Dental insurance dilemma

  • Thread starter Thread starter nodito
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nodito

Guest
Hey guys,

I’m too close to this situation and I thought you might help me gain some perspective. I have an ethical dilemma regarding dental insurance.

I was out of work for several months when I went to the dentist for a routine cleaning and learned that I need a couple of fillings. I didn’t have insurance at the time and decided to postpone the work, which would have cost me several hundred dollars.

Fast forward a few weeks. I landed a great job with great benefits. I can choose from two dental plans: the basic plan, which covers about 50% of all services after my deductible and has a less expensive premium, and the premium plan, which covers 80% of the work and has a more expensive premium.

Since I’m starting this new job in the beginning of December, I have to enroll for 2010 benefits at the same time I enroll for 2009 benefits. I can choose different dentals plans for each year. I made a dental appointment to get my dental work done for a Saturday in December. My question is, would it be unethical for me to enroll in the more expensive plan only for December (so that I pay less for the dental work) and then switch to the less expensive plan for 2010 after I’ve gotten the fillings? This is legal and legit according to HR, but I wanted some Catholic eyes on the issue.

Thoughts?
 
There’s absolutely nothing unethical about taking options that are freely offered to you. The fact that these options are of a financial benefit to you is really a happy coincidence.

But you do need to make sure that the benefits kick in immediately and that you can actually have the work done in December. Otherwise your plan is for naught.
 
IMO you are making the system work for you, and if the HR reps say it’s legit then go for it. Smart idea, btw. 👍
 
First of all, congrats on the new job! Next, I don’t think that there is anything wrong with that at all. There are a lot of different options out there and that’s what competition is all about. I just switched out of the Dental Insurance plan that I had because there was another one that was better. You have to make decisions in the best interest of you and your family. I’m sure the hundreds of dollars could benefit your family, right?
 
These are part of the benefits you are receiving for working at your company… use them! 🙂
They wouldn’t hire you if they were unable to cover the insurance co-pays from their end.
 
Everybody should always try to find the best insurance for the best benefits that fit you and your needs. It is all legal too.

I have a dental and health insurance plan that I can change every year.
 
My understanding has been that benefit plans can only change during open enrollment.
 
I have dental insurance, thank God. I wanted to switch doctors, and the new office was demanding that I give up my social security number to them for their “system.”

I was told that the ssn was needed to verify my insurance coverage (totally bogus!).

I was referred to the corporate office where on my third try to get through the deluge of calls, I finally got to talk to someone. They helped me find out that the ssn IS NOT required by their “system” – there is a way to work around that.

Gently but firmly hold your ground and do not give up that private information. The corporate office called the local clinic and I promptly got a call and an apology for their ignorance about the company’s policy and the “system.”

OP: go ahead and enroll as others have advised you. Business is business, whatever is legitimate.
 
You might want to verify pre-existing condition clauses on your dental plans.

I don’t see a problem with you plan.
 
One thing to think about, are you going to need more work? Like if you were getting a bridge or something and it falls out, can you afford to replace it on the lesser plan?
 
My only thought: several hundred dollars for a COUPLE OF FILLINGS?!? For real?

Someone’s making an astronomical profit and ripping someone else off - you don’t need to be the one being ripped off. If the price is being driven by US insurance company… stuff… that I don’t understand and that seems to happen to all medical and dental bills, then by all means work the insurance system to your benefit as much as possible.

(I had a couple of fillings done myself two days ago, at a private dentist, not even partly covered by healthcare and not subsidized by the gov’t. I paid a total of 40 euros.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top