Depression

  • Thread starter Thread starter trish_scotland
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trish_scotland

Guest
This is an illness that i really do not understaand however i am more than positive that i suffer from it. I am always anxious and nervous for no apparant reason and to me everything is doom and gloom although deep down i know things arent that bad. I went to the doctor a few months ago and was prescribed anti deppressient which i take everyday but i feel worse now than before. I feel scuicidal. Today i went back to my doctor and told him i cant sleep and that i feel like id be better dead and i know this is wrong and dont know why i feel like this. The only reason i am still here is because god blessed me with a beautiful child whom i love and cannot leave. The doctor told me just try thinking more positivley. And that was that. Please pray for me, as i am praying for my son and folks who are worse off than me i feel to selfish to ask god to help me. It would help if i understood what was wrong with me. I want to enjoy christmas but know i will be full of nerves. I have also started subconciously clenching my teeth i try to stop but keep catching myself at it, this has made my jaws so sore i cant even bite through a sandwich.
Does anyone else have these problems?
 
In a word.Yes.
I am a chronic depressive. Your Doctor’s advice to “think more positive” is frankly ludicrous. If only it were as simple as that. I don’t think the winter helps either, with its lack of sunlight and cold.
I only took anti-depressants once, when I was younger, and got suicidal-made an attempt to take my life to be frank. I’ve later read that this is quite common. Something you should bear in mind.
Since you can’t ask God for help, I’m going to ask him for you. OK?
You are God’s precious child and He loves you, even if you don’t feel it right now.
Deep breath. Bear this, painful as it is, you won’t always feel like this. God bless.
 
Consider seeing a different doctor and/or a psychologist who may be able to help you talk through some of your issues.
You may do better on a different medication - I know many people who have changed anti-depressants and have done very well with the change - please see your doctor!!!

Also, consider asking about a mouth guard that can help with the jaw strain (it’s call “TMJ” - google that!)… you can even find those at your local drug store over the counter!

You will be in my thoughts and prayers… Peace be with you! 🙂
 
Hi Trish,

Praying for you. You’re not alone. I’ve also been in this state. It will pass. It is not you, though when it’s on your back it can feel hard to separate yourself from it.

In the meantime, ask your doctor to refer you to a psychiatrist. There are lots of different anti-depressants out there. At the moment it’s a case of educated guesswork to find the right one, but a psychiatrist is best placed to help. Also, ask your GP to refer you for cognitive behavioural therapy. This is increasingly available on the NHS.

If it’s not available, try one of the computer versions such as this: moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome This is a substitute for face-to-face therapy but the personal touch cannot be beaten. Your doctor was clumsily trying a quick form of CBT with you. Don’t dismiss what he said out of hand but recognise that the Son is still there, even though He’s behind a cloud. Let the light of the Christ child in *your *child shine on you. There is great meaning in caring for a child. Be good to yourself. You are loved.

Venerable John Henry Cardinal Newman pray for you. He seems to have suffered from this himself.

may the hidden joy of the Christ Child shine in your darkness

http://www.brown.edu/Courses/CG11/2007/Tatyana_Dyshlova/images/454px-Geertgen_tot_Sint_Jans_002.jpg

God bless.
 
Hello Trish. I have struggled with chronic depression and anxiety since I was 17. I understand your troubles. The first antidepressant I was prescribed was a drug called Paxil. It made me suicidal after taking it for about a week. After two weeks I stopped taking the drug without consulting the doctor- I think it was a very good decision. After that I tried 5 other drugs, none of which resolved my issues. However, these were actually prescribed by a psychiatrist, unlike the first which was prescribed by a general practitioner. I also went to counseling for about a year and a half: the therapy did help but it didn’t solve all of my issues. I also had problems with clenching my jaw and my teeth chattering- this was due to the medication.

I think the most important thing you can do is talk to a psychiatrist. A general practitioner doesn’t have the medical knowledge necessary care for a patient with mental and emotional health issues. Although the medications I tried didn’t help me, I think I am more of the exception than the rule. One of my close family members has been saved by psychiatric medication. It has taken her from paranoid schizophrenia to living a relatively normal and healthy life. Please try to find a doctor that will be able to help you.

