C
CompSciGuy
Guest
The past couple of days I have been experiencing what I believe has been described to me by others as desolation. I have been in a sort of depressed state of mind, although not necessarily always unhappy, but in particular a spiritually depressed state that affects other aspects of my life. It began when I was debating a pro-choice person on facebook (bad idea from the get-go) and then became worse when I heard some news story about ISIS burning christian children in cages. It made me ill to think of it, and though I prayed fervently upon hearing this, I had begun to wonder if God was going to help those being persecuted, or if ISIS was going to triumph. My ‘desolation’ did not lift after going to confession yesterday, and tonight I hit an all-time low when I went to an adult faith formation program at my parish where I usually get really excited and involved in the small group discussions, but I completely fell flat. I had nothing to share, and I felt ashamed because the topic was personal prayer which is an area that I have been failing in and haven’t seen much progress. Furthermore when I got home I found I was tempted toward the same sins I had confessed the day before, in particular impatience with other people, especially my spouse. I haven’t felt this low in a long time. To be clear, I am not losing my faith nor am I in any way planning on leaving the Catholic Church, now or ever. I am just at a very, very low point spiritually. I have never felt further from God than I do currently. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if there is anything I should expect.