M
mmmcloug
Guest
Hello All,
A close friend of mine is an evangelical Christian who has recently decided in favor of double predestination, using Romans 9 in his defense. I have been doing a lot of studying to respond to him and defend the Catholic view of predestination - the combination of God’s grace and our free will - but there are some passages I’m not sure how to address:
Romans 9:8-23 - about Jacob and Esau, the Pharaoh, and the potter and his clay
Romans 11:5-10 - about how Israel failed to obtain what it was seeking because they ‘were hardened’
What is the Catholic interpretation of these passages? What can I say to my friend about these specific passages to defend the truth?
Thank you so much for your help!
God bless.
A close friend of mine is an evangelical Christian who has recently decided in favor of double predestination, using Romans 9 in his defense. I have been doing a lot of studying to respond to him and defend the Catholic view of predestination - the combination of God’s grace and our free will - but there are some passages I’m not sure how to address:
Romans 9:8-23 - about Jacob and Esau, the Pharaoh, and the potter and his clay
Romans 11:5-10 - about how Israel failed to obtain what it was seeking because they ‘were hardened’
What is the Catholic interpretation of these passages? What can I say to my friend about these specific passages to defend the truth?
Thank you so much for your help!
God bless.