A
ave_maria_92
Guest
I was raised Catholic and believed until I was about 8. Unfortunately I strayed away from the faith until recently (I’m now 17). I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to renew my faith in God and my love for the Catholic church. However, I have a long-distance boyfriend of a year and a half (long distance since the beginning of the school year) who is Christian but not Catholic. I’m truly in love with him, and we agree about nearly everything in our future, including getting married and having children in a few years (we both want to finish college first). But I’m now struggling with the fact that he’s never been to a Catholic church in his life.
He, like me, has recently been figuring out his spirituality. He’s sure he wants to attend a Christian church, but having been raised Protestant is a little uncomfortable with Catholicism. I want to help him see that the Catholic church is the one true church, but I also don’t want to force him into “accepting” God when it’s really just motivated by a desire to make me feel better. I want him to have his own relationship with God and with the Catholic church, so that we can really raise children in the faith together one day.
So I guess I have a few questions. Am I right to have hope that this will work out? He says that he’s not opposed to the idea of becoming Catholic, just unsure… And is there any way that I can nudge him towards accepting Catholicism from a thousand miles away? Next time he comes home I plan to take him to church with me, but I’m not sure one visit to church every few months will do much. And lastly, do I who am only newly a believer myself have any credibility in helping him believe as well?
He, like me, has recently been figuring out his spirituality. He’s sure he wants to attend a Christian church, but having been raised Protestant is a little uncomfortable with Catholicism. I want to help him see that the Catholic church is the one true church, but I also don’t want to force him into “accepting” God when it’s really just motivated by a desire to make me feel better. I want him to have his own relationship with God and with the Catholic church, so that we can really raise children in the faith together one day.
So I guess I have a few questions. Am I right to have hope that this will work out? He says that he’s not opposed to the idea of becoming Catholic, just unsure… And is there any way that I can nudge him towards accepting Catholicism from a thousand miles away? Next time he comes home I plan to take him to church with me, but I’m not sure one visit to church every few months will do much. And lastly, do I who am only newly a believer myself have any credibility in helping him believe as well?
