Daily Prayer Book

  • Thread starter Thread starter stavros388
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stavros388

Guest
Hello,

I still use an Eastern Orthodox prayer book for my morning and evening prayers (since I converted from Orthodoxy), but I would be interested in obtaining a book with Catholic (Latin Rite) daily prayers, the Hours, perhaps the Mysteries of the Rosary, and so forth.

Can anyone recommend a good one to me, please?

Thanks in advance!
 
The Liturgy of the Hours. It’s a four-volume set to cover the different seasons of the Church year. We just started the Lent/Easter volume, so you could purchase that one for use for the next 100 days or so 🙂

You can also find the daily prayers and readings on the Divine Office website.

God bless your Lent!

Gertie
 
The Liturgy of the Hours. It’s a four-volume set to cover the different seasons of the Church year. We just started the Lent/Easter volume, so you could purchase that one for use for the next 100 days or so 🙂

You can also find the daily prayers and readings on the Divine Office website.

God bless your Lent!

Gertie
Thank you, Gertie, and God bless you, too!

I don’t think I can afford this at the moment, but thank you for the recommendation. I’ll look into getting this at a later date.

Is there a smaller, single volume Catholic prayer book for daily use that is regularly used by lay Catholics? Thanks.
 
Thank you, Gertie, and God bless you, too!

I don’t think I can afford this at the moment, but thank you for the recommendation. I’ll look into getting this at a later date.

Is there a smaller, single volume Catholic prayer book for daily use that is regularly used by lay Catholics? Thanks.
Yes, it is called “Christian Prayer” and it is a condensed form of the four volumes book which was recommended. My adult catechism teacher just gave me a copy, and it is excellent. The website given is a good free resource as well.
 
The LIturgy of the Hours is the best suggestion (either book form or online but I prefer book).

You’re in Canada as I am so you use the same Liturgy of the Hours as folks in the US (although I use French…).

There are options for you though, regarding cost, and depending on how much you want to get into it.
  1. If you want the whole thing, it isn’t necessary to buy all 4 volumes at once, buy a volume just before the season starts, then save up to buy the next volume before the start of the next season or part of season;
  2. Buy Christian Prayer, which doesn’t have the Office of Readings and has simplified mid-day prayer; it’s only 1 volume so about 1/4 of the price of the full 4-volume set;
  3. Buy Shorter Christian Prayer, which I believe is simplified Morning, Evening and Night Prayer (Lauds, Vespers and Compline; somebody correct me if I’m wrong).
  4. Try to find a used set of the LOTH.
One thing about each of those options, they’re all approved by the Church and licit to use to be part of the liturgical prayer of the Church.
 
Thank you for the great suggestions and information. I have gone ahead and ordered ‘Christian Prayer’ through the Divine Office website, and I really like the idea of eventually getting a pocket prayer book and looking out for a used copy of the four volume set. God bless.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top