E
exiled
Guest
Are the Dead Sea Scrolls the original new testament letters? If not, what are they and why are they significant?
How odd– in the DSS there is no mention of John the Baptist, Jesus of Nazareth, his apostles or disciples, or anything Christian;
From Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_sea_scrolls– in the DSS there is no mention of John the Baptist, Jesus of Nazareth, his apostles or disciples, or anything Christian
That sounds very absurd because the dead sea scrolls were written several hundred years before Christ and they’ve been published in their entirey. If you are a researcher I know you can get copies of the originals and if you travel to where they are kept you can examine the originals.One of my teachers claims that the Church initialy tried to surpress the DSS. Would anyone know why, or if this is even true?
How odd![]()
From Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_sea_scrollsOne of my teachers claims that the Church initialy tried to surpress the DSS. Would anyone know why, or if this is even true?
How odd![]()
From Wikipedia: (I guess I rely on it too much.That sounds very absurd because the dead sea scrolls were written several hundred years before Christ and they’ve been published in their entirey. If you are a researcher I know you can get copies of the originals and if you travel to where they are kept you can examine the originals.
If he comes up with garbage like this I’d ask him to show his source.
I guess I rely on memory too much.From Wikipedia: (I guess I rely on it too much.)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_sea_scrolls
Date and contents
According to carbon dating, textual analysis, and handwriting analysis the documents were written at various times between the middle of the 2nd century BC and the 1st century AD. (Some scrolls do cover the life time of JC.)
Vatican conspiracy theory
Allegations that the Vatican suppressed the publication of the scrolls were published in the 1990s. Notably, Michael Baigent’s and Richard Leigh’s book …** that the life of Jesus was deliberately mythicized by Paul, possibly a Roman agent who faked his “conversion” from Saul in order to undermine the influence of anti-Roman messianic cults in the region.**
However, the complete publication and dissemination of translations and photographic records of the works in the late 1990s and early 2000s effectively undermined these ideas, since the ‘new’ Scroll material did not include anything which connected the Scrolls to early Christianity and certainly did not contain anything about the Catholic Church or anything the church would want to ‘suppress’. As a result,** most scholars discredit this conspiracy theory.**