R
rose_m
Guest
Hi all,
I’m not Catholic (I lean more towards the anabaptists) but I’ve recently come to appreciate the deutercanonical books after starting to learn about and read the ante-nicene church writings. I have a copy of the NRSV with the deutercanonical books. I’ve almost finished reading through them for the first time.
I’ve recently been trying to read some of the books from the RSV to my older children but the language is just to advanced for them. This brings me to my question, can somebody point me to a website that goes into in detail or perhaps just tell me here what English translations of the Bible include the deutercanon and where they fall on the literal to paraphrase spectrum. As I’m not Catholic I don’t particularly care about the lectionary notes or whether or not they are officially sanctioned by the Catholic church. If I can get a complete enough understanding and list created I may make a website to share my findings. It seems to me that for every thousand pro-traditional protestant doctrine sites on the internet there is online one Catholic site. I understand that that’s a bit of a church culture difference but it’s frustrating when I want to find information from “the other side”.
Also, does anybody know if any of these versions, besides the Douay-Rheims, are available for free download?
Here’s my start:
Douay-Rheims–officially sanctioned–literal, and more challenging to read–available online or for download
World English Bible–non-Catholic versions–literal, moderately challenging–available for online for download in text or audio
New Revised Standard–non-Catholic versions–literal, moderately challenging–available for online only
Jerusalem Bible–officially sanctioned–?–?
New Jerusalem Bible–officially sanctioned–?–?
Good New Bible (aka. Today’s English Version)----non-Catholic versions–paraphrase, easy to read–available to read online but not to download
New American Bible–officially sanctioned–?–?
I’m not Catholic (I lean more towards the anabaptists) but I’ve recently come to appreciate the deutercanonical books after starting to learn about and read the ante-nicene church writings. I have a copy of the NRSV with the deutercanonical books. I’ve almost finished reading through them for the first time.
I’ve recently been trying to read some of the books from the RSV to my older children but the language is just to advanced for them. This brings me to my question, can somebody point me to a website that goes into in detail or perhaps just tell me here what English translations of the Bible include the deutercanon and where they fall on the literal to paraphrase spectrum. As I’m not Catholic I don’t particularly care about the lectionary notes or whether or not they are officially sanctioned by the Catholic church. If I can get a complete enough understanding and list created I may make a website to share my findings. It seems to me that for every thousand pro-traditional protestant doctrine sites on the internet there is online one Catholic site. I understand that that’s a bit of a church culture difference but it’s frustrating when I want to find information from “the other side”.
Also, does anybody know if any of these versions, besides the Douay-Rheims, are available for free download?
Here’s my start:
Douay-Rheims–officially sanctioned–literal, and more challenging to read–available online or for download
World English Bible–non-Catholic versions–literal, moderately challenging–available for online for download in text or audio
New Revised Standard–non-Catholic versions–literal, moderately challenging–available for online only
Jerusalem Bible–officially sanctioned–?–?
New Jerusalem Bible–officially sanctioned–?–?
Good New Bible (aka. Today’s English Version)----non-Catholic versions–paraphrase, easy to read–available to read online but not to download
New American Bible–officially sanctioned–?–?
:byzsoc: