Designing a "Catholic" House--thoughts on floorplan?

  • Thread starter Thread starter camerong
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

camerong

Guest
Designing a “Catholic” House–thoughts on floorplan?

Hi everyone,
I started a thread called "Designing a ‘Catholic’ House last December, and received some wonderful ideas on how to make a house most conducive towards faith life at home. Here’s that thread. Basically, my wife and I are designing a house that will be built in the Spring. It’s in a new neighborhood within a view of a new Church, and we’re very excited. We have a 9 month old boy and another one on the way.

I realize the design of the house is much less important than what goes on inside the house, but as long as we’re completely in control of the design, we might as well try to foster the domestic church as much as we can. Since we are hoping for a large family, we will need a reasonable amount of space–on the other hand, I want to have a modest, reasonable house that allows us financial freedom (and does not allow us to accumulate too much junk!). I’m torn between these two goals.

They say that the average house size has increased dramatically in the past 50 years, even as family sizes have shrunk. This floor plan is 2,300 square feet, which is bigger than I hoped–but I think it is a pretty efficient plan, meaning it will cost much less to build, heat, and cool than most 2,300 square foot houses. Some of the features (second floor laundry room, big mudroom) will really make life easier for a large family, minimizing cleaning and allowing us more time and energy to spend with the children. Also, we will be doing a bit of the work ourselves, and doing a lot of the built-ins later on. But I still feel twinges of regret at building such a large house…

At any rate, I would love to see what this faithful community thinks of the plan. Posting to this forum is often part of our prayerful discernment! 🙂 Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!!

First floor:


Second floor:
 
I really think that’s a well thought out floor plan. I often thought it would be nice to have an area in the home where one could go in quite to pray and talk to God. If you don’t fill the Nursery with a kid in the future that would be a great area to for a prayer room.
Did you draw the plan yourself? Or find it online? Do you know what design software was used to draw it?
Thanks
TW
 
Unless you are heart set on this plan, which I do love, please consider this. I’ve always felt that 2 story homes should have one bedroom on the ground floor. One never knows when a time may come when you or your wife may not be able to walk up and down the stairs. My SIL was thankful that my Mom convinced them to put in a downstairs bedroom when she had to have her knee replaced. It could also be used as a guest room away from your bedroom and the children’s rooms.

May God bless your new home.
 
Very nice! Love the master closet! The only thing I would change for me personally would be to make the downstairs library a secondary master bedroom with an attached bath for in-laws and guests while moving the library up and making that a library/office and leave the nursery as a standalone room, but that’s just a personal preference really, probably because our in-laws stay over a LOT, haha. Good luck!
 
I agree with the previous poster that a specific place for pray and devotion can be helpful. We live in an old house, so this is just a closet for us, but it is nice to have a place where we can quietly sit and pray and keep the various devotional items, prayer books and icons that we have. It is even better if it faces to the East.

Another thing I think is nice is something I saw in a friend’s house. She has a large hallway where they hang stations of the cross during Lent. The entire family gathers there and goes up and down the hallway praying together. A wall where you hang pictures that is big enough would work for that.

One practical consideration is openness to life. I wish I had thought more about this. You don’t have to have a separate room for every child, but if I could, I would have a room for bunking girls, a room for bunking boys and a nursery. Again, a large space isn’t necessary, but if the layout is right, I’ve seen people bunk four kids in a room.

By the way, I think the house plan looks great!
 
Beautiful house! You mentioned wanting a large family - will 3/4 bedrooms be enough? Also, if you’re feeling a twinge of regret at building such a large house, you might consider paring down the Master Suite first. It looks huge. Do you need such a large walk-in closet?

But I love love love that you have a library. St. Therese’s parents used to gather them around in the library every night to read the Bible and discuss heaven.
 
Very nicely done…

It appears that you are planning on a full basement…This is great. Leave it unfinished, at least for the most part as this makes a great place for he kids to play when the weather outside is bad. Also…make sure to include an outside entrance to the basement.

