Deathbed confession

  • Thread starter Thread starter normdplume
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

normdplume

Guest
I’m writing a scene in which a character is dying. The priest knows the man is in a state of mortal sin from a homosexual relationship. Since the priest already knows the sin, can he give absolution, or does the dying man have to confess first?

Thanks
 
Sins must be confessed. A priest has no authority to forgive sins that are known but unconfessed. One cannot impose salvation on another.
 
Last time I confessed, the priest absolved me for all sins ‘spoken and unspoken’. Of course I had to be fully conscious.
 
I’m writing a scene in which a character is dying. The priest knows the man is in a state of mortal sin from a homosexual relationship. Since the priest already knows the sin, can he give absolution, or does the dying man have to confess first?
Is your character conscious and able to confess, or unconscious?
 
The correct answer has already been given. If someone is conscious and able to confess, they must do so, at least in the given situation.

-Fr ACEGC
 
You are welcome. Not sure why it took so many posts. The answer is pretty logical and straightforward.
 
This raised a question from me!
Suppose the dying man was conscious but unable to speak yet could nod yes or no. Because the Priest knows of his mortal sin, could he ask the man if he wished to confess this specific sin where the man could then nod assent? In other words, could the Priest be the mouthpiece for the man or does the man have to specifically ask the Priest himself?

Sorry but I’m still learning how confession works!
 
Confession cards is a thing. So the penitent can point to certain things, rather than the priest leading the confession or pressuring the penitent in a certain direction.
 
This raised a question from me!
Suppose the dying man was conscious but unable to speak yet could nod yes or no. Because the Priest knows of his mortal sin, could he ask the man if he wished to confess this specific sin where the man could then nod assent? In other words, could the Priest be the mouthpiece for the man or does the man have to specifically ask the Priest himself?

Sorry but I’m still learning how confession works!
The priest can ask for clarity on things which have been confessed.

eg.

penitent: “Sexual immorality”
priest: “With yourself or others?”
penitent: “Others”
priest: “Of the opposite or same sex?”
penitent: “The same sex”

Then the penitent has confessed “homosexual acts”, even though he has been led to it.

Nodding yes or no would count if that were all he were capable of.

If the penitent had not indicated a particular sin in any way, and the priest knew of it, would he prompt him? I suspect not in normal circumstances, but I suspect that in the circumstances you describe he might. Interesting question.
 
Last edited:
If the person has called for a priest to bring the Sacraments, that in itself can be a sign that the person wishes to reconcile with the Church. As long as the person is able to indicate their repentence with so much as the blink of an eye or the movement of a hand (I am thinking of folks on a vent who cannot speak) the priest is able to make a pastoral decision and grant not only absolution but an Apostolic Pardon.
 
My daughters father in law had a stroke and was unable to speak and my daughter told me he got last rites as well. She kind of stepped out of the way so didn’t hear how it went but the family was very relieved that he was absolved. He died a few hours later…age 57. It was an immense comfort to his family.
 
May I ask what the difference is? I’ve never heard that term before.
 
The details do not have to be given. The man can merely confess he sinned against chastity.

If you think God will be unhappy without the priest hearing the details of a confession from a contrite heart, then God is not the God of unconditional love as you’ve been taught.

Jim
 
Thanks so much. Yes, it explained it and even included the prayer. What did surprise me is how many Catholics don’t know about this! One commenter even asked why it wasn’t always included in the last rites of the dying which I thought was a good question (the article doesn’t answer that). Anyone know why it isn’t always included?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top