I notice you aren’t Catholic, but Saint Dymphna is the patron saint of those with mental illness. If you feel comfortable, ask her to pray for you so that you may heal and be better able to care for yourself and your son. Our Lord will never forsake you, pray to Him for strength and healing.

If you ever want to talk about your struggle with mental health feel free to send me a personal message.

God Bless.

Edit: I will also add that it took me 3 years to look for help. Find and psychologist so you can feel well as soon as possible.
 
There is a book called Emerging from Depression, written by William Rabior, a priest. It is his personal story of depression.

Here are some myths he identifies in the book:
  • A real man or strong woman doesn’t get depressed, at least not for long.
  • A strong faith wards off depression.
So why do people suffer from depression. Some common triggers are: genetics, stress, grief,

How do you know you really suffer from depression: sleep disorders, obsessive thoughts, changes in appetite, poor concentration, inability to find pleasure in ordinary activities, persistent sadness,recurring thoughts of death.

What do you do: Find the right medication and the right mental health professional. As others have said, you need someone who specializes in depression.

You are not alone in this. There is someone out there who can help. Keep searching until you find the right doctor and the right medication. This isn’t an indictment against your faith.

May you find peace quickly.
 
May the Lord keep you safe from those thoughts and feelings.
Watch, O Lord, with those who wake, or watch, or weep tonight, and give Your angels and saints charge over those who sleep.
Tend Your sick ones, O Lord Christ.
Rest Your weary ones.
Bless Your dying ones.
Soothe Your suffering ones.
Pity Your afflicted ones.
Shield Your joyous ones, and all for Your love’s sake. Amen.
 
Thank you all for your advice and especialy for your prayers.
 
You are a melancholic, there are many like you, read this particularly VI METHOD OF SELF-TRAINING FOR THE MELANCHOLIC PERSON

fisheaters.com/quizm.html

Also might be an idea to stop watching the jeromy kyle show that would make even the angels depressed.
 
Ask your GP to refer you for counselling.He/she should have suggested this anyway! Keep going back and see a different doctor if necessary until you get a referral.

You are not alone.Someone I am close to suffers terrribly with depression and has had years of different counselling/therapy.At the moment she sees a psychiatrist weekly.
Prior to this she was attending a psychologist weekly for ABT Analytical bbehavioural therapy,this was for 6 mnths.

For months she had a counsellor come to her house each week.She has chronic depression (recurring).She has young children but still has made attempts on her life. It is difficult for me at times to understand.I love her no matter what.

She has been on medication for years but it has varied to find the right one for her.
At the moment she is really good and coping well.She has been good for about 6 weeks now.Before that she was really down and her therapy and medication was adjusted accordingly.

What I am trying to say is there is no one quick fix answer.It is about controlling/stabilising the condition and finding what works for you and it may be necessary to make adjustments from time to time.
I pray your GP will refer you and things will definitely improve.You are in my prayers.May God bless you.

A Novena Prayer to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Sacred Heart of Jesus, we know that there is but one thing impossible to You: to be without pity for those who are in suffering or distress. Look down on us, we beg of You and grant us the grace which we humbly and earnestly implore, through the Immaculate Heart of Your most sorrowful Mother to whom You confided us as her children, and whose prayers are all powerful with You. Amen.
 
I have treatment resisant depression, meaning that medication and therapy don’t work. I’ve tried to kill myself several times when I was younger.
I’m in the middle of a woozy of a depressed period. It’s hard to just get up and fake a smile. But people expect me to be happy, so off I act. It’s a very rough time, and even God doesn’t give me peace or strength. So it’s me against it.
 
I am so sorry Country Singer and all who suffer depression.

I wish I had some perfect answer but i don’t.I do however know it is different for all people.
AND there are many different medications available.You got to keep trying to find the one that suits you best,Also there are a variety of different forms of counselling.Cognitive CBT,AnalyticalABT,group therapies,one to one and many many more.

I care for someone who suffers this debilitationg condition.We have tried many different routes over the past 15yrs.Many have worked for periods of time others didn’t work at all.Medication has changed frequently.
The other thing is go on courses and learn as much as possible.I did this with the person I am close to and we both learned loads and helped others! by sharing feelings of how it affects you etc.

