Debunking Sola Fide

  • Thread starter Thread starter Matthias123
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matthias123

Guest
Need help with those quotes by the Early Church fathers. (Attached) I am not very good at justification theology.

I know they obviously don’t support Sola Fide, I am just not sure how they don’t.
look at Jeremiah 32:40. It says, “I will make an everlasting covenant with them that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; and I will put the fear of Me in their hearts so that they will not turn away from Me. " And in John 6 it says, 37”(AY)All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out.
38"For (AZ)I have come down from heaven, (BA)not to do My own will, but (BB)the will of Him who (BC)sent Me. 39"This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of (BD)all that He has given Me I (BE)lose nothing, but (BF)raise it up on the last day." Jesus clearly says that he will not loose one of his sheep. This is also made clear in John 10, where he says,
27"My sheep (AK)hear My voice, and (AL)I know them, and they follow Me;
28and I give (AM)eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and (AN)no one will snatch them out of My hand.
29"[a]My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.
30"(AO)I and the Father are one."
I want to ask you a question. If a shepherd looses his sheep, is that a good shepherd? No! And Jesus is not a bad shepherd. He is the good shepherd. You see the reason we believe that a person cannot loose his salvation is not just so that no one can prove us wrong in an argument, but it is because the glory of God is at stake! If you begin to say that Jesus will loose his sheep then you are saying that Jesus is not a good shepherd. Jesus is not a bad shepherd. He is the good shepherd.
Some help with this will help too. The person who wrote this was a baptist.

Thanks friends.👍
 
Need help with those quotes by the Early Church fathers. (Attached) I am not very good at justification theology.

I know they obviously don’t support Sola Fide, I am just not sure how they don’t.

Some help with this will help too. The person who wrote this was a baptist.

Thanks friends.👍
Hey Matthias,

I am sure one of the Catholic posters can help you. I don’t have enough resources to either argue for or against what the patristics believed.

Anyway, I did want to ask you a question.

Let’s suppose 50% of the fathers were pro sola scriptura and 50% against. Would that matter? The reason I ask is that your church has clearly stated (at Trent if nowhere else) that the deposit of faith contains both tradition and scripture so what would it matter of a certain father believed something or not?

I am not trying to start an argument or debate but am just curious.
 
there are way too many quotes to really address from that document, at least for me to address. From what I did look at there were only few that claimed anything that could even mistakenly be taken for faith “alone”.

There is a good article with A LOT of research done that addresses these quotes:

matt1618.freeyellow.com/fathers.html
matt1618.freeyellow.com/page5.html

From what I can see from Matt1618’s arguments, one has to take all of any particular ECF’s writings into account. He puts together good quotes that give us a good understanding of each person’s FULL understanding of salvation and justification. These are not single quotes pulled out to serve a point, he attempts to make a full understanding of it.

And, I agree with his conclusion, while there are some ECFs that use verbage like “faith alone” or “solely by faith in Christ”, it does not mean the same as what modern day sole fide means.

But, have a look at those links, they will help.
 
In that word document they are cherry picking quotes. Take the first one he cites, Clement of Rome.

He clearly thinks that Clement is authoritative and reliable since he builds his case on it. Quote to him the rest of what Clement says in the epsitle. By doing so he will be shown that the Catholic approach to everything was also Clements. He will then decide that he doesn’t like Clement so much.

I don’t like to link to my own blog but I cannot paste the quotes I have here without exceeding the post size limit.

My Post On Clement
earlier this year. The Church in Corinth writes to Rome. Rome answers and expects a report back that the matter has been settled. The secession of the episcopate, its apostolic establishment, submission to authority, the presence of authority, the notion of rank and role within the church,and on and on. Through the quotes of scripture throughout his epistle we see Clement using the LXX for his scriptural citations including references to Judith and, I believe, to Wisdom of Solomon.

I cannot help with St. John Chrysostam, another of his sources, but the same thing can be done with that.

If they want to use patristics they have to accept the totality of the author or work they cite, and they won’t want to do it.
 
