youtube channel and watch the Homily. I absolutely love doing that ! I am pretty consistent with this. I am a college student and I usually put aside time to watch it at school.
 
Daily Mass is a wonderful habit. I would like to be able to attend every day, but for most working folks, and those with heavy travel schedules it can be very difficult. But EWTN is great. When I am in a hotel on the road, it is really nice to observe Mass televised from the EWTN chapel by the Franciscan Friars. It is truly beneficial for those of us who are alone in distant locations. I never feel ‘alone’ when I have EWTN.

Also, via satellite radio, you can listen to EWTN. Many of us frequently listen to the Mass on radio when traveling down the highway.

God is everywhere and He hears our prayers.
 
She’s older; she may just genuinely be lonely and concerned. Who knows? Give her the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes I say socially awkward things when I’m in a chatty mood or just missing my family (who are in another state).
 
I was upset when I posted this. I am tired of answering to this particular person. I do not feel I should have to relate each time I am sick or my car isn’t starting or I am away on a conference to this person. I think this is more of a personal problem than a Catholic problem. There are other problems I’ve had with this person who feels she is somehow responsible for me.
Just come up with a polite but generic answer.

“I’m well. Thanks for worrying about me!” and continue into your pew. If she persists, smile and tell her you need to prepare your heart for Mass. Kneel and pray. (for her intentions, too :))
 
If I miss, one particular retired woman with come up to me and say, “Oh, I haven’t seen you in a while. Is something wrong? Are you okay?” EVERY single time I miss a mass during the week.
What I have found with daily Mass attendance is that typically it is the same individuals that attend nearly every day, a large portion of which are retirement age. As I am still a middle-aged adult with family and job responsibilities, I find daily Mass wonderful but not always easy to accomplish.

I made a point last year of attending a Tridentine Mass every morning, and I learned an enormous amount of information about my faith just from daily attendance. It was wonderful.

On the negative side, I have heard the same kind of comments you mention from others and they make me cringe. Don’t let it bother you.

As a result, I’ve adopted other habits, such as private prayer, saying the Rosary, reading the Bible, etc. that I can do on my own time. Until the day when I live close to a church that has daily Mass and my schedule can accommodate, I will just have to do my best. If you can commit to daily Mass attendance, it’s definitely worthwhile, but it does take commitment.
 
You don’t have to go to daily mass to be a good Catholic. The woman is probably just used to seeing you there and so naturally wonders what happened if you don’t show up. It’s one way that older folks kind of look out for each other - with the older folks there could very well be something wrong if someone doesn’t show up. I wouldn’t take it personally.
 
The only days that you are “required” to attend Mass are Sundays and HDOs. Those are non-negotiable, except in unusual circumstances such as illness or bad weather, and you’d need to receive a dispensation from your priest for it.

First of all, this means that not attending weekday Mass is NOT a sin, so no, it’s not required to be a “good” Catholic. That being said, the Mass is the chief liturgy of the church, and is considered the pinnacle of human life, so a “great” Catholic would attend weekday Mass when possible. However - don’t beat yourself up over it. We all have days when we just want nothing more than to stay home and spend a few hours by the fireplace, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Well it isn’t recommended to skip weekday Mass if you’ve got the time, you need to remember that it’s not a sin; so it’s not something that you should really stress over.
 
I was upset when I posted this. I am tired of answering to this particular person. I do not feel I should have to relate each time I am sick or my car isn’t starting or I am away on a conference to this person. I think this is more of a personal problem than a Catholic problem. There are other problems I’ve had with this person who feels she is somehow responsible for me.
Be direct. Say, “Sometimes I choose not to come to daily Mass. The reasons are not your concern.”

I love daily Mass, too, but just like you, I also have days when something else is more pressing. We are required to attend Sunday Mass - daily Mass is a bonus. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top