Kendra, I haven’t posted but have watched your saga unfold. I am truly sorry for what you are going through! I also really appreciate your humor and attitude on things you post; you sound like a wonderful person in ‘real life’.
I have been where you are, and am just now, 9 month after he filed for divorce, starting to think that I might be able to see through the fog that has been my life for the past several years. Here’s what I want to tell you; when I was where you are, I missed my husband physically. Not so much sexually (lots of complicated feelings there), and for sure I was spitting-fire pissed off, but I did feel the loss of feeling like I was desired and wanted as a human being, and I physically ached to be touched. Rejection is super painful on many levels. That caused me to think of other men and dating and when and what I needed to do to have that feeling again. Which is the last thing I needed to think about! You are also probably going to go through the grieving steps for your marriage, like you would go throughout with the death of a loved one. Maybe it’s different for you, but that was my experience.
I am right there with you, still, about having your heart ripped out. If I am involved with someone in the future, he’s going to have to seriously be some sort of saint.
Tantum ergo is very wise! Wait, wait, and wait some more. Now, 12 months later, I am beginning to steer my own ship. I am learning who I am, what I like and don’t like, and how to navigate on my own. It is a very important step! When and if I am called to date again, I will be able to discern whether the man is a match for me with greater clarity than I could have 9 months ago, and I am still no where near ready for that now.
I’ll tell you another thing; kinda by chance I reconnected with a friend who knew me back when I was getting married, and she very clearly remembered some details that I had forgotten that will be instrumental in the annulment process. I know that God put her back into my life to put my mind at ease about this. Other things have fallen into place for me as well. Other things are still flying around my head, but I trust that God will set those things to right was well. I agree that you should ask questions and be on the look out for people that could be good witnesses at the time of your marriage; things will fall into place!
One other thing; lean on your support system. I sure hope that you have one, and that you have women of faith to help you through this time. I can’t tell you how much that support system has come into play for me, and helped me to keep my focus on God through all of this.
About when to file… I’d say wait until your divorce is final, and see how you feel then. I don’t know what I will do either. Frankly, I’m leaning towards filing when I can and getting it done. I don’t want to lose any good witnesses, and I think I will have a sense of peace about it after I’ve filed and gotten a ruling. I’d rather know one way or the other, than letting it hang there unknown.
Oh, and I’m a planner too; I also seriously plan my menu for the week and shop for it and feel good about it!
Peace to you!