Depression

  • Thread starter Thread starter trish_scotland
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trish,

I’m a psychiatrist myself and have been suffering from depression. It’s great that you’re calling another doctor. Sadly, many doctors out there still do not take depression and anxiety seriously. There is a lot of help to be found. The most important thing is that you find a doctor you trust and who makes you feel that you “click” and that he/she really understands what you’re going through.

In those situations, it’s very common to have suicidal thoughts. It’s a normal symptom of depression, so please don’t beat yourself up for having such thoughts. It’s a reaction to the feeling that there’s no way out. It’s important to try to remember that depression causes you to think in negative ways - you get a tunnel vision and are only able to see the bad outcome. Don’t forget that there’s tons of help you haven’t got yet, and that depression can be helped with lots of different methods that you don’t know about yet.

You’re in my prayers <3
 
Dear Trish,
I too am sorry the you are suffering dark days,I was wondering how old is your child.Since you are living in Scotland and you are in the depths of Winter:you are probably house bound with no sun and alone with no support system around you.Perhaps you should get a support group or friends around you,it is not enought to look after your kid but you have to love and look after yourself.The best way you can look after your child is to look after you!! I think that the peoples of Scotland have a sort of melancholic streak in them.I wonder if your tension levels have been slowly building up within you,perhaps you have not acknowledged these feelings within,until now when you are at bursting point.Have you tried natural ways of releiving your tensions such as a good massage,bath,sport or gym workout or music,reading a good book etc.Is it possible for you to have a break and leave your child with a relative or repite care.You would have to tell others that you are not coping well at all,yes you will have to swallow your pride.Years back I had been discharged from a psychiatric hospital ( a long story-9months before this I reverted back to my Catholic religion with great gusto),I was give a bottle of pills on discharge with a referal,I had one meeting with a “shrink”-he suggested something weird like becoming a watch maker or repairer.It was in the depths of winter(coming interstate from a warm & sunny climate).What those pills did was make me into zombie,I just sat doped up in a chair.About a week of this my dad said if I were you ,I would throw those pills into the rubbish bin and start doing some exercise and work.So I did chuck those pills and each day I hand dug in the large garden.By the end of three weeks I was employed in an office,working as a purchasing expediter(chasing people for delivery of goods,a pressure job).I used to cycle to work,go swiming or gym work out each night.A few years before that I too used to be so depressed and yes suicidal thoughts did come and so so lonely.But then again alchohol and illicit drugs,along with an immoral life were triggers for this.( for what it is worth,most of my clients call me smiIey-for the love of Jesus,I put on a happy face–Bl.Mother Therera gave me this idea,some say it is because I have a stress free job-if only they knew!) do not know your personal situation and I am not avocating “chucking” your pills away.I am presuming from your responses so far, that you are a prayer filled person so keep that up.But grace builds on nature so do try to explore other alternatives to medication or even both for a time.We are all different,but do not be playing the part of the victim ,though I do know that women do live for their children.But you, like a lot of mums need to have a little “me” time,it is not selfiness but a healthy realization that you are a person with feelings and needs that should be met."Lord give me joy,for the years that I knew misfortune"p.s.my favorite secular writer is Robert Louis Stevenson,I have read all 22volumns of his completed works,what a wonderful soul!
 
I saw a doctor this morning i am getting refered to a self help clinic run by a phsyciatrist she is ment to be really good. I got sleeping tablets called zolpadem. I am taking fluxitine anti depressant. I am keeping myself busy today so that i can get through the day. I am so sorry to hear that so many others suffer from this too i have you all in my prayers. Thank you and godbless.
Trish this is such positive good news.Well done you! It should be a lot easier to get help but sometimes you have to really push it ( if you get my meaning).
Glad you have been referred and have tablets to help you sleep.Im sure the doctor told you they might take a while before you notice the difference.Also hope the anit depressant helps and don’t forget if this one doesn’t help there are many many others to try until you get the one thats right for you.
You are doing all the right things.You are a wonderful person.
God bless you.Keep us informed about how you feel and Im sure we will all try to rally round with support for you.Happy Christmas
 
I saw a doctor this morning i am getting refered to a self help clinic run by a phsyciatrist she is ment to be really good. I got sleeping tablets called zolpadem. I am taking fluxitine anti depressant. I am keeping myself busy today so that i can get through the day. I am so sorry to hear that so many others suffer from this too i have you all in my prayers. Thank you and godbless.
(bouncing in here late). This is such a good move Trish. A side-effect of anti-depressants with some people is suicidal thoughts. All you have to do is read the label to see the warning about that. I like the sound of “self-help clinic.” After your moods (concentration, sleep, etc —depression is ***not ***just about moods!) stabilize, therapy (more like coaching) with self help /homework is the best.

The rest of you who are suffering (me too at times), try to notice the presence and absence of the illness. It is episodic… enjoy the times depression remits and *remember them *if/when an episode rears its ugly head. It helps hope-wise during episodes. Faking smiles always stinks. Prayers for you!

I know the titles of good self-help workbooks, etc. I always hesitate to post them because they are not Catholic/Christian… but secular. However, there are two Catholic books for those of you Catholic. One is posted above and it is a good one (even for non-Catholics!) The other is “Surviving Depression: A Catholic Approach” by Hermes.
 
