DeSantis' disastrous Covid reponse

• Thread starter Thread starter puer.dei
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I don’t answer to you for what I post. If you want to discuss California & New York’s Covid responses, you are perfectly free to start threads on them.
And yet, you haven’t done so. Hmmmmm.

According to today’s numbers from the John Hopkin’s COVID dashboard:

US death rate: 1.80%

Death Rates for the states with the most COVID cases:
New York: 4.4%
Pennsylvania: 2.5%
Michigan: 2.4%
Georgia 1.81%
Illinois: 1.78%
Florida: 1.7%
Texas 1.6%
California: 1.3%
Ohio 1.3%
Tennessee 1.2%

The key observation is that Florida’s death rate is below the US average

The article addresses Florida’s failings in handling Covid. Period. If you don’t want to discuss them, feel free to leave the thread.
Or, you could discuss why you approve of DeSantis’ policies.
But dodging with whataboutism doesn’t impress anyone.

Last edited:
Over 20,000 deaths, and you think those victims and their families should be winked at.
Pitiful.

I live in Florida. I know of several people that are terribly worried about the COVID virus, to the point that they now rarely leave their home. I’ve not heard anyone being critical of the governor or the Florida governments response to the virus though. I had another conversation just yesterday with a home repair guy about the virus. He was deeply worried about it, for himself, his workers and his family. His mom in particular lives in a retirement home. He felt fortunate though for the state to still be mostly economically open, being able to work and make a living.

The big thing in the past and imagine today since it has returned to a lesser degree is to complain about the governor and Florida government poor response to red tide and fish kills. That has been a much bigger issue complained about, from my experience.

Along similar lines was troubled to read yesterday about the negative effects of the harsh lock downs in some states, in particular run by Democrat politicians. I wish a happier balance could be found with keeping people safe from the virus, and helping with the negative effects of the lockdowns.

Overdose deaths accelerated as pandemic hit, CDC says, with record 80k dead in a 12-month span

&

Pandemic Forced Nearly 8M Americans Into Poverty Over Last 6 Months

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/poverty-economy-coronavirus-unemployment/2020/12/17/id/1002033/

And I believe that Florida has a higher per capita number of citizens that are elderly than California and New York - and they are doing a better job over all than many states. Which begs the question why there are so many stories about the failings of Florida and not as many stories about the failings of Cuomo [New York] and Newsome [California]?

Not only is the sub-text of these stories the failings of Republican Governors - it also encompasses the Trump voters … you see that on threads about defending rights and re-opening schools - as if conservatives and or Republicans are careless, anti-science and selfish. And only Democratic Governors and votes are practicing safely regarding the COVID virus. Which of course is not the case.

Allowing unlimited crowds to protest including riots, arson, looting, assaults and murder while closing businesses and churches was ridiculous. Designating liquor stores, marijuana dispensaries and Hollywood to be essential is ridiculous. Saying people have to stay home and not shake hands but strangers if they individually do a risk assessment can leave home to meet up for sex was not only ridiculous but outrageous. 🤨

Limiting church attendance to 25 people including the ministers - regardless of the size and seating limitation of the building is neither science based nor keeping citizens safe - it was and is an attack on faith. 😠

But lets just call the Florida Governor out for mishandling COVID … when he obviously is doing better than many others … and castigate those that notice he is doing better and question the story :roll_eyes:

Is Florida reporting their deaths. They’ve kind of kept the numbers hidden

As of recently they weren’t reporting people with residences outside of Florida as Florida COVID deaths. Sorry snowbirds!

Been a lot of stat juicing generally in that state.

Numbers are from the John Hopkins website. Have evidence Florida is intentionally misreporting deaths?

I think the correct analysis to make is what FL did and what results occurred. The states are too different to make blanket comparisons. I think.

I think the correct analysis to make is what FL did and what results occurred. The states are too different to make blanket comparisons. I think.
And what other scale would you use to score their performance?

Numbers are from the John Hopkins website. Have evidence Florida is intentionally misreporting deaths?
Actually, DeSantis and the state of Florida have been accused of this. And then there was a state police raid, with guns drawn, on the home of a data scientist who was fired from her job who accused the state of misleading people about the COVID situation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back