De Vince Code book comment

• Thread starter Thread starter BakerBob
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BakerBob

Earlier this week I read a well written expose on the book, “The De Vince Code.” I believe it was by Jim Akin. I’m not sure what thread it was on. Can someone help me locate it?

Does the Church have a definitive doctrine that says Jesus was not married?

There has never been a need for one, that is so far out there herisy wise its absurd. The church only comes out and defines traditions with a captial T, when there is a need to. It would be like today if the chruch came out with a statement saying Hey by the way Jesus Christ was really God, just thought you should know. So no there hasn’t been but perhaps we will need one now.

Tyler Smedley:
There has never been a need for one, that is so far out there herisy wise its absurd. The church only comes out and defines traditions with a captial T, when there is a need to. It would be like today if the chruch came out with a statement saying Hey by the way Jesus Christ was really God, just thought you should know. So no there hasn’t been but perhaps we will need one now.
OK. Has any high official of the Church said Jesus was never married? This would be a statement by a pope or cardinal that didn’t reach the level of official doctrine.

40.png
Dave:
Not from the forums, but this is a pretty extensive article on the subject:

crisismagazine.com/specialreport.htm
Thank you, Dave. This is not the one I had read, but it will fill help fill the need. Sorry for the delay inreply, but duties call.
BakerBob

You know whats funny about this book? One of the first few pages has a heading that reads “Fact”. Followed by 3 or 4 sentences about the Catholic Church and Opus Dei. It struck me that the Author implies that this is the only facts in his book 😛

There is a book titled “Decoding Da Vinci” by Amy Welborn that I bought at a local bookstore and it really debunked a lot of what was in the “The DaVince Code” and she gives reference to all the books she uses for her debunking. I highly recommend it if you want some better/true information about what was written in the book.

My advice is to not read the this anti-Catholic book filled with lies and half-truths. The author is a devout anti Catholic and all his books I know of are anti-Catholic and not truthful.

Why let an anti-Catholic make money off us? Read a good book like “the Facts about Luther” or “Hitler, The War and The Pope”.

Malachi4U

I don’t think I agree completely with Malachi4U about not reading DaVinci. In order to defeat your enemy, you need to know your enemy. Of course, if you are going to read the book, a good way to do it would be to read it along with others of devout faith that don’t agree with the book. Just a thought

I spend about 15 hours per week in the car commuting to work, and books on tape keep me company. This one came into the library, so, I ‘read’ it. The book plots are so thin, dialogue is silly, I’ve read better novels aimed at middle school kids. It’s on about the literacy level of those paperback romance/suspense novels -

Oh yeah, and what he tries to present as “facts” - laughable.

40.png
Ken:
OK. Has any high official of the Church said Jesus was never married? This would be a statement by a pope or cardinal that didn’t reach the level of official doctrine.
This is the kind of controversy that could some day call for an official statement by the Magisterium. Hopefully we don’t get to that point, but sometimes these heresies develop over time. The Da Vinci Code helped water this seed.

40.png
BryanW:
You know whats funny about this book? One of the first few pages has a heading that reads “Fact”. Followed by 3 or 4 sentences about the Catholic Church and Opus Dei. It struck me that the Author implies that this is the only facts in his book 😛
Bryan,
That is one of the main faults with this book…the author falsely asserts these things to be FACT… Annunciata:(

40.png
Stylteralmaldo:
This is the kind of controversy that could some day call for an official statement by the Magisterium. Hopefully we don’t get to that point, but sometimes these heresies develop over time. The Da Vinci Code helped water this seed.
To fight heresies dogmas were made. The Nicene creed was expanded to fight heresy. So it is possible a dogmatic pronouncement could be made that Jesus remained ever virgin like His mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back