I have to say that I am concerned about the size of the children’s bedrooms since you are planning for a large family. The layout of the windows etc could pose problems in trying to fit extra beds, or bunk beds into the rooms…

Also, while upstairs laundries are quite popular these days…I am not a fan. Washing machines can malfunction and overflow…having finished rooms underneath of the washer could be a potential disaster. Just my opinion…

But if it were my design, I would use that sqft to make the bedrooms bigger and put the laundry either in the mudroom area or, even better, the basement.
One could easily include a laundry chute from the second floor to the basement OR, without too much trouble or sqft, install a dumbwaiter so that one would not have to shlep the laundry up the stairs. (though shlepping is a good job for the kids…to help mom and learn responsibility…:D:thumbsup:).

Hope I don’t sound too critical…Really everything stems from my concern over the bedroom sizes for the hope for, large family.

Peace
James
 
The master closet is AMAZING!!! I would love an area like that, especially with the vanity area. Do not skimp on storage - you will be frustrated to no end if you do.

I don’t see any designated prayer space. My only suggestion would be that, if you can afford it, somehow work in a prayer area that is designated/dedicated space for the family to go and pray together. A place where there are no distractions - even if they are turned off or put away. When one enters into a space that is put aside for prayer, their mind wanders less and is focused more, on the purpose of being there.

Otherwise - great floorplan!!!

~Liza
 
Unless you are heart set on this plan, which I do love, please consider this. I’ve always felt that 2 story homes should have one bedroom on the ground floor. One never knows when a time may come when you or your wife may not be able to walk up and down the stairs. My SIL was thankful that my Mom convinced them to put in a downstairs bedroom when she had to have her knee replaced. It could also be used as a guest room away from your bedroom and the children’s rooms.

May God bless your new home.
I want to echo this suggestion and add that you need at least a shower option downstairs for the same reason. I’d also move the laundry downstairs. As people age stairs can force them out of familiar surroundings. Should one of you get alzheimers or dementia at a later point in life, being able to convert the mudroom into a bedroom and have a bath downstairs, might make all the difference between home for a few more years ( due to the patterns of recognition formed by living in your old home) and having to move to an assisted living facility at an earlier age.
May God bless you and your family.

(P.S. If you want to save space, formal living rooms are one more room to clean that oftentimes are only used a few times a year. I’ve always seen the kitchen as the heart of the home and one livingroom/playroom will keep the family together-especially as you have the library:thumbsup: for quieter pursuits/retreats.)
 
Have to agree with those who propose a downstairs bedroom…But truthfully if it comes to that, the Library can be converted…Downstairs shower is a good idea too.

Peace
James
 
Thanks everyone for the great ideas.

TW, I designed the floorplan mostly myself on floorplanner.com, but the plan I’m showing is a version of my plan made by a wonderful poster on gardenweb’s house building forum. I believe she uses software developed by one of her family members.

Making the kid’s bedrooms and nursery bigger and the master closet smaller is definitely an option we’re considering. I suspect the walk in will be more like 6x10 rather than 6x13, depending on the shower arrangement.

We will leave the basement unfinished but plan on having two bedrooms in the basement. I figure teenagers will get their own big rooms in the basement, and that will leave us with a 6 bedroom house. I’m planning on the two kids’ bedrooms upstairs being bunk rooms, according to gender (if we’re blessed with that many).

Regarding the bathroom downstairs… its tough because both of our parents live in town and are very close. We have a lot of family in town on both sides, so the chances of us having to take care of an infirm elderly relative are somewhat small. I’m not thrilled about taking up valuable main floor space with a shower that may never get used, so what I’m thinking about doing is roughing in a shower someplace (maybe the corner of the bathroom) and then if the time comes, I can uncover the floor drain, install the shower head, etc. As has been mentioned, we can definitely convert the library to a guest room if we need to. We’ll see about the bathroom.

That’s interesting about the upstairs laundry, we’ll consider that. I think probably the convenience of having laundry on the same floor as the bedrooms outweighs the risk of it flooding, but we’ll think about it.

