L
lil_user
Guest
Not the opposite. That would be impossible.I have three catechisms that day the opposite.
Something may not be intrinsically evil but today may be called inadmissible. The Church has this authority.
Not the opposite. That would be impossible.I have three catechisms that day the opposite.
Indeed.Truth is not relative to time or place.
As surely as I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked should turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why should you die…?
Ez 33:11
God is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
2 Pt 3 : 9
Be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect
Mt 5:48
"Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?” [Jesus said:] “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone…”
Jn 8:4-7
The traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude, presupposing full ascertainment of the identity and responsibility of the offender, recourse to the death penalty, when this is the only practicable way to defend the lives of human beings effectively against the aggressor.
If, instead, bloodless means are sufficient to defend against the aggressor and to protect the safety of persons, public authority should limit itself to such means, because they better correspond to the concrete conditions of the common good and are more in conformity to the dignity of the human person.
Today, in fact, given the means at the State’s disposal to effectively repress crime by rendering inoffensive the one who has committed it, without depriving him definitively of the possibility of redeeming himself, cases of absolute necessity for suppression of the offender 'today … are very rare, if not practically non-existent.
All doctrine is originating from somewhere. A lot is based on the Scripture, and on the Tradition. Tradition also consists of literature from the Saints, the works of great Church doctors such as St. Augustine, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Bonaventure, St. Catherine of Siena, etc.Except a theologian or saint or angel saying something doesn’t make it Catholic teaching. Only the Magisterium can do that.
Per se, he has officially changed the Church´s view on death penalty in the Catechism. I think that´s pretty intense.Pope Francis can’t change doctrine otherwise that means the Catholic Church is false.
It was accepted by the Church for hundreds of years, but then Pope Francis decided to change it in the Cathechism to what you state, he did this, this year. THIS YEAR. That is basically contradicting former doctrine, which is not okay. And he didn´t even do this ex-cathetra!! That means he has basically made his own personal opinion doctrine…However, today the Church explicitly teaches that it is inadmissible , and to this we owe religious submission of mind and will. We don’t have to like it, just to be humble and accept it.
I work in care. Many times I work 16 hours per day without a break, that is life.And how is that humane? That´s worse.
This is what I specifically draw issue with.Today… there is an increasing awareness that the dignity of the person is not lost even after the commission of very serious crimes.
It seems you don’t agree with the Pope / bishops’ views and you’re making more out of the issue than necessary.Per se, he has officially changed the Church´s view on death penalty in the Catechism. I think that´s pretty intense.
I´m not saying you´re obligated, but it´s as a matter of fact doctrine. It´s importance are to be question as this is more than anything a matter of politics. That´s why I believe it can´t be right that death penalty is intristically evil, like Pope Francis describes it. It breaks all ties to traditional doctrine on the topic.If evolving views of capital punishment constitutes abandoning doctrine then I guess we’ve already abandoned all sorts of “doctrines”. I guess that means the protestants were right all along: the Church does not have authority.
He’s the Holy Father, it’s within his authority to do so, and we are supposed to listen when he exercises his prerogatives on matters of faith and morals. And like I said, the change bears no contradiction. It’s just a change of perspective. What worked before no longer is necessary now.Pope Francis decided to change it in the Cathechism
I don’t believe we should pay for them to be in prison
This kind of thinking says one would rather have the State kill someone than allocate State resources for the good of the State. Not pointing fingers at anyone here, just curious. Is it because killing is cheaper? Because it is the Gospel approach to the issue?why should we spend our tax money
That today we’re less likely to butcher people on the public square.there is an “increasing awareness”? what is that supposed to mean?
It seems so, given that His Son addressed this same issue in a different way when presented before a case where the death penalty applied.Did God Himself need an increased awareness of human dignity when He said over and over again in the OT that murderers need to pay with their lives
Where did he say this? The Catechism speaks of inadmissible, not intrinsically evil. If as a private person the Holy Father said that, it was likely a slip of the tongue.it can´t be right that death penalty is intristically evil, like Pope Francis describes it