O
otjm
Guest
That is not really responsive to my question, in particular as it ignores the rest of my post.
I can’t speak for you as we have not had the opportunity to sit and talk. But I have found a good deal of vindictiveness and an attitude of “That will show them!” from people I have spoend with, face to face, over their attitude of public excommunication. It is as if their attitude is that the individuals need a public beating and then need to be cast into the outer darkness.
That is not the purpose of an excommunication. The purpose is to clarify, to make crystal clear to that individual that their actions have removed them from the Church, the Body of Christ, and to move them to reconciliation. As such it does not need to be made public. It is not “Yeah! We kicked his @$$ out of here!”, but rather the final step to rectify a major break with the Church.
It most definitely does not need to be done publicly. And the Church uses it very sparingly, contrary to the perceived wishes of many people in the pews - and those who should be but are not in the pews.
I can’t speak for you as we have not had the opportunity to sit and talk. But I have found a good deal of vindictiveness and an attitude of “That will show them!” from people I have spoend with, face to face, over their attitude of public excommunication. It is as if their attitude is that the individuals need a public beating and then need to be cast into the outer darkness.
That is not the purpose of an excommunication. The purpose is to clarify, to make crystal clear to that individual that their actions have removed them from the Church, the Body of Christ, and to move them to reconciliation. As such it does not need to be made public. It is not “Yeah! We kicked his @$$ out of here!”, but rather the final step to rectify a major break with the Church.
It most definitely does not need to be done publicly. And the Church uses it very sparingly, contrary to the perceived wishes of many people in the pews - and those who should be but are not in the pews.