Regarding the prayer space, that will be the library. I may have an alcove in the drywall for a statue of Mary, or the like. We’ll see. Thanks everyone!! Your thoughts have been great and helped reassure me, especially about the size of the house.
 
I would suggest a downstairs laundry room and just have a laundry chute on the 2nd floor. You could also consider installing a dumbwaiter to move laundry baskets if it was absolutely needed. Large appliances can malfunction and lead to serious water damage. Keeping appliances on the lowest level would make cleanup much easier if something ever happened. Keep in mind that if you plan to have lots of kids you will have lots of arms and legs to move that laundry back upstairs! 🙂

I think I remember hearing that the Duggars created a “boy’s suite” and a “girl’s suite” so that they could fit lots of kids in a small number of bedrooms. That also means a “boy’s bathroom” and a “girl’s bathroom”. This probably prevents a lot of problems between siblings. As the kids get older the boys and the girls won’t want to share a bathroom while getting ready in the morning.
 
Thanks everyone for the great ideas.

TW, I designed the floorplan mostly myself on floorplanner.com, but the plan I’m showing is a version of my plan made by a wonderful poster on gardenweb’s house building forum. I believe she uses software developed by one of her family members.
Glad our thoughts did not throw you for a loop…My wife and I designed out house and I know how difficult it can be…
Making the kid’s bedrooms and nursery bigger and the master closet smaller is definitely an option we’re considering. I suspect the walk in will be more like 6x10 rather than 6x13, depending on the shower arrangement.
We will leave the basement unfinished but plan on having two bedrooms in the basement. I figure teenagers will get their own big rooms in the basement, and that will leave us with a 6 bedroom house. I’m planning on the two kids’ bedrooms upstairs being bunk rooms, according to gender (if we’re blessed with that many).
If you plan on bedrooms in the basement…check your building codes for window sizes - egress. Otherwise - yea this is a good option.
Regarding the bathroom downstairs… its tough because both of our parents live in town and are very close. We have a lot of family in town on both sides, so the chances of us having to take care of an infirm elderly relative are somewhat small. I’m not thrilled about taking up valuable main floor space with a shower that may never get used, so what I’m thinking about doing is roughing in a shower someplace (maybe the corner of the bathroom) and then if the time comes, I can uncover the floor drain, install the shower head, etc. As has been mentioned, we can definitely convert the library to a guest room if we need to. We’ll see about the bathroom.
I like the idea of roughing in for the shower. To that end I would suggest creating a floor plan now with the assumed changes…That way you can really get a good look at it before hand.
Depending on your future plans…Don’t just think in terms of elderly relatives…you and your wife may wind up being the “infirm” ones…
That’s interesting about the upstairs laundry, we’ll consider that. I think probably the convenience of having laundry on the same floor as the bedrooms outweighs the risk of it flooding, but we’ll think about it.
Yea - it does…until it happens…My wife insisted on having the laundry upstairs when we built our house…We’ve already had two floods in 12 years…Thankfully they were not horrendous and since ours is a ranch style, the lower level is an unfinished basement.
Regarding the prayer space, that will be the library. I may have an alcove in the drywall for a statue of Mary, or the like. We’ll see. Thanks everyone!! Your thoughts have been great and helped reassure me, especially about the size of the house.
That sounds great.
There are so many things to consider and there are always trade-offs.
 
One could easily include a laundry chute from the second floor to the basement OR, without too much trouble or sqft, install a dumbwaiter so that one would not have to shlep the laundry up the stairs. (though shlepping is a good job for the kids…to help mom and learn responsibility…:D:thumbsup:).
You’re right, but it will be quite a few years before mom can benefit from that scenario, with the oldest child being only 9 months. I’m picturing my 6 year old (and even my 8 year old) tripping while trying to bring a basket full of heavy laundry up the stairs. The laundry goes tumbling everywhere, requiring it to be refolded. Of course, that’s after it has been picked up and put back in the basket, which your average child might or might not attend to without supervision. Meanwhile, before the laundry has found its way back in the basket, the toddler has run off with a good portion of the clothing. I’m all for the upstairs laundry room!
 