Please pray about this.God hears our prayers and answers.He loves all His children.
A good quick prayer

O Sacred Heart of Jesus I place my trust in You
O Sacred Heart of Jesus I place my trust in You
O Sacred Heart of Jesus I place my trust in You
 
This thread has prompted me to join the group St. Dymphna, Pray for Us- for those affected by mental illness. If any of you aren’t in the group you should join with me!

I will remember all of you in my prayers and ask you to do the same for me as the past two weeks have been the worst I have experienced since August.
 
kib I am so sorry.What a wonderful idea to join the St.Dymphna group.A prayer for you
A Novena Prayer to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Sacred Heart of Jesus, we know that there is but one thing impossible to You: to be without pity for those who are in suffering or distress. Look down on us, we beg of You and grant us the grace which we humbly and earnestly implore, through the Immaculate Heart of Your most sorrowful Mother to whom You confided us as her children, and whose prayers are all powerful with You. Amen.
 
I am so sorry Country Singer and all who suffer depression.

I wish I had some perfect answer but i don’t.I do however know it is different for all people.
AND there are many different medications available.You got to keep trying to find the one that suits you best,Also there are a variety of different forms of counselling.Cognitive CBT,AnalyticalABT,group therapies,one to one and many many more.
I’ve tried many different medications, the thing this, they give me seizures. I had one while teaching, ever since then, I don’t want anyone to be in danger because of me. If I get hurt, that’s no big deal. But as a future teacher, I couldn’t let a student get hurt.
 
Here i am again wide awake mind doing overtime, its 3.30am here in the UK and i am awake awake awake. M jaw is sore from clenching. I am sick fed up. I am going to a different doctor hopfully i get appointment before christmas.😦
 
I hope you can get an appointment, Trish.

I can honestly relate to the jaw thing. I often have to stop and make myself open my mouth and relax my jaw. Do you ever try to close your eyes and just focus on taking deep relaxing breaths? My former therapist got me to start wearing a rubber band on my wrist so I could snap it to “snap” myself out of whatever unhealthy thoughts were going through my mind. She always used to tell me to put as many “tools” in my psychological toolbox as possible. I know that is probably the last thing you are interested in doing, but try your best.
 
Trish,here’s praying and hoping your next doctor will listen to you and take you more seriously.I will continue to keep you and kib and Country Singer in my prayers.
I want you to have hope that with lots of trying of different things not just medication but therapyou will be able to control and stabilise your condition.
Help is available in many different ways.
In the Uk there are organisations you can join (free of charge) to help. MIND meets in our area twice weekly for clubs and sessions for meeting together in friendship and mutual support.
There are many others.Try to Google your area and see if there is anything available.

Country Singer I am so sorry you have problems with medication.How about intense therapy like the person I am close to has.She has weekly therapy and exercises to practice.

I love kib’s idea of joining the St.Dymphna group.May God bless you all and grant help in your time of need.My love and prayers for you all.God bless
Prayer for those undergoing depression
God in Heaven, we pray for all those undergoing depression, that the Lord will work out Your perfect will in their situation and bring about healing in Jesus Mighty Name, Amen. We ask that Jesus Christ, You are The Great Physician, please heal all those that have undergoing depression, let the fire of God destroy all causes of infirmity. We speak peace to all the patients and ask the healing virtue of Our Lord God will flow through the brain, through every vein, tissue, cell, ligament and that healing will manifest. We believe that Gods desire is manifest in your life. His desire is written in 3 John 2 “Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along”. We speak peace to all the families having which have someone undergoing depression. We speak uncommon provisions to cater for all the expenses needed to take care of the patients. We destroy every generational curses and declare that they will not continue but the blessings of God will overshadow each and every one of you. We are in agreement with Gods word in Jeremiah 30:17 “ But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds declares the LORD.” So be it, in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.
 
I saw a doctor this morning i am getting refered to a self help clinic run by a phsyciatrist she is ment to be really good. I got sleeping tablets called zolpadem. I am taking fluxitine anti depressant. I am keeping myself busy today so that i can get through the day. I am so sorry to hear that so many others suffer from this too i have you all in my prayers. Thank you and godbless.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top