E
EasterJoy
Guest
Well, it is imaginable that the Catholics cover them to show respect to their own sacred symbols and sacramentals and the Jews are OK with that because the symbols make their own liturgy seem less in place when uncovered. It is the Catholic reasons that need to be found understandable and acceptable by the parishioners, but if the Jewish reasons for going along with it are disconcerting, that could be a factor to some.Just to be clear, and sorry I didn’t make it plain before, the Stations of the Cross were covered up. This has been confirmed by at least 3 witnesses who somehow got in to see it and apparently there are pictures. There aren’t many statues in the sanctuary…only two-- off to the side-- if I remember correctly, but one of the witnesses said that they were covered. They were covered because they symbolize Christian worship.
Assuming that the statues/stations of the cross/altar were covered for these reasons and not the ones that EasterJoy supposed, do you think that’s right?
When I wrote that it was a delicate situation, I meant that it was a delicate situation for both sides, and not just with regards to the sensibilities of the Jewish congregants. The sensibilities of the parishioners in the host parish have to be taken into account, too. Even if my scenario were totally true, it would still not fly if the parishioners didn’t buy it, IMHO. I don’t think it would be wise for a pastor to be either heavy-handed or to try to “fly under the radar” with this. It has to be something the parishioners will go with when it is done altogether openly. You don’t give your home over to the use of friends while on vacation, and fail to let the kids know that you’re doing that, even if you’re the parent and they’re kids. Pastors have authority over their parishes, but they had better give their adult parishioners far more consideration even than what a parent owes to children living under his or her roof. This is about peace and mutual trust within the family, between those who have the authority and those who do have feelings worthy of respect by those who want their trust, even if they don’t have ultimate authority. I mean that even the pastor and a unanimous parish council ought not to try to ram this down the other parishioners’ throats. I think that would be imprudent.
If I were in the Jewish congregation, and found that the local Catholic church couldn’t be used because there wasn’t a way to deal with the permanent Christian artwork inside that both sides could be comfortable with, I wouldn’t take that as anti-semitism. This is like asking to use someone’s home, not like asking to borrow their car. It is a very intimate invitation, and all sides need to not only be respected and acting in fidelity to their own beliefs, but need to feel that way, too.