You’re right, but it will be quite a few years before mom can benefit from that scenario, with the oldest child being only 9 months. I’m picturing my 6 year old (and even my 8 year old) tripping while trying to bring a basket full of heavy laundry up the stairs. The laundry goes tumbling everywhere, requiring it to be refolded. Of course, that’s after it has been picked up and put back in the basket, which your average child might or might not attend to without supervision. Meanwhile, before the laundry has found its way back in the basket, the toddler has run off with a good portion of the clothing. I’m all for the upstairs laundry room!
Very vivid image I must say…😃

Naturally adjustments are made for wee ones…And of course there will be accidents. That is all part of the learning curve…AND the development of responsibility…

But It’s not my house – - - It will be up the Mr and Mrs Camerong…

Peace
James
 
As far as the laundry upstairs leaking, they should/ can install what’s called a washer pan. Which is a plastic pan with a drain in it so if the washer ever fails its your backup to prevent flooding or water damage from the washer.
 
As far as the laundry upstairs leaking, they should/ can install what’s called a washer pan. Which is a plastic pan with a drain in it so if the washer ever fails its your backup to prevent flooding or water damage from the washer.
Yup…It’s also a good idea to have the entire floor in that room lined with a rubber membrane product…Don’t remember the name…Saw it on a Holmes on Homes program…He did not have a very high opinion of the washer pans as I recall and frankly - neither do I…That’s just me…

As far as the OP and the floor plan is concerned, my objection had more to do with the size of the kid’s bedrooms especially since they are planning on a large family…10 X 13 is not very big if you find yourself with 4 boys and maybe only one or two girls ( or versa-visee)

I know this because I made this mistake when I designed my house…And even though we have no children at home, I find these rooms to be on the small side…I’m afraid that the OP will also…

Peace
James
 
Y
I know this because I made this mistake when I designed my house…And even though we have no children at home, I find these rooms to be on the small side…I’m afraid that the OP will also…

Peace
James
I don’t know why young people today need such large rooms. I raised three kids in a 1100 sq ft house with one bathroom. My friend raised 8 kids in a house this size also with one bathroom. My bedroom is just a little bigger than the OPs closet. My mom and her two siblings (including a brother) shared a 7x0 ft room and you had to walk through their parent’s room to get to their room.

Today everyone thinks bigger is better. I prefer a simple home. Even with all the kids friends over it never really felt too small. I would have liked a bit more attic space though for all the stuff we have collected in 35 years of marriage.
 
I don’t know why young people today need such large rooms. I raised three kids in a 1100 sq ft house with one bathroom. My friend raised 8 kids in a house this size also with one bathroom. My bedroom is just a little bigger than the OPs closet. My mom and her two siblings (including a brother) shared a 7x0 ft room and you had to walk through their parent’s room to get to their room.

Today everyone thinks bigger is better. I prefer a simple home. Even with all the kids friends over it never really felt too small. I would have liked a bit more attic space though for all the stuff we have collected in 35 years of marriage.
I understand what you are saying… Certainly it can be done…but if one can plan for more room…why not do it…
They are designing their house now…It’s best to try to get it as right as they can. IF they were to remove the Laundry room it would only add 3 feet to each bedroom making them roughly 13 x 13…Not overly large for multiple kids.
Of course if it were me, I’d probably look to move the closet in the back bedroom over into that space freed up by moving the laundry ----- or maybe not ----- Oh - don’t get me started…

Peace
James
 
Very vivid image I must say…😃

Naturally adjustments are made for wee ones…And of course there will be accidents. That is all part of the learning curve…AND the development of responsibility…

But It’s not my house – - - It will be up the Mr and Mrs Camerong…

Peace
James
Of course, development of responsibility is important. So is giving your children age appropriate jobs that they can complete in a manner that actually helps mom. My 10 year old could do the job of bringing laundry upstairs beautifully. That leaves 9 years or so for mom to lug lots of laundry upstairs. Sometimes while pregnant. I say give the poor mom a break. My older children are starting to be very helpful now, but it has been a long 8-10 years getting to that point.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top