Defending the Rosary

  • Thread starter Thread starter EphelDuath
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I’ve said thousands of hail Marys in my day.
It became rote.
It was so bad that I could be planning my next days breakfast while praying the rosary. My mind would just wander because I didn’t have to even think about what I was saying.
Sure I would count off the beads. But my mind would be elsewhere.
I am so sorry that no one ever taught you to say the rosary properly.
 
I know I’ve said thousands of hail Marys in my day.
It became rote.
It was so bad that I could be planning my next days breakfast while praying the rosary. My mind would just wander because I didn’t have to even think about what I was saying.
Sure I would count off the beads. But my mind would be elsewhere.
The point is Jesus prayed the same prayer repetitively. This shows that repetitive prayer is not wrong, and is, in fact, Biblical. Jesus was condemning VAIN repetition, much like what you describe of yourself. You merely rattled the words without meditating on the life of Christ as you were supposed to. THEN it became rote. If distraction was a problem, then why did you not say your Rosary with an open Bible in front of you? And when distractions did come, why did you not offer them up in prayer?

I’m sorry, but the problem is not with the Rosary. And if repetition is characteristic of Christ’s prayers and the prayers of the heavenly host, then there is no problem with me.
 
I never got Manny’s pie charts from post #51 when I was taught the rosary.
I didn’t either. I had to research the Rosary whether or not it was Biblical. I find it to be very Biblical. I wasn’t properly catechized you know, but I actually took the time to read Catholic Apologetic books, audios, MP3s. I even took the time to read writings of the Pope like John Paul II’s Letter.

I think the majority of the Catholics who are poorly catechized need to investigate themselves. I would recommend reading Catholic materials written by Catholics. You should be careful to read any material, that is contrary to the teachings of the Church.

I know some liberal Catholics, who claim they are practicing but they don’t believe in contraception or abortion as wrong.

Catholic.com is one the site I recommend. As well as the Vatican website.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church is also available for free online.

I think the rosary is a very powerful prayer. There was story during World War II when the US dropped the Atomic Bomb in Hiroshima.

Here is the story:
There was a home eight blocks (about 1 kilometer) from where the A-Bomb went off in Hiroshima Japan. This home had a church attached to it which was completely destroyed, but the home survived, and so did the **eight German Jesuit missionaries who prayed the rosary **in that house faithfully every day. These men were missionaries to the Japanese people, they were non-military, but because Germany and Japan were allies during WWII they were permitted to live and minister within Japan during the war. Not only did they all survive with (at most) relatively minor injuries, but they all lived well past that awful day with no radiation sickness, no loss of hearing, or any other visible long term defects or maladies. Naturally, they were interviewed numerous times (Fr. Schiffer, a survivor, said over 200 times) by scientists and health care people about their remarkable experience and they say "we believe that we survived because we were living the message of Fatima. We lived and prayed the rosary daily in that home." Of course the secular scientists are speechless and incredulous at this explanation - and they are sure there is some “real” explanation - but at the same time over 55 years later the scientists are still absolutely bamboozled when it comes to finding a plausible scenario to explain the missionary’s unique escape from the hellish power of that bomb.
Source: holysouls.com/sar/rosarymiracle.htm

A miracle isn’t it? God I believe intervene and protected them.
 
I know I’ve said thousands of hail Marys in my day.
It became rote.
It was so bad that I could be planning my next days breakfast while praying the rosary. My mind would just wander because I didn’t have to even think about what I was saying.
Sure I would count off the beads. But my mind would be elsewhere.
Sorry to be so blunt, but you were doing it wrong. If you weren’t meditating on the mysteries, you were indeed babbling like a pagan. That is not what the Rosary is. This is not entirely your fault, you should have been instructed by your parents/godparents in this matter.

By the way, do you know the historical context behind what Jesus said in Matthew 6:7?

I have to say that EVERY time I pray the Rosary, I receive at least one new insight or new perspective on the Mysteries. I think all of us are guilty of letting our minds wander occasionally, however, we need to rebuke the distraction and guide our mind back to the Mysteries… not plan breakfast.
 
Will there be pie charts?
I remember when lollipops were sweet:p .

But seriously, you have been presented with “vain” and “mindless” repetition of prayers from Scripture Itself, yet you resort to pish-posh and piddle.

why?🤷

Because you’re “thesis” has been soundly rebutted?
 
Sorry to be so blunt, but you were doing it wrong. If you weren’t meditating on the mysteries, you were indeed babbling like a pagan. That is not what the Rosary is. This is not entirely your fault, you should have been instructed by your parents/godparents in this matter.

By the way, do you know the historical context behind what Jesus said in Matthew 6:7?

I have to say that EVERY time I pray the Rosary, I receive at least one new insight or new perspective on the Mysteries. I think all of us are guilty of letting our minds wander occasionally, however, we need to rebuke the distraction and guide our mind back to the Mysteries… not plan breakfast.
Don’t you think I tried to keep my mind on the prayer?
I wasn’t just praying to help me get to sleep you know.
I was praying for a reason and of course I wanted to do it in a Godly fashion.
I found my mind wandering the whole time at mass also.
 
I remember when lollipops were sweet:p .

But seriously, you have been presented with “vain” and “mindless” repetition of prayers from Scripture Itself, yet you resort to pish-posh and piddle.

why?🤷

Because you’re “thesis” has been soundly rebutted?
I don’t understand this post.
What is pish posh piddle. I’m from N Y we don’t use that term here.
 
I don’t understand this post.
What is pish posh piddle. I’m from N Y we don’t use that term here.
you must be from upstate then. I’m a native Long Islander, the term is used in New York.

But from your posts on the Rosary, it seems there is a lot that you don’t understand. Not a jab, only an observation.

Still avoiding the “vain” and “mindless” repetition prayers from Scripture, are we?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top