The rest of you who are suffering (me too at times), try to notice the presence and absence of the illness. It is episodic… enjoy the times depression remits and *remember them *if/when an episode rears its ugly head. It helps hope-wise during episodes. Faking smiles always stinks. Prayers for you!
Well that was darn technical! Depression comes in waves, like the ocean. When it comes in, keep in mind it will go out if only a little. St. Elizabeth Seton used this method to manage her depression. Don’t have her quote offhand but she has lots of them in her writings.
 
Dear Trish,
I too am sorry the you are suffering dark days,I was wondering how old is your child.Since you are living in Scotland and you are in the depths of Winter:you are probably house bound with no sun and alone with no support system around you.Perhaps you should get a support group or friends around you,it is not enought to look after your kid but you have to love and look after yourself.The best way you can look after your child is to look after you!! I think that the peoples of Scotland have a sort of melancholic streak in them.I wonder if your tension levels have been slowly building up within you,perhaps you have not acknowledged these feelings within,until now when you are at bursting point.Have you tried natural ways of releiving your tensions such as a good massage,bath,sport or gym workout or music,reading a good book etc.Is it possible for you to have a break and leave your child with a relative or repite care.You would have to tell others that you are not coping well at all,yes you will have to swallow your pride.Years back I had been discharged from a psychiatric hospital ( a long story-9months before this I reverted back to my Catholic religion with great gusto),I was give a bottle of pills on discharge with a referal,I had one meeting with a “shrink”-he suggested something weird like becoming a watch maker or repairer.It was in the depths of winter(coming interstate from a warm & sunny climate).What those pills did was make me into zombie,I just sat doped up in a chair.About a week of this my dad said if I were you ,I would throw those pills into the rubbish bin and start doing some exercise and work.So I did chuck those pills and each day I hand dug in the large garden.By the end of three weeks I was employed in an office,working as a purchasing expediter(chasing people for delivery of goods,a pressure job).I used to cycle to work,go swiming or gym work out each night.A few years before that I too used to be so depressed and yes suicidal thoughts did come and so so lonely.But then again alchohol and illicit drugs,along with an immoral life were triggers for this.( for what it is worth,most of my clients call me smiIey-for the love of Jesus,I put on a happy face–Bl.Mother Therera gave me this idea,some say it is because I have a stress free job-if only they knew!) do not know your personal situation and I am not avocating “chucking” your pills away.I am presuming from your responses so far, that you are a prayer filled person so keep that up.But grace builds on nature so do try to explore other alternatives to medication or even both for a time.We are all different,but do not be playing the part of the victim ,though I do know that women do live for their children.But you, like a lot of mums need to have a little “me” time,it is not selfiness but a healthy realization that you are a person with feelings and needs that should be met."Lord give me joy,for the years that I knew misfortune"p.s.my favorite secular writer is Robert Louis Stevenson,I have read all 22volumns of his completed works,what a wonderful soul!
Hi there karolek thank you for your kind advice, thank you to everyone for their kind words. I just wanted to let you know that yes we are in the middle of winter and have lots of snow at the moment but i am not house bound i live is a town full of people, and a good community i dont live in the wilderness or anything although sometimes i wish i did. I am sick of the ice at the moment though i cant walk anywhere without sliding haha. I am also not trying to play the part of no victim i am merely expressing my feelings and trying to understand why i feel like this.My child will be nine on sunday, I do have me time as my husbands parents take my child every other weekend and my husband works while my child is in school so i am alone alot. Thank you for your thoughts. God bless.
 
Lord, our God, you graciously chose St. Dymphna as patroness of those afflicted with mental and nervous disorders. She is thus an inspiration and a symbol of charity to the thousands who ask her intercession.

Please grant, Lord, through the prayers of this pure youthful martyr, relief and consolation to all suffering such trials, and especially for Trish.

We beg you, Lord, to hear the prayers of St. Dymphna on our behalf. Grant all those for whom we pray patience in their sufferings and resignation to your divine will. Please fill them with hope, and grant them the relief and cure they so much desire.

We ask this through Christ our Lord who suffered agony in the garden. Amen.
 
Trish:

I will be praying for you throughout the day and at the vigil mass this evening. God bless you and keep you safe. You are not alone.
 
Trish, praying for you. This will not last forever. The Psalms are very good in times like this. Remember, it is the Lord praying the Psalms in us. Wherever we are, he has been lower and is lifting us up from beneath:

Psalm 42 RSV
As a hart longs
for flowing streams,
so longs my soul
for thee, O God.
[2] My soul thirsts for God,
for the living God.
When shall I come and behold
the face of God?
[3] My tears have been my food
day and night,
while men say to me continually,
“Where is your God?”
[4] These things I remember,
as I pour out my soul:
how I went with the throng,
and led them in procession to the house of God,
with glad shouts and songs of thanksgiving,
a multitude keeping festival.
[5] Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my help
[6] and my God.
My soul is cast down within me,
therefore I remember thee
from the land of Jordan and of Hermon,
from Mount Mizar.
[7] Deep calls to deep
at the thunder of thy cataracts;
all thy waves and thy billows
have gone over me.
[8] By day the LORD commands his steadfast love;
and at night his song is with me,
a prayer to the God of my life.
[9] I say to God, my rock:
“Why hast thou forgotten me?
Why go I mourning
because of the oppression of the enemy?”
[10] As with a deadly wound in my body,
my adversaries taunt me,
while they say to me continually,
“Where is your God?”
[11] Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my help and my God.

If you are ever feeling suicidal, *please *talk to someone, ideally face-to-face or, if not, please call the Samaritans: 08457 90 90 90.

Praying for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top