Dancing as scandal?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JellyBeanMuffin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JellyBeanMuffin

Guest
I’ve been dancing since I was in elementary school. I take ballet, tap, and jazz and today is my recital.
However, I was wondering if dancing can cause scandal and what exactly makes it scandalous. I’ve always been concerned about revealing costumes with cutouts or bra-like costumes (thank God I have never been told to wear one. I would have quit the class if I had) but never payed any mind to tight ones because that’s what most dancers wear in one way or another. The dance moves haven’t ever been very seductive and normally, if I feel a bit uncomfortable, I’ve not done them with much gusto. This next year I’m switching dance studios to one that focuses on age appropriate music and costumes and dancing which I’m happy about but I’m wondering what if my dancing now or in the past makes someone have lustful thoughts. Is that a scandal on my part? I don’t think the dances should be inspiring those thoughts but maybe some people have easily distracted minds?
Does scandal need to have intention to scandalize?
I should add that my family is pretty conservative so I would think my parents would take me out of the recital if they thought it was wrong.
 
Last edited:
You wearing something form fitting to dance isn’t scandalous or sinful, because the intention of the clothing is to allow you to move freely, not to be suggestive. It’s no different than if you were on the swim team and wore a bathing suit to compete
 
I do - think dancing is kind of sexy.
Dancing with the Stars - tv show - I consider oozing with lust. Too Las Vegas.

And you do have to consider John the Baptist - his head severed - due to a dancing girl.

Even David’s wife - seeing him dance before the Ark of the Conevant -
She thought he was making an a** of himself, before the soldiers.

My niece sometimes dances before me, she’s 12…
It’s fun to watch - and compliment - to modern songs on the radio…
It’s a nice form of expression -
But she even asked me - does God consider dancing a sin ?

I told her no.
There’s something happy about it. A certian freedom.
 
Last edited:
dancing as scandal? 😦

scruples seems to be taking over this board

seek help
 
I agree this board can be super scrupulous, but to be fair, if the dance class veers into super suggestive dancing (“Twerking 101”) I can see her being legit concerned.
 
i think you mean “twerking”

but i get your point

some posters on this “board” seem to be OCD

disclaimer: i am not a mental health professional
 
Emphatically. I have only once been present at Mass when they had a dancer – it was just one dancer, female, but that was one too many for my taste.
 
ok, i’ll go ahead and agree with you , i’ll research this subject further and report back to CAF command HQ
 
Dancing is scandal? Yikes!

Twerking and strip joints, sure, but in general, no. I enjoy social partner dancing a lot, nothing scandalous about what happens on the floor. Is it possible to hold a partner too closely? Sure, but it’s not hard to have boundaries and enforce them. This is one of the things a good social dance teacher will impart to his or her students.

A quick plug: I endorse social partner dancing and social partner dance lessons as a good, low pressure environment for socializing (and learning to socialize) with the opposite sex.
 
I live in Las Vegas and it isn’t that bad, but I don’t go to the Strip that much.
 
i think you mean “twerking”

but i get your point

some posters on this “board” seem to be OCD

disclaimer: i am not a mental health professional
This forum attracts a lot of people who fall in one or more of the below categories:
  • they have scruples
  • they are quite young and do not have a reliable older Catholic person, like a mom, dad, aunt etc. to let them know what is and isn’t a sin or to set an example
  • they didn’t get good religious training growing up, so their conscience isn’t well formed to know when something is or is not a sin
  • they are new to Catholicism, so they are still learning where/ how the Church sets boundaries
  • they are from some other religious background that might have considered things like dancing to be a sin
etc
 
Last edited:
My parents were “socialized” as teens. That led to their marriage. A very good time for all in class
 
OK thank you for that

i am trying to learn patience & charity…
posts like this help me

so i can perhaps help others…
 
I’m glad “ Las Vegas “ isn’t that bad.
I thought it was a flashy type place with much dancing / drinking / gambling. Lol.
 
While the Mass does commemorate our Lord’s passion it also commemorates his Resurection.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top