Dealing with Anxiety

  • Thread starter Thread starter Michael_Mayo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
+JMJ+

First off, anxiety is a fear of future misfortunes, as stated by St. Thomas Aquinas (source). And all fear, also according to St. Thomas, has three requirements (source):
That is true for most of us but an anxiety disorder can be quite different, unrelated to any specific fears. It is just an excessive and persistent sense of apprehension, with physical symptoms such as sweating, palpitations, and feelings of stress. with no specific cause.
 
+JMJ+
That is true for most of us but an anxiety disorder can be quite different, unrelated to any specific fears. It is just an excessive and persistent sense of apprehension, with physical symptoms such as sweating, palpitations, and feelings of stress. with no specific cause.
The advice that I have given here are for spiritual advice (hence the Spirituality forums) and not medical advice beyond the “seek a health professional” line for serious illness, as per the rules of these forums.
 
That is true for most of us but an anxiety disorder can be quite different, unrelated to any specific fears. It is just an excessive and persistent sense of apprehension, with physical symptoms such as sweating, palpitations, and feelings of stress. with no specific cause.
I think there are different antecedents to anxiety, such as cognition and chemical imbalance. My anxiety seems to be physical, and cognitive behavior modification did little to help.
 
Glad that works for you.

But we aren’t supposed to give medical advice on here and anxiety disorders are real diagnoses. It would be best for people to speak with their psychologist/psychiatrist about what works for them.
I tend to agree with KendraDZ on this.

I have PTSD/generalized anxiety disorder. You don’t just surrender that - believe me, I’ve tried.

A lot of times anxiety comes and goes and is a normal part of life.

However, for people like me, we get anxious about things because we’ve been programmed to react a certain way in certain situations - and the situations haven’t existed in a long time, but we are still in “fight or flight” mode and that feeling comes in what most people would consider “normal situations”. Can you tell I’m starting to stress out and get anxious just thinking about how to describe it? We over-react a lot of the time because our body takes the old programming and runs with it, even though rationally, we can see that the situation is less stressful and doesn’t demand a “fight or flight” response.

There’s a lot more going on than just being a once in a while worrier.

Talking to Jesus helps, but it’s not the “end all be all” for most people in situations like mine.

God bless you, if Jesus ends up healing your anxiety issues that way - I’m not going to begrudge a miracle, but that doesn’t happen for most people. You actually have to do some work to get to a “better place” and feel better.
Perhaps different things are being talked about. The OP’s advice probably won’t work for someone who had an anxiety disorder but probably would for someone who is feeling anxious or worried about some matter.

If I have an anxiety attack my thought process changes; my thoughts race and I experience physical symptoms that are worrisome too. Just trying to think “breathe” is difficult; if I happen to find the word “breathe” or “Jesus” and try to hold on to it it’s like that word gets trampled in the stampede going on in my head. Medication does help me and even though I’ve gone through some really stressful circumstances and had plenty of triggers, I haven’t had a severe attack for several months, instead I responded to these stressors like a most people and experienced normal emotions, even fear, instead of being paralyzed or stuck. FWIW, my anxiety is on the mild side and I lucked out that meds do help me and don’t turn me into a zombie.

Giving over worries and fears about specific matters to God is a good thing, and for those that live with an anxiety disorder we have those, too, so we can give those things to God and we can always offer up our sufferings when anxiety isn’t taking over.
 
+JMJ+

My own way of overcoming anxiety is John 16:33.

I have told you these things that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.

First off, anxiety is a fear of future misfortunes, as stated by St. Thomas Aquinas (source). And all fear, also according to St. Thomas, has three requirements (source):
  • There is an “imagination of a future evil which is either corruptive or painful” that can either be barely resisted, or insurmountable.
  • This evil is in the near future, and the nearer the future, the worse the fear.
  • There is a hope for escape from this evil.
This last requirement is why there is a big change in the attitude of someone who is walking to his execution: whereas before he was frightened of dying, he would be then seen calmly walking to his death, precisely because he has no more chance of escape.