Sorry, only have time to look through the quotes offered from Pope Clement. I don’t see how anyone can build a case on salvation by faith alone from those quotes. Pope Clement was talking about justification: that moment of entering into communion with God, when we are rescued from darkness and transplanted into the Kingdom of God’s only-Begotten Son, and that is achieved by the paschal mystery of Jesus and is received by faith and the sacramental actions of the Church.

Now that we have entered into relationship with God through his Son, we are called to work out our salvation by cultivating a life of faith, hope and charity. So both faith and works are necessary, unless you have not been blessed with the use of reason to live a life of love on earth.

Faith is the beginning, and Love is the end.
 
Hey Matthias,

I am sure one of the Catholic posters can help you. I don’t have enough resources to either argue for or against what the patristics believed.

Anyway, I did want to ask you a question.

Let’s suppose 50% of the fathers were pro sola scriptura and 50% against. Would that matter? The reason I ask is that your church has clearly stated (at Trent if nowhere else) that the deposit of faith contains both tradition and scripture so what would it matter of a certain father believed something or not?

I am not trying to start an argument or debate but am just curious.
Well Church Tradition is that, a tradition stemming the Church Fathers.
At least that’s how we see it and justify it.

If every single Church Father was a hardcore follower of Sola Scriptura and Tradition was looked down upon for the first thousand years, then we really have no justification.

Just like if every Ante-Nicene Father believed Jesus was just a man and married to Mary Magdalene but after the Council of Nicene was called Divine and never married. We’d have no justification for the divinity of Christ.

Same basic principle.

If a certain theological viewpoint was developing in the years of the Church Fathers, and is not written blatantly in Scripture, then its part of Tradition once it’s been made official by the Church.

All Catholic dogmas (as we view them) are alluded to and don’t contradict Scripture (or our interpretations of Scripture). They hold their origins in the early Church.

For example, Mary’s perpetual virginity has been a view of the Church from the very beginning and the Immaculate Conception developed over time but has its roots in the early Church.

One can see this as apostasy or divine revelation. It’s really up to the interpreter.
 
Let’s suppose 50% of the fathers were pro sola scriptura and 50% against. Would that matter? The reason I ask is that your church has clearly stated (at Trent if nowhere else) that the deposit of faith contains both tradition and scripture so what would it matter of a certain father believed something or not?
You do of course realize that none of the Fathers were “Sola Scritpura” because tradition and oral teaching was the basis the Christian Church of the Apostles was built upon ? They preached first and wrote later. Paul commanded them to hold to all he taught whether orally or in writing, he told them to hold to the traditions, there are other examples.

Likewise the canon of scripture itself was decided by authority and tradition. The Jewish authority and tradition over time decided to add a lot of books to the canon beyond the Torah. The Church likewise defined its canon and knowledge of what books make up that canon is passed along outside of scripture via tradition.

Just something to think about.
 
Thank you

That is to me, the best argument against Sola Scriptura.

I hate to sound pompus but after all did’nt we write the book? (New Testemant) or at least cannonize it?

Glen from Poughkeepsie
 
Some Baptist Dude:
If a shepherd looses his sheep, is that a good shepherd? No! And Jesus is not a bad shepherd. He is the good shepherd! … If you begin to say that Jesus will loose his sheep then you are saying that Jesus is not a good shepherd. Jesus is not a bad shepherd. He is the good shepherd.
I would quickly counter with something about wolves in sheeps clothing and try to remember the chapter where this is referenced if I could. You could make the argument that not all people are sheep, that we become sheep through baptism.

==

But the guy you are arguing with has not studied Biblical history. I can tell that he has little knowlege of the social, political and economic conditions under which the authors of sacred scripture and their intended audience operated. He is reading scripture in his own 21st century world and taking the words to mean what they mean to modern man. In his ignorace (I mean that in a charitable way) he gleans little knowlege of the ideas that the authors were trying to convey.

