Some Catholic singles are actively dating. Others of us are, well, just… single.
This is a free country. We can do what we like best.
My question is for those singles who do engage, at least a little, in the dating process.
Let’s say I remain open and I’ve been heard to flirt since the break-up in Feb 2007.
If you date, then what is your objective? That is, are you dating for recreation, for companionship, for the purpose of establishing a romantic relationship, or even dating for marriage?
It depends how we define dating. Or, rather what the thing is which we call dating (because “define it!” is often a silly counterproductive semantic game, whereas it does actually matter what we do, not just what we call it–and this sentence is a plenty good example of why I’m still single). So, if it is just meeting up, walking, talking, possibly even flirting, then it’s a fine activity as long the person at least isn’t ruled out as a potential candidate.
Now for heavier flirting, kissing and the like, I wouldn’t see that as a recreational activity. Those things are not party games.
What is your primary reason for dating?
Not just mine but everyone’s purpose for dating should be discerning. Our sexuality–in the broad sense, so also including the spiritual and emotional aspects–is ordered towards marriage. So while roaming around the city and sipping coffee, laughing at jokes and whatnot is fine, recreational kissing is not. Dating anyone one already knows one wouldn’t agree to marrying is wrong.
And are you having any success in achieving your goal?
Generally yes. I’m not unhappily married, I don’t have a heartbroken ex-girlfriend, I generally succeed at avoiding pointless endeavours.
Are you finding dating to be a rewarding experience, in personal, spiritual, and romantic dimensions?
Dating is not a spiritual retreat and the primary purpose of a discernment process isn’t rewardingness, so that’s about it for spiritually rewarding. The romantic dimension is not meant to bring me rewarding experience but to unite me to an eventual wife with a feeling (among other things), and in a personal sense, again, it’s not meant for providing me with rewards, but I derive a measure of satisfaction from sticking by my principles.
This isn’t to say I haven’t experienced pleasurable moments or something that could serve as a nice memory, but my view is that pleasurable moments aren’t the goal of it and nice memories of past romantic experiences aren’t all that helpful in fulfilling one’s vocation, whichever it is. Matter of fact, exes and could have beens marry other people, so being married to others, they are off-limits, so thinking about them in terms of nice memories is questionable on this ground, not to mention pointless because, well, it won’t lead to anything constructive. This isn’t to say I won’t at times smile at a pleasant memory of a nice event from the past that involved a girl in a romantic setting, but to collect or record such memories would serve no good purpose (and a couple of bad ones), while, as I said, experiences aren’t the goal of the process. As a result, they shouldn’t preoccupy my mind.