And this is one way how John 16:33 saves me from anxiety: God Himself saying there is no escape from the troubles of this world. “In this world you will have trouble.” I am frankly amazed how just this one sentence from Scripture wipes away fear.

But that is not all. John 16:33 also says: “…that in Me you may have peace…I have overcome the world.” Thus, God also says that the evils that I face, which by myself I can barely or not even able to overcome, He will overcome for me, if I remain in Him.

And therefore, by keeping John 16:33 in my heart, anxiety melts away, and thus I cannot help but “be of good cheer”!
This was very good … thank you nuntym!

From my own perspective, I’ve noticed many posters have commented on the the importance of spiritual surrender. And in case anyone might be wondering just “how” one goes about surrender, I offer this little poem from St. John of the Cross:
The Sum of Perfection:
Forgetfulness of created things (insert your worry here)
remembrance of the Creator,
attention turned toward inward things,
and loving the Beloved.
In other words, the ascetic practice of “changing the channel in our mind” when we notice we begin to dwell on our worries. Preoccupation is our real enemy. If I remember correctly, Michael, this was one of the themes in your thread on “Emptiness” a while back.

With time and grace our ascetic practice may be transformed into a more mystical understanding of “self-forgetfulness” … when we no longer need to work at this “changing of the channel;” it’s now our natural state, infused by God. This is one of the hallmarks of unitive life.

Dave:)
 
+JMJ+
In other words, the ascetic practice of “changing the channel in our mind” when we notice we begin to dwell on our worries. Preoccupation is our real enemy. If I remember correctly, Michael, this was one of the themes in your thread on “Emptiness” a while back.

With time and grace our ascetic practice may be transformed into a more mystical understanding of “self-forgetfulness” … when we no longer need to work at this “changing of the channel;” it’s now our natural state, infused by God. This is one of the hallmarks of unitive life.

Dave:)
The problem sometimes is that people get even more anxious when they find it is hard to “change the channel”, from that of worry to that of letting go, especially when they are just starting to learn how to do this.

Here again John 16:33 helps me. Difficulties in “changing the mind channel” or “shifting mental gears” is just one more “trouble” that the Lord told me to expect from this world, and realizing that lowers my anxiety. Then the promise of “But be of good cheer, I have overcome the world!” lowers my anxiety still, in that the Lord promises me that We will overcome this trouble, like all the others troubles We have overcome.

Does the anxiety go away totally? Almost always, NO. But always they are lowered to manageable levels. I think the Lord wants me to live not totally free of fear so that I would more than conquer it with Him.

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: “For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. (Romans 8:35-37)

And what is to “more than conquer”? Well, to conquer someone is to destroy him either physically or some other means; to more than conquer someone is to make him your friend. In other words, to more than conquer your fear is to make it a source of strength and grace, until perfect love, which we will have in Heaven where there will be no more fear of punishment, “drives out all fear” (1 John 4:18).
 
+JMJ+

My own way of overcoming anxiety is John 16:33.

I have told you these things that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.

First off, anxiety is a fear of future misfortunes, as stated by St. Thomas Aquinas (source). And all fear, also according to St. Thomas, has three requirements (source):
  • There is an “imagination of a future evil which is either corruptive or painful” that can either be barely resisted, or insurmountable.
  • This evil is in the near future, and the nearer the future, the worse the fear.
  • There is a hope for escape from this evil.
This last requirement is why there is a big change in the attitude of someone who is walking to his execution: whereas before he was frightened of dying, he would be then seen calmly walking to his death, precisely because he has no more chance of escape.

And this is one way how John 16:33 saves me from anxiety: God Himself saying there is no escape from the troubles of this world. “In this world you will have trouble.” I am frankly amazed how just this one sentence from Scripture wipes away fear.