He simply doesn’t understand what the words salvation and faith (AKA sola fide) mean in the Bible…

Faith today means a belief in your mind or a feeling in your heart. A profession of faith today might get you a few strange looks from the guys at work and where I live in the deep south, having “Faith” will likely result in an invitation to Friday night Bible study and fellowship. For the ancients however, a public profession of faith, which likely included baptism, was a public renunciation of the oath of alliegiance one had to make to the Roman emperor - it was treason and was punishable by death! For a Jew, “Faith” in Jesus was a renunciation of the mosaic law and rejection of rabbinic authority which, at a minimum, would mean ostracization by your family, inability to conduct business with Jewish merchants, etc. For the ancients, faith was a public act with potentially deadly consequences! Think of a Muslim in Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia who professes “Faith in Jesus” and you get the idea.

Ther terms “Salvation” and “Redemption” are terms in the Bible which were drawn from the way in which debtor’s prisons operated. Modern man, including the Baptist who argued in favor of sola fide, has no context under which to understand these terms as they were used by the authors of sacred scripture and early Chistians.

From “Halloween, High Street, and Holy Witnesses” by Donald Casadonte in This Rock Magazine, May-June 2001:

***"Look, I’m not sure that you understand the term you’re using. You see, no first-century Jew or Gentile would have had the vaguest idea about what you’re talking about when you phrase the question like that. Their concept of the word salvation would have been derived from their experiences of what was known by the Hebrews as ‘debtor’s prison.’

When a first-century person could not pay his debt, he was often thrown into prison until the debt was paid. To further humiliate him, the debtor was forbidden to pay the debt himself, even if he came into some money while in prison. A relative had to come and pay the amount owed. This paying of the bill was called redemption. Now, look, before Christ came, we were all in a sort of debtor’s prison because of the sin of Adam. We could not pay the debt ourselves. A relative had to come and pay it for us. This may be one reason why Christ became man, became our relative by blood, so to speak.

In any case, once the debt was redeemed, the relative was then given the right to walk back to the prison cell, open it, and escort the debtor out of the prison. This second process-the application of the ‘right-to-leave’ that the relative had purchased for the debtor and the debtor’s willingness to be so publicly humiliated in being led out of the prison-is what a first-century person would have understood by the term salvation.

"Catholics believe that the world was redeemed by Christ’s sacrifice on the cross, but the second part of the process, the salvation part, depends partially on us. You see, even when Christ walks into the prison and takes us by the hand to save us-Christians almost universally call this initial step “baptism”-we still have to walk with him out of the cell. And we can let go of his hand at any time before we get to the door, if we are sufficiently cantankerous or too ashamed to be recognized as his kin. We certainly can lose (technically, give up) our salvation, as any good first-century Jew or Gentile would have realized.

“Anyway, a person isn’t fully saved until he’s actually crossed the threshold of the cell-for us, by analogy, the prison of this world-into the daylight-heaven. If you told a first-century person that they could be sure of their salvation, they would have looked at you as if you were speaking a foreign language.”***The rest of the article can be found here.

When you could not pay a debt, you were sued “at the gate” where the judges typically sat. If you were unable to pay, you would have been thrown into prison “Until you have paid the last penny.” To be “Redeemed” is to be “"Purchased for a price.” All of these Biblical terms reference how debtor’s prisons operated.

*So then, my beloved, obedient as you have always been, not only when I am present but all the more now when I am absent, work out your salvation with fear and trembling. (Phillipians 2:12)*I’m with St. Paul, redeemed but working out my salvation as best as I can, and with God’s help, not letting go of Jesus’ hand - which is his Church - until I cross the threshold “Into the light.”

“Faith” and “Salvation” are Biblica terms which are lightly understood by many, including Catholics but especially sola fide Protestants.

-Tim-
 
There are some very bright folks here. I thank you for all the research both scriptual and historical.

My take on such things as Sola Scriptura are more simple. It seems to me as said, Catholics cannonized the Scripture of the new testement. If this is true, we can easily (for me anyway) see that oral argument had to be employed. That alone shows the importance of the “Church” (Christian leaders) The next step to assume that more has been revealed to the Church over time seems so simple to grasp. What seems hard to grasp is that once put to paper (or whatever they used) That was the end of teaching.

No I believe in my heart that Jesus is always teaching. Our job is to listen.

Glen From Poughkeepsie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top