E
Epistemes
Guest
Hi,
My girlfriend has a learning disability, and even though she hasn’t told me what type or much about it she has told me, at least, that she has lots of trouble with math. I’ve also observed that she is reading at about a 9th or 10th grade level, and she has some difficulty writing/typing. She is, however, taking piano lessons but is still at a beginner level (yet still knows more than me!)
I’m pretty much the complete opposite of her intellectually, but I have great empathy for her LD as I understand the limitations of acquiring knowledge. I care for this girl very much and would like to understand as much as I can about her LD so that I can understand her a little better and how to best relate to her.
We haven’t spoken extensively about her LD, and even though we have a very honest, upfront relationship I’m hesitant to bring it up or ask. I don’t know how sensitive she is to it - but I suspect I’m more sensitive about it than she.
Any advice is appreciated as this is pretty unfamiliar territory for me. I don’t know hardly anything about LDs. Are there different types? Will one literature suffice for all types? What type of literature is available for understanding adults with LDs? How should I approach a conversation with her about it?
And please forgive my ignorance.
My girlfriend has a learning disability, and even though she hasn’t told me what type or much about it she has told me, at least, that she has lots of trouble with math. I’ve also observed that she is reading at about a 9th or 10th grade level, and she has some difficulty writing/typing. She is, however, taking piano lessons but is still at a beginner level (yet still knows more than me!)
I’m pretty much the complete opposite of her intellectually, but I have great empathy for her LD as I understand the limitations of acquiring knowledge. I care for this girl very much and would like to understand as much as I can about her LD so that I can understand her a little better and how to best relate to her.
We haven’t spoken extensively about her LD, and even though we have a very honest, upfront relationship I’m hesitant to bring it up or ask. I don’t know how sensitive she is to it - but I suspect I’m more sensitive about it than she.
Any advice is appreciated as this is pretty unfamiliar territory for me. I don’t know hardly anything about LDs. Are there different types? Will one literature suffice for all types? What type of literature is available for understanding adults with LDs? How should I approach a conversation with her about it?
And please forgive my ignorance.