But that is not all. John 16:33 also says: “…that in Me you may have peace…I have overcome the world.” Thus, God also says that the evils that I face, which by myself I can barely or not even able to overcome, He will overcome for me, if I remain in Him.

And therefore, by keeping John 16:33 in my heart, anxiety melts away, and thus I cannot help but “be of good cheer”!
Goodness. Having some anxiety is normal. It is an normal reaction to stress. It is a normal reaction to have some anxiety before a job interview or exam.
Anxiety disorders are complex and aren’t just “fear of future misfortunes.” They are irrational fears.

nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/anxiety-disorders/index.shtml
 
+JMJ+
Goodness. Having some anxiety is normal. It is an normal reaction to stress. It is a normal reaction to have some anxiety before a job interview or exam.
Anxiety disorders are complex and aren’t just “fear of future misfortunes.” They are irrational fears.

nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/anxiety-disorders/index.shtml
LOL I love people who post without reading the rest of the thread. Why don’t you check what I posted a few posts down?
 
Goodness. Having some anxiety is normal. It is an normal reaction to stress. It is a normal reaction to have some anxiety before a job interview or exam.
Anxiety disorders are complex and aren’t just “fear of future misfortunes.” They are irrational fears.

nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/anxiety-disorders/index.shtml
With my anxiety attacks, they did not involve cognition, but the very strong, physical effects of anxiety were very discomforting.
 
When speaking of anxiety from a spiritual perspective (rather than medical), it might be good to note that it is but one type of “passion” we are meant to mortify. We are challenged to free all our emotions - our joys, hopes, sorrows and fears - from that which is disordered. In this case, anxiety is simply a sub-set of fear.

We are human so of course we will naturally feel these emotions all the time. One sign, though, that we are growing “attached” is when we dwell on our feelings for longer than is necessary … which makes us (even if only momentarily) forgetful of God. And forgetfulness of God is the spiritual harm we should seek to avoid at all costs.

When such attachment to a joy, hope, sorrow or fear becomes persistent our spiritual imperfection is tending toward a “habit” which then assumes the risk of becoming disordered. That’s when the real trouble begins. Spiritual growth becomes stunted.

The solution is simple to understand but quite another to habitually put into practice … to pray without ceasing. In short, we recall our mind and heart back to God whenever we notice it strays … especially when we are clinging to some emotionally charged thought or feeling. Experience will likely show that it is more difficult to “let go” at such times … especially if we allow it to take root.

So this is very much an ascetic practice … difficult at first but with time and grace it may grow very natural and easy. It takes on a mystical dimension when it becomes second nature in us … almost like breathing.

Brother Lawrence’s “Practice of the Presence of God” is one very good example of how to begin putting these teachings into action.

Hope this helps …

Dave 🙂
 
One more personal perspective …

Nuntym seemed to be describing a kind of epiphany type experience … a personal encounter with Jesus through Scripture that helps her with a particular struggle. These type of “infused knowings” are to be highly prized and are a great aid in the spiritual life. These “knowings” act like a kind of knife that no longer struggles to cut through bone and gristle … for now all is warm butter.

In my own case with anxiety, it was the “understanding” that came upon me that all I need to do is repeat a simple prayer throughout the day: “Jesus, how are you going to help me?” This prayer relentlessly places me in the here and now and I begin to “see” all the ways He helps me moment-by-moment … things my tendency toward introspection would normally drown out. No wonder St. John of the Cross describes the initial stirrings of contemplation to be so hard to discern … because the Beloved’s voice is so soft and subtle as to go unheard until we learn (or are taught) to still and silence ourselves. The fruit of this little prayer is that it turns my anxieties - which unchecked can sometimes be paralyzing - into a puddle of warm butter that doesn’t even need a knife.

But only if I trust.

If I don’t, I begin to sink into the water just like Peter. Or should I say butter? 🙂

And there is both mystery and joy in this “knowing.” The mystery is that I never really know “how” He will help me two or three steps down the line. The joy is in the finding out.

Dave 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top