W
William777
Guest
Hello Everyone:
I have a question that has been bugging me for awhile, and I thought it would be a good topic for this forum.
I have wanted to be a Priest or Professed Clergy, and I have devoted a lot of my life toward that end. However, I’ve become more and more resolved that it’s probably not going to happen (due to a disability and age), which leaves me to thinking of the other types of Catholic vocations - marriage or simply living alone in the world. During the period of discernment - years worth of discernment - I really haven’t dated at all.
Tomorrow is my birthday, and I will be 44. At this age, I’m very happy just to go to church and pray, but, when I think about dating, the idea seems pretty silly anymore. The only reason I would date would be to get married, and, then, the only reason I would marry would be to have children. This is where the problem arises. It would seem the best women to have children would be between 25 and 35 - both of which are now significantly younger than me. Given my reasons for dating - it would seem silly to consider a marital vocation (for the most part).
What I wonder about is how much of an age difference is too much of an age difference? In some Bible studies it has come up that Joseph was probably much older than Mary; as was Abraham older than Sarah - although Sarah was way past her prime when she bore children. Zachariah and Elizabeth were most likely in similar situations. So such age differences would seem common - back then…
Today, I realize the church has had difficulties with age differences in it’s recent history with pedophiles, but I am by no means suggesting anything of the sort. As a matter of fact, the age differences have made it very difficult even to consider a woman well within a legal age limit (say 25 or older). However, I think it is also important to note, a lot of the pedophilic Priests weren’t just pedophiles, but they were also committing homosexual violations. I am neither gay nor bi-, so again I’m not proposing anything even remotely similar to those cases.
All I am trying to determine is what an appropriate age difference would be. I do know there are ladies out there who like older men. And, if two people really love and care about one another, then it probably wouldnt matter what others thought. But still…?
Any help here please?
I have a question that has been bugging me for awhile, and I thought it would be a good topic for this forum.
I have wanted to be a Priest or Professed Clergy, and I have devoted a lot of my life toward that end. However, I’ve become more and more resolved that it’s probably not going to happen (due to a disability and age), which leaves me to thinking of the other types of Catholic vocations - marriage or simply living alone in the world. During the period of discernment - years worth of discernment - I really haven’t dated at all.
Tomorrow is my birthday, and I will be 44. At this age, I’m very happy just to go to church and pray, but, when I think about dating, the idea seems pretty silly anymore. The only reason I would date would be to get married, and, then, the only reason I would marry would be to have children. This is where the problem arises. It would seem the best women to have children would be between 25 and 35 - both of which are now significantly younger than me. Given my reasons for dating - it would seem silly to consider a marital vocation (for the most part).
What I wonder about is how much of an age difference is too much of an age difference? In some Bible studies it has come up that Joseph was probably much older than Mary; as was Abraham older than Sarah - although Sarah was way past her prime when she bore children. Zachariah and Elizabeth were most likely in similar situations. So such age differences would seem common - back then…
Today, I realize the church has had difficulties with age differences in it’s recent history with pedophiles, but I am by no means suggesting anything of the sort. As a matter of fact, the age differences have made it very difficult even to consider a woman well within a legal age limit (say 25 or older). However, I think it is also important to note, a lot of the pedophilic Priests weren’t just pedophiles, but they were also committing homosexual violations. I am neither gay nor bi-, so again I’m not proposing anything even remotely similar to those cases.
All I am trying to determine is what an appropriate age difference would be. I do know there are ladies out there who like older men. And, if two people really love and care about one another, then it probably wouldnt matter what others thought. But still…?
Any help here please?